Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

My landlord is taking me to court over unpaid rent (although i believe have a perfectly justifiable reason for this). I have been sent a letter from the court stating that 'The Judge considers that this claim is suitable for mediation under the COURT'S FREE SMALL CLAIMS MEDIATION SERVICE'. However, prior to the landlord taking me to court, i was involved in prolonged discussions with him and we basically just went around in circles (different version of events etc.). So, i think such a service would be a waste of time. However, would this look badly on me when it does come to court if i refuse such mediation??

ReputationRep:
    anyone??

ReputationRep:
    Hi, we had a problem with the landlord in my old flat, that he didnt do anything to fix stuff/took ages, but from what we could work out it is illegal to with hold rent seems really unfair

ReputationRep:
    do you have photos or anything like that? that you can use as evidence?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ryssy)
    Hi, we had a problem with the landlord in my old flat, that he didnt do anything to fix stuff/took ages, but from what we could work out it is illegal to with hold rent seems really unfair
    It's quite simple, if you pay a contract agreeing to pay X amount of rent for Y amount of months, you are actually breaking the law if you don't do so. There is nothing unfair about that, you're receiving a service, you should expect to pay for it. Yes, I know it's unfair when some of the landlords out there aren't very pleasant, but that is why you make sure you get a decent landlord (ie; going through a recommended firm) and ensure you have evidence at every stage (ie; photos, signed correspondence, stuff written into the contract, etc).

Mediation is a sort of informal process of trying to resolve the situation. Now you can always not go, however, it won't do you any favours because no doubt the case will be referred to the small claims court whereby you get served with a summons and sued for costs, and made to pay court costs, plus it probably won't do your case any good that you have been uncooperative. At least if you go to mediation there is a possibility to somehow get this issue resolved, out of court, without the associated costs.

ReputationRep:
    there were genuine reasons why i didn't pay my rent, which i relayed in my defence. my landlord then replied stating a completley different story so i can't really see a negitioation being taken place. I had numerous conversations both written and on the phone prior to him sueing me to resolve the situation but, quite simply, our stories disagree. I just felt no amount of mediation would help to solve this. However, seeing as the judge has recommended it, i thought perhaps that it would look negatively on me if i didn't ask a mediator to intervene. Is this the case?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.