Tsarist and communist Russia Essays AQA

Watch this thread
hollyrose193
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
I have taken my Y12 mock exams recently and I'm fairly sure they have not gone great in History. I'm planning on speaking to my teacher about my essay structure and timings, especially for Tsarist and Communist Russia as I seem to be getting level 3s for that side of the course, and consistent Level 5s for my Modern Britain side of the course. I'm just looking for any tips on writing thematic essays, specifically in timed conditions, or any tips in general for Tsarist and Communist Russia, because I'm struggling the most in that side of my history course and I'd like to have it figured out before I start getting into Y13.Thanks
Last edited by hollyrose193; 1 month ago
sickofthis
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hollyrose193)
I have taken my Y12 mock exams recently and I'm fairly sure they have not gone great in History. I'm planning on speaking to my teacher about my essay structure and timings, especially for Tsarist and Communist Russia as I seem to be getting level 3s for that side of the course, and consistent Level 5s for my Modern Britain side of the course. I'm just looking for any tips on writing thematic essays, specifically in timed conditions, or any tips in general for Tsarist and Communist Russia, because I'm struggling the most in that side of my history course and I'd like to have it figured out before I start getting into Y13.Thanks
Hi, I don't do Tsarist and Communist Russia but I do do Lenin to Yeltsin Russia, so hopefully I can still be of use! For a thematic essay, they usually give you a theme in the question (i'm supposing) so I personally would structure it in this way

Introduction :
- Reach an overall judgement on what thematic idea you think is the most significant in relation to your question
- Consider what other themes or ideas may also be significant and if they could possibly be more/less significant than the named one

Paragraph 1
- Opening judgement about the theme you consider most significant
- Relevant contextual knowledge about this particular theme
- How this knowledge shows the significance of your answer (analysis)
- Perhaps concessions or other relevant material
- Overall judgement at the end of your paragraph

You should basically do the same for the other two paragraphs but making other points the focus of the overall judgement. Any evidence you do bring in has to be relevant to the point you're making and analysed enough to actually be creditworthy. A judgement always has to be made by the end of the paragraph (might actually be helpful if you do so in the actual paragraph if you know you have the time to). However, if you are constantly getting L5 in modern Britain, then you know that you have the ability to write good essays and structure them well. Try practicing them under timed conditions and always give yourself a few moments to think of a logical plan before starting to write.

I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck!
h8 speech
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Don't forget to mention that Yakov Yurovsky the man who killed the Tsar and the family (including kids) was Jewish.

I dare you. You cannot state facts. These criminal gangs of Khazars have commite far more evil in the world than their 6 million.
scarlett000
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
hey, what were the questions on for both topics?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads