The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

LSE Predicted grades

I am predicted A*A*AA (in Maths, further maths, economics and chemistry respectively) along with an A* in EPQ. Do you think these grades along with a solid personal statement would give me a chance in getting accepted in LSE or UCL? Or do you think it is pointless applying?
For what course?
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Reply 2
BSc economics or PPE havnt fully decided yet
Original post by Hsuwi
I am predicted A*A*AA (in Maths, further maths, economics and chemistry respectively) along with an A* in EPQ. Do you think these grades along with a solid personal statement would give me a chance in getting accepted in LSE or UCL? Or do you think it is pointless applying?

I wonder what is the topic of your EPQ? If it is strongly related to Economics or Politics then it could be advantageous in your application.

I was a member of LSE Library, as anybody with ID documents can register for a library card at LSE library. I saw the work of a French student from Paris studying BSc Economics and he was virtually studying all the Pure Maths from Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 in Year 1. So you would be a very strong applicant with A*s in Maths and Further Maths and A's in Economics and Chemistry are fine too. I might recommend applying for Maths and Economics or Maths with Economics as its less competitive. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by thegeek888
I wonder what is the topic of your EPQ? If it is strongly related to Economics or Politics then it could be advantageous in your application.

I was a member of LSE Library, as anybody with ID documents can register for a library card at LSE library. I saw the work of a French student from Paris studying BSc Economics and he was virtually studying all the Pure Maths from Core Pure 1 and Core Pure 2 in Year 1. So you would be a very strong applicant with A*s in Maths and Further Maths and A's in Economics and Chemistry are fine too. I might recommend applying for Maths and Economics or Maths with Economics as its less competitive. :smile:

Yeah my EPQ is to do with behavioral economics.
The problem is I'm seeing people with 4A*s getting rejected and because I've got an A in economics will that stunt my application significantly?
Original post by Hsuwi
Yeah my EPQ is to do with behavioral economics.
The problem is I'm seeing people with 4A*s getting rejected and because I've got an A in economics will that stunt my application significantly?

Here are the 2021 Admissions Statistics for BSc Economics at LSE: https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/l101_economics_application_stati_3

1) Number of Applicants = 4128

2) Number of Offers Made = 335

3) Mean number of A* predicted grades for those sitting the A-Level, of
whom received an offer = 2.7

4) Mean number of A* achieved grades for those who sat the A-Level, of
whom received an offer = 0.75

5) Mean number of A* achieved grades at GCSE, of whom received an offer =

6) Number of offer holders who bear Further Mathematics as a fourth
A-Level = 4

7) Number of applicants who deferred entry until the year 2022 = 13

So it is competitive, but you could always invest in a UpLearn subscription: Because 97% of students who used UpLearn got an A* or A grade in Economics. https://uplearn.co.uk/economics/

Your EPQ is related to Economics but you got to mention some books you've read too. Also Maths and Further Maths at A* are most important, as LSE love them subjects due to all the content featuring in Year 1 of the degree and A in Economics is great too. But you're right, a lot of students apply with A* in Economics, but a lot of applicant got in with just A*AA and having 4A* is by no means a guarantee of acceptance.

But if you don't apply, then you will never know. I am applying for Law at LSE and also Cambridge University, UCL, KCL and SOAS.

I would have to also argue, that the UCAS Personal Statement matters a lot, as everybody will have the same GCSEs and predicted A-Levels.

You will definitely be able to do a Masters degree at LSE, if you don't make it to Undergraduate level. :wink:

Also, I would suggest emailing LSE Economics admissions to ask about the A grade in Economics. :smile:
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply