Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Got a letter from barlcyas on sat, someone tried to withdraw £1300 between 00:57 and 02:39 on 7/11/08. according to the man on the phone someone also tried to make a purchase at boots in london with my card despite me being in school in liverpool at the time and my card was in my pocket, the idiot believed it was genuine because I swiped my card?
    I have only used findmypast, itunes and topman with my card online, how could this have happened?

ReputationRep:
    Someone has scanned your card with a reader. Maybe you used a bank machine that had one attached, or you paid with card at a dodgy shop. Basically what they do is scan your card, take all the data from it and make an identical duplicate. I assume you've cancelled your card and ordered a new one?

ReputationRep:
    Yes, i've ordered a new card and an updated statement, if there are any more transactions which i don't recognize, they'll get the fraud investigation team involved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Terry J)
    Got a letter from barlcyas on sat, someone tried to withdraw £1300 between 00:57 and 02:39 on 7/11/08. according to the man on the phone someone also tried to make a purchase at boots in london with my card despite me being in school in liverpool at the time and my card was in my pocket, the idiot believed it was genuine because I swiped my card?
    I have only used findmypast, itunes and topman with my card online, how could this have happened?
    The likelyhood is that the purchases were ONLINE because it is unlikely that they would have been able to duplicate 100% the chip within the card. Have a good look at your bank statements and query anything you do not recognise. Better to query it and it be found to be genuine. Without doubt the card will be marked stolen by the bank.

ReputationRep:
    Well, he was told the card was swiped, so it's likely it was duplicated and then used somewhere without chip-and-PIN.

Terry - in my experience, banks (and I've had specific experience of Barclaycard, albeit for a credit card) are very good at detecting and dealing with fraud. I've had three instances of fraudulent use of one of my cards, and thanks to their excellent monitoring I've never lost anything from it. If you're over 18, I recommend you get a credit card for online purchases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThePants999)
    Well, he was told the card was swiped, so it's likely it was duplicated and then used somewhere without chip-and-PIN.

Terry - in my experience, banks (and I've had specific experience of Barclaycard, albeit for a credit card) are very good at detecting and dealing with fraud. I've had three instances of fraudulent use of one of my cards, and thanks to their excellent monitoring I've never lost anything from it. If you're over 18, I recommend you get a credit card for online purchases.
    Wow man, that's unlucky!

I know what you mean about the banks spotting it though. They rang up my mum asking her about some direct debits that were made as they seemed dodgy. Three or four had been made in a period of about a month, to phone companies, and she confirmed that she hadn't made those payments and got her money back.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.