The Student Room Group
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

MSc. Physics at Oxford or Cambridge

I have just finished my BSc. Hons. Computer Science - AI with First Class Honours from University of Greenwich and currently I am starting work in Data Science. I will be working for a year or two and then will be aiming to attain a master’s degree in Physics at Oxford or Cambridge. All my grade’s requirements are more than sufficient to obtain an admission as per the information on the institution’s website. For Data Science, Machine Learning and AI, a subject as vast as physics is beneficial. Not only do I have interest in the topic and all my teachers at university have encouraged me in pursuing it, but a combination of Mathematics or Physics with Computer Science is desirable for high end opportunities. As my bachelor’s degree is in Computer Science, I am undertaking courses such as Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Statistical Thermodynamic Specialization, Quantum Mechanics, Optical Engineering, Astrophysics and more from educational sites such as Coursera and edX. I was wondering weather it would be possible to gain admission in MSc. physics even though I am BSc. Comp Sci but with all the courses.
Original post by AtharvaMangrole
I have just finished my BSc. Hons. Computer Science - AI with First Class Honours from University of Greenwich and currently I am starting work in Data Science. I will be working for a year or two and then will be aiming to attain a master’s degree in Physics at Oxford or Cambridge. All my grade’s requirements are more than sufficient to obtain an admission as per the information on the institution’s website. For Data Science, Machine Learning and AI, a subject as vast as physics is beneficial. Not only do I have interest in the topic and all my teachers at university have encouraged me in pursuing it, but a combination of Mathematics or Physics with Computer Science is desirable for high end opportunities. As my bachelor’s degree is in Computer Science, I am undertaking courses such as Mechanics, Electricity and Magnetism, Statistical Thermodynamic Specialization, Quantum Mechanics, Optical Engineering, Astrophysics and more from educational sites such as Coursera and edX. I was wondering weather it would be possible to gain admission in MSc. physics even though I am BSc. Comp Sci but with all the courses.

Yes it is possible as long as in your undergraduate degree you have covered a lot of mathematics and physics to a degree level.
The MSc in Oxford or Cambridge is hard and usually with high mathematical content.
A very famous one is the Part3 of Mathematical Tripos for both mathematics and physics students at Cambridge.
https://www.maths.cam.ac.uk/postgrad/part-iii/prospective.html

You need to find an MSc that it is suitable for you and you need to search quite a lot before making any decision.
University of Oxford, Pawel-Sytniewski
University of Oxford
Oxford

Quick Reply

Latest