Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I've had the above laptop for a pitful amount of time and it has run into a problem after literally 3 months! (Fujitsu Siemens Amilo 2735)

The laptop was working fine yesterday, and after I shut it down last night, this morning it turns on with the following:

'Windows Error Recovery'

Windows has failed to start. A recent hardware or software change may have cuased this.'

It then gives me options to 'recover' the system which I have done several times, it says it is loading files and then it just goes to a blank dark screen with an oversized cursor arrow.
    I left it 'recovering' for over 5 hours now and it is not doing ANYTHING.

Does anyone know what I can do? Recovering it does not work.

ReputationRep:
    You could try a reformat. Your laptop will either come with a DVD with Vista on, which you put into the DVD drive and reboot, and then boot from DVD -> Format HDD then reinstall Windows. However, you will lose all data, documents, music, programs, everything if you do this. However, it sounds like something has gone seriously wrong with your current installation if the recovery option isn't working (and I agree it is clearly failing).
    Reformatting and reinstalling Windows takes a good 3-4 hours, including updates and rebooting several times after downloading updates, as well as reinstalling your current programs. Once you have reformatted, make sure you immediately download a competent antivirus program, and update it, preferably before installing Windows Updates. I am a big fan of AVG Free. If you need any more help give us a shout on here.

ReputationRep:
    I don't have/can't find the DVD with Vista on. I don't think it came with one? I'm not sure.

ReputationRep:
    You may have a recovery partition on your laptop then. Do you remember your laptop (when it was working correctly) naming its DVD Drive E:? and hence C: was where you would save work and install programs, and D: was a small drive where you couldn't save anything else??

I would be surprised if you didn't have a DVD, Fujitsu usually ship them. Are you sure there are no discs at all that came with the laptop?? It is worth hunting around for them. You would usually get a minimum of a drivers disc, a Vista reinstallation disc and sometimes other discs for reinstalling "crapware" (the stuff that came with the laptop pre-loaded, like a cheap alternative to Windows Media Centre etc). Have a thorough look around for them.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.