The Student Room Group

A-Levels

Hi Everyone,

I am currently doing my GCSEs and need some advice for A-Levels. I have an interest at going into law and studying it at University, I need to study 3 subjects I have decided on History, English Language but not sure on the third. I wanted to do law as well (I have read that law isn't necessarily needed) but I wanted to do it anyway but my sixth-form doesn't do law as an A-Level.

I currently take History, P.E, Business and French and am now thinking I might have to do one of these or even do english lit. I am really stuck on what to do if you have any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks.
I don't know any law-specific advice but for your third choice I'd suggest doing the subject you enjoy most and have consistent good grades in. If there is specific entry reqs for Law subjects check a couple uni websites but I think History and English Language definitely sound like a good combo : )
History is a 'heavy weight' subject for Law and PPE at Oxford and Law and HSPS at Cambridge and most degrees at LSE, UCL, KCL, QMUL, SOAS too. :wink:

French is very well respected, so keep it, but you might need to ask admissions tutors if they would like Business Studies? But it is perfectly acceptable as you'll also be studying History, French and perhaps Economics or Politics or even Maths A-Level? :smile:
Original post by Charnwood07
Hi Everyone,

I am currently doing my GCSEs and need some advice for A-Levels. I have an interest at going into law and studying it at University, I need to study 3 subjects I have decided on History, English Language but not sure on the third. I wanted to do law as well (I have read that law isn't necessarily needed) but I wanted to do it anyway but my sixth-form doesn't do law as an A-Level.

I currently take History, P.E, Business and French and am now thinking I might have to do one of these or even do english lit. I am really stuck on what to do if you have any advice it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

I'm no expert on law but I'm pretty sure you can do any 3 A levels (and history and eng lang already sounds like a good combo), in which case your third should probably be whatever you can get the best grade in. Thought I'd give my 2 cents as I do A level PE as my third (applying for medicine) and personally it's the easiest subject for me to score highly in even though I got a C in the practical element! If you enjoy PE at GCSE and do well in it you might find it a slightly easier subject to get a good grade in compared to history etc, although the content is a bit weird, e.g. I do OCR and we have one paper on anat+phys, principles of training biomechanics etc, one on sports psychology and one on socio-cultural factors affecting sport and like the history of sport, and then the practical component isn't weighted as much as at GCSE and you only need 1 sport. It really suits me and I like the range of subjects within it, but if you only like one aspect, e.g. anat+phys, you might find the rest a bit dry. I hear business is also a relatively 'easy' A level for a lot of people, but requires a lot of wrote learning apparently, although I'm sure you don't mind that with history. Of course, it's not worth picking an A level purely based on how easy it is, and no A level is objectively easy, but if you enjoy PE and do well at GCSE you've probably got a good chance to get the A/A* you need in PE. Any questions about A level PE I'm happy to answer, but unfortunately I can't comment on its relevance to a law application or how admissions tutors view it! It's worth emailing admissions tutors at unis you're looking to apply to if you're unsure what A levels they accept/prefer as well prior to making a final choice

Quick Reply

Latest