Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Anyone else finding that lectures just arent for them? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I've been attending all my lectures so far (except 1) and I realised before that everything that I know has been learnt outside of lectures, either through extra reading or studying the lecture notes in my own time. I'm starting to wonder whether going to lectures is worth it at all and the time would be better spent just going through the topic myself.

I dont think the whole concept of lectures is for me. I need time to think for myself so during lectures I'm still trying to get my head round the last slide while the lecturer is 3 slides ahead. Anyone else finding this?

ReputationRep:
    I learn from lectures, I just find them unbelievably boring lol... mine are all online lectures as well which makes it worse because then I end up getting behind! lol... during reading week I had to catch up on 16 lectures, alongside doing my reading and seminar prep... thankfully I learnt from that mistake and no matter how much I dislike them I just need to get on with it lol.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, lectures are absolutely useless. I can't see why someone needs a PhD to be able to read a load of slides which are then posted on the intranet afterwards. Waste of time imho, but I attend them cause we occasionally have tests in them.

ReputationRep:
    You should be able to anticipate what the next lecture will be on, and then briefly read over it so you're not behind in the actual lecture, as you say you are. If you don't go in, there's a possibility you will go off track with your own reading. The examinable syllabus can only be so much of the whole subject content in a year, so the point of lectures is to guide you to what's relevant, essential, and possibly highly examinable.

ReputationRep:
    I dont learn that way either - I have to make notes from a book or write up, not scribbling frantically. My mind wanders too.

ReputationRep:
    Even though most are boring, this is the best way I learn. And if extra insights are mentioned that aren't on the slide, you don't miss it. Just depends if you have lecturers who deviate from their slides or just simply read them out.

For some of my units they don't post the lecture slides online at all, so you have to go if you want the info, or at least have a friend who goes

ReputationRep:
    most of the stuf u learn at uni is from your own doin ........ lectures are pointless
    lectures are up on the net anyway and when you actually go to a lecture they just read it out for you

the only way i see lectures useful is if you dont understand and you want to ask a question or something

I really don't like them, and it doesn't do my motivation any good when i go and don't listen and come out thinking "well i just wasted 50 minutes."

ReputationRep:
    I rarely attend lectures. They're largely pretty pointless.

ReputationRep:
    Lectures are pretty pointless. It's usually just a gimp with his **** suit on, advertising his book through a series of generic slide-shows. At least from my experience of them. You can usually download all the rubbish on the internet after, sweep through it, then get some real knowledge from your seminars. I think it's very easy indeed to succeed at University without attending many lectures. Some people, however, will learn more easily from the impersonal lectures rather than the more personal seminars. It depends on your personality and your style of learning. It is well-documented that different people learn in different ways.

ReputationRep:
    They're incredibly pointless. University is nothing but a very expensive library card.

ReputationRep:
    I go to lectures, scribble down frantically what they say, but take very little in. Most of my understanding comes from writing up the lecture notes in a more comprehensible way after the lectures. People say that they learn best from decanting information from a text book, but essentially I'm doing the same with the lecture as my text book

ReputationRep:
    Most of what I understand and absorb is from lectures. It helps a lot because it means I can get away with a lot less revision (I'm not trying to sound like a slacker here). There is the odd lecture or two which does nearly put me to sleep, but that's my fault really :o:

My course is taught with no assumed knowledge and all aspects of geology intertwine with one another, so one textbook isn't going to cover all of a module's syllabus anyway- just listening up in lectures is probably a much better thing to do sometimes!

ReputationRep:
    I learn best when I am taking a million notes from a lecture, not when I look at the print outs they give us on the internet to annotate. I can't sit there and just listen to a lecture, it won't do anything for me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dr Zeuss™)
    I really don't like them, and it doesn't do my motivation any good when i go and don't listen and come out thinking "well i just wasted 50 minutes."
    :ditto: I try really hard to listen but then my mind starts wondering to what I'm going to have for dinner or something. I feel guilty about not going because my friends keep saying it's a waste of my education but then when i do go i get pissed off because I feel like it's a waste of my life.

I also feel really paraniod because some of my friends make pages of notes...which i never understand because the lecturers are literally word for word reading of the lecture notes so there's nothing to write.

ReputationRep:
    The biggest problem I have is that I don't learn anything in lectures.

Attendance in lectures at my university is merely a popularity contest, as opposed to being an opportunity to actually learn something. If you come to a lecture and sit on your own just to prepare to write down notes ad nauseum, you get dirty looks forevermore. In order to get respect at my university, you need to sit among half a dozen friends (remember they have all picked the same module on purpose) and chat about last night's great night out while throwing pieces of paper at someone's head in the row in front.

There is virtually nothing I have learnt in a lecture that I couldn't have researched on Wikipedia. I prefer to not attend lectures and seminars and just get on with my work. I have my goals and ambitions and these can be easily achieved without any contact time at all. Alas, sometimes it is necessary to turn up just to sign the register.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    The biggest problem I have is that I don't learn anything in lectures.

Attendance in lectures at my university is merely a popularity contest, as opposed to being an opportunity to actually learn something. If you come to a lecture and sit on your own just to prepare to write down notes ad nauseum, you get dirty looks forevermore. In order to get respect at my university, you need to sit among half a dozen friends (remember they have all picked the same module on purpose) and chat about last night's great night out while throwing pieces of paper at someone's head in the row in front.

There is virtually nothing I have learnt in a lecture that I couldn't have researched on Wikipedia. I prefer to not attend lectures and seminars and just get on with my work. I have my goals and ambitions and these can be easily achieved without any contact time at all. Alas, sometimes it is necessary to turn up just to sign the register.
    I take it you go to 'Brunel' ? In which case it doesn't surprise me at all.

ReputationRep:
    Well I find learning from books will be easier I also think that lecture is useless.

ReputationRep:
    i dont c the point in lectures either. i do all my work in my own time and attend minimal lecs and seminars. im finding that i could learn my course at home with a book in about 2 years no hassel, but then i realise that i need a degree and so i am forced to attend such and such amount of seminars and lecs just to pass the course-waste of my ******* time!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with the posters who said it was pretty pointless - I rarely go to my lectures because it saves so much time reading the stuff on your own, instead of trying to concentrate amongst 899 other people who seem to prefer talking to their friends instead of listening.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.