how to get a job as an HCA? (or other healthcare worker)

Watch this thread
othello03
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
may or may not be forced into a gap year depending on my chemistry result, but I'm not expecting it to go well lol, still hoping, but trying to make a plan B so I know what I'm doing on results day.

I've got a pub job now, which I was planning on quitting in order to go to uni, I think (if I don't meet my offer) I would like to get a healthcare related job. Everyone always seems to recommend it, especially HCA job, but I'm really struggling to see how? I've been looking on NHS jobs for half an hour and I swear everything seems to require prior experience.

Straight from NHS jobs:

Bank HCA: minimum 3 months experience as an HCA or 12 months into a nursing degree

Porter : Hospital patient portering experience

Housekeeper: Essential: Experience of a cleaning/domestic role. Desirable: previous hospital domestic experience

Medical Record Clerk: Clerical experience including filing, telephone work, good IT skills

Secretarial Assistant: RSA II typing or equivalent qualification or equivalent experience

There are some community carer jobs on indeed, but they all seem to require you to drive, which I do not (yet at least).

These are all band 2, NLW (or slightly above), am I missing something? How do y'all get NHS jobs? Shall I just keep my current job and volunteer on the side? Not that I'm opposed to volunteering but I also need to earn and save as much money as possible.
Last edited by othello03; 1 month ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by othello03)
may or may not be forced into a gap year depending on my chemistry result, but I'm not expecting it to go well lol, still hoping, but trying to make a plan B so I know what I'm doing on results day.

I've got a pub job now, which I was planning on quitting in order to go to uni, I think (if I don't meet my offer) I would like to get a healthcare related job. Everyone always seems to recommend it, especially HCA job, but I'm really struggling to see how? I've been looking on NHS jobs for half an hour and I swear everything seems to require prior experience.

Straight from NHS jobs:

Bank HCA: minimum 3 months experience as an HCA or 12 months into a nursing degree

Housekeeper: Essential: Experience of a cleaning/domestic role. Desirable: previous hospital domestic experience

Medical Record Clerk: Clerical experience including filing, telephone work, good IT skills

Secretarial Assistant: RSA II typing or equivalent qualification or equivalent experience

There are some community carer jobs on indeed, but they all seem to require you to drive, which I do not (yet at least).

These are all band 2, NLW (or slightly above), am I missing something? How do y'all get NHS jobs? Shall I just keep my current job and volunteer on the side? Not that I'm opposed to volunteering but I also need to earn and save as much money as possible.
Hi there.

I'm sure KA_P would be able to provide some great advice.
Try not to worry about you're chemistry grade as you could have done better than you think!

Best wishes.
Memebrowsing
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hi! I worked as a HCA and I had no experience going into the job. I had to apply to a HCA apprenticeship so maybe keep an eye out for those! The one I completed was 15 months long and you are on an apprentice wage - this apprentice wage can be different in each NHS trust. However after you complete the apprenticeship you should go straight onto a band 2 pay! I'd definitely recommend trying to look for one of those apprenticeships as being a HCA is brill experience, it really opens your eyes to things going on in the world
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Straight from NHS jobs:

Hi, I'm in a similar situation, no clinical experience, I applied for deferred entry and I'm applying for HCA jobs atm, had one interview and I've got another on Saturday. NHS professionals does a paid HCSW development scheme for 6 months if you have no experience, which allows you to earn a care certificate and therefore join the bank. Unfortunately I live in Bucks and there are none close to me, the closest is Hertfordshire but there's not enough demand for them to run it usually but see if there's a programme running near you. My local general runs regular HCA interview + assessment days, no experience required, and they then can match you up to vacancies so see if your local trust does something similar. Although some posts say they require NVQs etc they might be willing to take you anyway, especially since you're a med applicant so you've already demonstrated commitment etc. Another option is looking at local care homes rather than hospitals, they might be more willing to let you onboard with no experience. You could also volunteer at a care home/hospice or similar for 3 or 6 months to get the experience before applying for a paid HCA post. I'll try to update you if I get a HCA job but I'm sure it's possible, good luck with it!
Last edited by bea_murray0; 1 month ago
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago

Straight from NHS jobs:

Hi there!

You seem to have gotten some great advice above, I only want to add on a few things.

Lots of the job vacancies online will need experience, but I really recommend calling up your local care home and explaining your situation. It's always worth a shot to call or email them, since they could still take you on (most of it is definitely on the job training and you get e-learning/practical training through the time you're working).

You should be able to send your CV through to them online, but what they're mainly looking for is a hard worker, a team worker and someone who puts patients/residents at the heart of what they do. I recommend a bank contract for flexibility which is dependent upon your availability

If you have any other questions, feel free to ask me :hugs:

Best of luck!!

(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi there.

I'm sure KA_P would be able to provide some great advice.
Try not to worry about you're chemistry grade as you could have done better than you think!

Best wishes.
Thank you for tagging me! :jumphug:
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Hi, I'm in a similar situation, no clinical experience, I applied for deferred entry and I'm applying for HCA jobs atm, had one interview and I've got another on Saturday. NHS professionals does a paid HCSW development scheme for 6 months if you have no experience, which allows you to earn a care certificate and therefore join the bank. Unfortunately I live in Bucks and there are none close to me, the closest is Hertfordshire but there's not enough demand for them to run it usually but see if there's a programme running near you. My local general runs regular HCA interview + assessment days, no experience required, and they then can match you up to vacancies so see if your local trust does something similar. Although some posts say they require NVQs etc they might be willing to take you anyway, especially since you're a med applicant so you've already demonstrated commitment etc. Another option is looking at local care homes rather than hospitals, they might be more willing to let you onboard with no experience. You could also volunteer at a care home/hospice or similar for 3 or 6 months to get the experience before applying for a paid HCA post. I'll try to update you if I get a HCA job but I'm sure it's possible, good luck with it!
othello03 thought I would update on this, I've been successful in my application through my local trust's assessment and interview day, it was really easy and I didn't have to do the assessment since I have English and maths GCSEs, my interview was only 10-15 minutes and after leaving the room for 5 mins for my interviewers to discuss, I was told then and there that I was successful and that they wanted to put me in A+E (there was a separate advertisement for that role that I looked at but didn't apply for since it required an NVQ level and I decided I was underqualified and underexperienced, which proves they are willing to accept you even if you don't quite meet the stated requirements). Now waiting for them to confirm whether they'll put me in A+E or somewhere else, sort my induction and then OH checks etc but looks like I'll be set by September! The job is full time, 12 hour shifts including days and nights, so might not be right for everyone, but I do recommend seeing if your local trust does any interview/open days because it means once they've decided you're good enough to work there, they can slot you into any vacancy that suits your skill level, and since they'll have multiple vacancies with different characteristics it makes the whole process easier. The HCSW development programme I mentioned previously still sounds like a great thing to do if there's one running near you since it's paid and then qualifies you to join the bank. Hope your results go better than you expect!
KA_P
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
othello03 thought I would update on this, I've been successful in my application through my local trust's assessment and interview day, it was really easy and I didn't have to do the assessment since I have English and maths GCSEs, my interview was only 10-15 minutes and after leaving the room for 5 mins for my interviewers to discuss, I was told then and there that I was successful and that they wanted to put me in A+E (there was a separate advertisement for that role that I looked at but didn't apply for since it required an NVQ level and I decided I was underqualified and underexperienced, which proves they are willing to accept you even if you don't quite meet the stated requirements). Now waiting for them to confirm whether they'll put me in A+E or somewhere else, sort my induction and then OH checks etc but looks like I'll be set by September! The job is full time, 12 hour shifts including days and nights, so might not be right for everyone, but I do recommend seeing if your local trust does any interview/open days because it means once they've decided you're good enough to work there, they can slot you into any vacancy that suits your skill level, and since they'll have multiple vacancies with different characteristics it makes the whole process easier. The HCSW development programme I mentioned previously still sounds like a great thing to do if there's one running near you since it's paid and then qualifies you to join the bank. Hope your results go better than you expect!
Congratulations!! :hugs:
othello03
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
awe congrats that's great to hear !

I'm definitely going to apply to some if I don't meet my offer. just thinking about timelines right now, I actually enjoy my current job and earn fairly well so I'm not looking to quit immediately, but I'd also like to get on with some healthcare work. I looked at the support worker scheme and they do it in my city thankfully! so I'll definitely look into doing that. Even if it's not exactly the same as what you did, how long will it be from application to actually starting the job for you? Just so I can have a good plan of when to start applying.

and thanks for the update, I really appreciate it!! x
kimlou_19
Badges: 3
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Does it have to be NHS ? I started in a care home, then nursing home then NHS to gain the basic understanding of social health care needs. I’ve been a HCA for 8 years and I am stating my nursing degree in September 😀 the NHS is amazing and offers many opportunities but you need to show willingness to progress.
bea_murray0
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
awe congrats that's great to hear !

I'm definitely going to apply to some if I don't meet my offer. just thinking about timelines right now, I actually enjoy my current job and earn fairly well so I'm not looking to quit immediately, but I'd also like to get on with some healthcare work. I looked at the support worker scheme and they do it in my city thankfully! so I'll definitely look into doing that. Even if it's not exactly the same as what you did, how long will it be from application to actually starting the job for you? Just so I can have a good plan of when to start applying.

and thanks for the update, I really appreciate it!! x
I've not got a start date set in stone but it will probably be sometime in September since I have a few holidays booked over summer, I applied in early June for the assessment day in late June and now just waiting on OH + risk assessment forms etc, inductions and all that. For the HCSW development programme I'm pretty sure there's a set start date and so a set amount of time between applications closing and starting the programme so might want to email and ask about that?
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (28)
19.58%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (33)
23.08%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (75)
52.45%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
4.9%

Watched Threads