The Student Room Group

How to stop dandruff?

I'm a south asian girl and have the average texture of someone of my background and no matter what I do I always end up getting dandruff a few days later, even with supposedly anti-dandruff shampoo. Help on solving this?
How do you moisturise your scalp after washing your hair?
Original post by SagaciousSag
How do you moisturise your scalp after washing your hair?

no... how would I so that?
I sometimes put oil in it (e.g. castor or black seed oil) after a few days but I assume you're not talking about that, if that even classifies as moisturising which I don't think it does.
Original post by Anonymous
no... how would I so that?
I sometimes put oil in it (e.g. castor or black seed oil) after a few days but I assume you're not talking about that, if that even classifies as moisturising which I don't think it does.

That's probably why you have dandruff. I think the best thing to do is to use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair if you don't already, and then try applying a little bit of oil to your scalp. Leave-in conditioner might be good for your hair every couple of days as well.
That's probably why you have dandruff. I think the best thing to do is to use a conditioner after you shampoo your hair if you don't already, and then try applying a little bit of oil to your scalp. Leave-in conditioner might be good for your hair every couple of days as well.

I normally put conditioner on anyway as my hair gets frizzy if I don't, but you could you please elaborate as to how one goes about moisturising their scalp? Is there a in ingredient or formula in a product that mositurises? Sorry if I'm being tiresome I'm just sick of having dandruff-ridden hair
Reply 5

Great name btw
I normally put conditioner on anyway as my hair gets frizzy if I don't, but you could you please elaborate as to how one goes about moisturising their scalp? Is there a in ingredient or formula in a product that mositurises? Sorry if I'm being tiresome I'm just sick of having dandruff-ridden hair

Get a bottle of oil with a nozzle like the attachment (if you can see it) and apply it to the scalp in different places, then rub it in. The moisturising ingredients in products generally include a variety of oils that are good for your hair, so picking one that works for you and using it regularly should help get rid of the dandruff.
Original post by max276
Great name btw

Try Nizoral shampoo. Only thing that works for me when my scalp flairs up.
there is a difference between a flaky scalp and dandruff. the advice of just simply moisturising your scalp will do the trick for a flaky scalp, all i do is run some general moisturiser in there and dry my hair with a towel so it doesn't look greasy. Worked for me, I don't even need to do it daily. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope it's a flaky scalp.
Original post by angrypoliceman
there is a difference between a flaky scalp and dandruff. the advice of just simply moisturising your scalp will do the trick for a flaky scalp, all i do is run some general moisturiser in there and dry my hair with a towel so it doesn't look greasy. Worked for me, I don't even need to do it daily. I'll cross my fingers for you and hope it's a flaky scalp.

What's your general mosituriser?
What's your general mosituriser?

its molton brown lotion right now but ive used all sorts, such as palmers.
Original post by black tea

Agree.

What do you mean by "end up getting dandruff a few days later"? Try washing your hair every day or every other day. Ensure anti dandruff shampoo well worked into scalp and roots and allow a contact time (apply 1st, was body, then rinse)
I am East Asian and had dandruff issues ever since my teen years. I have been using Head and Shoulders, but it only suppressed the symptoms of my dry scalp. I have recently been using a Tea Tree Shampoo (from Holland and Barrett), and it has been working extremely well! Look into a Tea Tree Shampoo, I recommend!
I had the same problem until I tried experimenting to discover the root cause. Found coconut oil to be one of the main triggers. Dandruff comes from excessive oil buildup so religiously lathering oil on my already oily scalp was definitely a bad move. Once I stopped & moved to hair masks & exfoliation, I noticed the changes. I recommend this method if ur dandruff still persists. See how it works for u. Nizoral/T gel are other methods but found it damaging to my hair texture & quality.
Original post by Apachecow
Agree.

What do you mean by "end up getting dandruff a few days later"? Try washing your hair every day or every other day. Ensure anti dandruff shampoo well worked into scalp and roots and allow a contact time (apply 1st, was body, then rinse)

I didn't want to shampoo*condition more than 2 times a week as I was worried it would dry out my scalp, and yh I usually do that routine in the shower. and in answer to your first question, my hair ends up flaking so maybe its a flaky scalp like someone else suggested
Original post by black tea

same bro its the only thing that gets the grease out my scalp. nothing else works. but it's not the most hair healthy shampoo sadly :/

Quick Reply

Latest