The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

will KCL give me an offer for computer science with A*AA instead of A*A*A

i have just got my predicted grades and was wondering if there is any point applying to KCL computer science. the requirements are A*A*A and i got A*AA.
Reply 1
Original post by saznso
i have just got my predicted grades and was wondering if there is any point applying to KCL computer science. the requirements are A*A*A and i got A*AA.

hey i was in the same position, i gave them a call and they said i would still be considered but obviously due to high competition they cant ensure that i would. they didn't give me an offer in the end and i recieved offers from all other places (which i did have the grades for) so if you do apply make sure you have other options as back up as it is risky.
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Predicted grades are only accurate about 16% of the time, although they tend to overestimate rather than underestimate a student's performance. See https://www.ucu.org.uk/media/8409/Predicted-grades-accuracy-and-impact-Dec-16/pdf/Predicted_grades_report_Dec2016.pdf for the source of this number.

It would be unfair if both you an another student ultimately achieved A*A*A, but you didn't even receive an offer because your predicted grade was lower. However, that's the way the system works at present.

As far as I can tell, KCL assume your predicted grades are accurate, or certainly not under estimates. See https://www.kcl.ac.uk/study/assets/pdf/admissions/curriculum-reform-in-england.pdf for a (dated) summary of their approach, in which they say they say that "over-prediction is almost inevitable", suggesting that someone with predicted grades beneath the entry requirements might struggle to get an offer.
Reply 3
Original post by Sstarr
hey i was in the same position, i gave them a call and they said i would still be considered but obviously due to high competition they cant ensure that i would. they didn't give me an offer in the end and i recieved offers from all other places (which i did have the grades for) so if you do apply make sure you have other options as back up as it is risky.

thanks for replying. if you dont mind me asking what other unis did you apply to and get offers for. i was thinking of applying to birmingham, qmul, loughborough and notts. and did you also do computer science?
Reply 4
Original post by saznso
thanks for replying. if you dont mind me asking what other unis did you apply to and get offers for. i was thinking of applying to birmingham, qmul, loughborough and notts. and did you also do computer science?

I appiled for qmul, birmingham, notts and southampton so pretty similar options! and yes for CS as well.
Reply 5
Original post by Sstarr
I appiled for qmul, birmingham, notts and southampton so pretty similar options! and yes for CS as well.

awesome. which one did you end up going with?
Reply 6
Original post by saznso
awesome. which one did you end up going with?

I've firmed qmul mainly because I want to stay in London but all are good unis tbh

Quick Reply

Latest