The Student Room Logo

At what age should you stop asking for permission to go out

Just wondering at what age you guys stopped asking your parents for permission to go out and started telling them instead? and was it gradual or did you just stop one day and start doing whatever you wanted?
i’m 15 and i still ask my parents to go out, not because i have to but just out of respect.
It depends on your household dynamic, parenting styles and any health issues you have.

I didn't do either, got sneaky instead.
Close friends who knew the way my parents acted got their parents to ask for me to come study with them or for my parents to bring me over to keep them company while their parents & siblings were working overtime.
I've been sneaking out of the house without asking since I was about 7 lol
Original post by Anonymous
Just wondering at what age you guys stopped asking your parents for permission to go out and started telling them instead? and was it gradual or did you just stop one day and start doing whatever you wanted?

I'm nearly 16, and I still let my parents know in advance where I'm going to be because otherwise my mum gets anxious about where I am. Other friends I have just leave without telling their parents and then return home anywhere between 7pm to 11pm with no problems. It really depends on your family.
I've slowly started changing the way I phrase things when telling me parents about plans I'm making, like before I'd say "please can I go to X's house" but not I say things like "I'm going to X's house on this day, is that okay?". We also have a family google calendar which helps, because I can see if my parents have got anything planned for that day before making plans, and they can see what plans I've made with friends, too. That could work for you, maybe??

Quick Reply