Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do some students who don't work at all get A's at alevel Watch

ReputationRep:
    They are cheaters.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Inter-Company)
    well judging how all that 'work' has only managed to land you in Warwick doing A&F (not your first choice as I've looked around the forums), spending only the day before an exam revising is probably not the best bet :rolleyes:
    Haha lol yup that's true, but I've tried revising a few weeks before and I couldn't do it. I don't know if doing A&F at Warwick is that bad considering they are now No.1 for it according to the Times, but I'm happy with how things turned out because the grades I got were the best I could have realistically hoped for and LSE require the exact same grades!

But I would not advise leaving it to the last day to revise!! If you can revise days or weeks before make sure you do it because you don't want to live your life thinking what if you had just worked that bit harder to get better grades!

ReputationRep:
    Bear in mind, there are very, very few students can do absolutely nothing throughout the academic year and still come out with straight As. And chances are, the ones who claim they do, are telling fibs. Some of them, anyway.
    There are two students in my Politics class who are complete straight A students and both of them claim to be "lazy" when it comes to revision. They both claim to do "as little as possible", but I don't buy it.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    GCSE's- never revised at all, got some good grades in the subjects i gave a toss about, A-levels, was a *****, so i worked my ass off, and got 3 consecutive U's in chemistry. shows how much revision pays off really.

ReputationRep:
    I think some people go OTT during the exam period when they shouldn't really need to. My politics teacher was going on about how she quit her part time job and refused to see her boyfriend for two months when she did her A levels, and we should do the same.

But really, if you've worked hard throughout the year revision should really only be revision. If you understand everything as you go along and listen in class, write essays to enforce this, read over your notes to remember key facts etc... then when it comes to exam time all you need to do is straight-forward revision.

ReputationRep:
    You can't put in no work whatsoever and get straight As. They probably put in the work in the classroom, or while in school/college.

ReputationRep:
    Lol i hate naturally clever people , Well not hate but envy !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phantom Phoenix)
    Why don't you buy it? The most revision I did last term was about 8 hours through the night before each exam. I'd regard that as lazy and wish I could be more structured, since those nights are always very stressful, but I still got A grades in all three exams. I don't see the point in disbelieving someone who says they didn't work because I don't see why anyone would bother to lie about it.
    I'd think several people would lie in order to come across as more academically gifted than they actually are. I think its common knowledge that on this forum, there are plenty of people who raise their grades higher than they actually are. Most of the A-grade students I have known have been extremely hard workers, revising weeks and weeks before exams. I'm not denying that students of your calibre don't exist, I'm saying there aren't as many as we're led to believe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ch0c0h01ic)
    1. They are naturally better at retaining information
    2. They work harder than they say they do (ie; it sounds much better to tell everyone that you did no revision and came out with A*s than to talk about how you worked your arse off and only got Cs)
    3. They work harder/pay more attention in school time than you meaning they have to do less work in their own time

One or more of the above (talking from personal experience)

I don't know about my retention, but I genuinely didn't work at all, throughout my a-levels, and my attendance was appalling. Yes, the week or so leading up to each exam was VERY stressful, and I didn't think I could do it, but I came out with AAA. Areas in which my knowledge was lacking, I covered up with big words and what one of my teachers called 'political' essays (in that I could talk about nothing at all, but make out that I knew exactly what I was going on about).

ReputationRep:
    Also, I will add, that I actually *can't* work unless the exam is imminent. Same with my uni assignments, they (so far) have all been done 1-2 days before the due date, in spite of being given 2 weeks to complete them. it's just how I work

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by daruishraz)
    Because, they do work. But they don't show it.
    This.

ReputationRep:
    every year boards are reducing amount of material in every module

for example compare old p1 and new c1 its twice smaller!

soon there would be nothing left to learn apart from module names :/

ReputationRep:
    because some people are more intelligent than others

ReputationRep:
    Yeah im kinda like that. Dont get me wrong, I havent done my A-Levels yet, but my GCSE's were great for me and I just took notes the day before. Ive never been the type of person to force myself to revise. It's just how I am, I remember what I need to remember.
    Then I have friends who spend AGES revising and got D's and C's in GCSE's. Yeah it's not right, but it's the way we are, different people having different learning capacities.

ReputationRep:
    The key is understanding something the first time around, then you only need to revise for a few days before the exam to make sure you've remembered it all correctly. If there are any gaps in your knowledge, you fill them during the time you revise. This doesn't work for everyone, but it worked well enough for my GCSEs. It also helps if you have subjects you enjoy and are good at, for me that's maths. Maths requires very little time and that's halved if you're any good at it!

ReputationRep:
    After each lesson, do you read over your notes at home? That in itself counts as revision. So come exam time, you don't have to put in so much effort to revise.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tinkerbee)
    Because they did Business Studies :yep:
    haha, it's true. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    Different people have different learning styles. Some are able to absorb information given in lectures or classes, or read from books, and adequately bring it up in their memory again all in one day the night before an exam!

ReputationRep:
    My way was never to piss about in class.
    Learn to understand the facts the first time round, then cram the facts in before an exam. So I knew all the facts in the exams, but a few days later I'd have no idea about most of it.
    Oh, and doing past papers as my main revision was really helpful, lots of questions crop up again, and it gives you a feel for the exams.

ReputationRep:
    because it is the best way to revise. i don't care what anyone else says. if you spend all year working your ass off and revising every night all year like the ''teachers'' tell you too than you end up clogging up your brain and making yourself bored of the subject matter. so it is counterproductive. if you cram to late the same cloggin occurs, but i find a week is the optimum amount of time. I just lock myself away for a week roughly before each exam with lots of food, fire on, tea and my laptop and just spend the day chilling and revise a little every 15 minutes with 15 minute breaks. it is enjoyable that way and with 6 100% modules at As, 12 A*s, 3 offers for economics and an oxford application i'll challenge any old idiot who thinks that doing 3 hours a night over and over again for a year and then wondering why they are incapable of retrieving any info in the exam to a debate. the traditional model of revision is flawed imo.

and OP. if you don't think it's fair. then. tough.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.