Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi there, I'm going to be following CIE's international A-Levels, I'm taking these subjects at AS:
    English Language and Literature
    Math
    Physics
    Chemistry
    History
    I'm hoping to carry on to A-Level with all of them excluding Eng. I'm predicted 7 A* for the IGCSE and I'm top of my grade. My first question is whether you believe I'll be able to handle these subjetcs and get grades along these lines : ABBC (need these at the very least for A-Level). My second question is whether the subjects I've chosen are well balanced, as in can I still study most of the Humanities degrees at uni, but also the sciences if that's what I decide to do. Thanks alot for your help!

ReputationRep:
    history walk in the park
    maths if your good at it youll find AS ok
    chemistry kind of hard need to revise early
    physics really interesting largely depends on your teacher
    yes you can study a humanities degree there very well balanced not a bad choice dont get me wrong it will be hard rather than doing something like
    sociology psychology music which would be DEAD EASY :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juggy123)
    history walk in the park
    maths if your good at it youll find AS ok
    chemistry kind of hard need to revise early
    physics really interesting largely depends on your teacher
    yes you can study a humanities degree there very well balanced not a bad choice dont get me wrong it will be hard rather than doing something like
    sociology psychology music which would be DEAD EASY :P
    Oka thanks Was stressing there... there is little point in my taking hard subjects if they won't get me good grades, which is important for our uni's here:o: They haven't blacklisted anything yet

ReputationRep:
    They're very good A-levels. Why are you aiming for ABBC? If you're not confident choose less and get AAAa.

Drop english imo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J-E-N-O-V-A)
    They're very good A-levels. Why are you aiming for ABBC? If you're not confident choose less and get AAAa.

Drop english imo.
    I would love to but we have to take english and math here. Lol odd compulsory subjects I know.:shifty:

ReputationRep:
    better yet try a btec ive known the stupidest people ever to get 3 distinctions its up to you try to make life as easiest as possible for yourself especially when you know what you want to do in the future (Y)

ReputationRep:
    better yet try a btec ive known the stupidest people ever to get 3 distinctions its up to you try to make life as easiest as possible for yourself especially when you know what you want to do in the future (Y)
    What is a btec, sorry if this is a dumb question but :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Awful advice, you should push yourself now to make the future easier. OP If you think you can handle 5 A-levels then do them. And yes, you have a very good balance of subjects.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies

ReputationRep:
    with those predicted grades, I reckon you will do just fine, if not- better. Just remember to work hard and keep positive!

ReputationRep:
    good balance cos youve kept your options open..

where are you studying if i may ask? what country?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by neomilan)
    where are you studying if i may ask? what country?
    South africa... We have to have English, math and a second language for admission to uni. Luckily I was brought up bilingual so I just wrote my AS in the second language and so I don't need to owrry much about that. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Our school never used to predict A*'s to anybody because they believe that it encourages them more to get that A*. It really does encourage you to go for the A*, if I was predicted an A*, I would be a bit lax and not put in as much effort.

ReputationRep:
    yeah m8 fine picks, history maths and physics you will get A's in chemistry just keep on revising and you will get an A in that 2.

ReputationRep:
    I reckon you've got a nice set of a-levels there. But the most crucial thing you've got to consider is how much time you're gonna bother putting in. I'm far from the cleverest of people, but through a ton of hard work i managed to pull 4 A AS' grades out of the bag.
    If you know you're gonna bother putting the time in then by all means go for five, but if you know ur the sort who's gonna doss a bit then perhaps ur best of ditching one from the start.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.