The Student Room Group
Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website

Computer Science + Foundation Year

Hello all

I was offered to study at Swansea in September back last year. I should be starting this September, I briefly looked over my course in the past and was confident but due to my dyslexia I must have glanced over this without realising.

I see that there are two Maths modules in the foundation year. I'm really panicking at the minute because I was terrible at Maths - I only got a C in GCSE in Maths and I have dyscalculia too. I also haven't done Maths in about 4 years.

I'm extremely worried about this as I didn't know there were two dedicated Maths modules - I know computer science is inherently Mathematics based but these pure maths based modules are very intimidating. I'm starting to worry if I'll even be able to pass the foundation year.

Does anyone here know what I should do? I thought about delaying my year to go into it next September so I have some time to refresh my memory on the Maths, as I don't think there is enough time now. I'm extremely down on myself, I keep thinking I have a low IQ or am simply stupid. I suffer from pretty bad OCD as well so that isn't helping at the minute.
I also saw on the Maths module pages that they both contain self-directed learning whereas the computer science modules don't. I'm assuming this means there wont be a whole lot of support and it is expected the student teaches themselves. I'm very anxious at the minute.

here is the link to the course for anyone wondering:

Spoiler

Medicine at Swansea University
Swansea University
Visit website
@Swansea University Enquiries Would you know where I could get some advise for this?
Original post by Anonymous
@Swansea University Enquiries Would you know where I could get some advise for this?

*advice
Original post by Anonymous
*advice

Hi,

You have done the right thing in reaching out for advice on your concerns. I would suggest that you get in touch with us either by emailing us or contacting us through our live chat so we can get some personal details. Using the live chat option would provide a quicker response. We can then ask one someone in the Computer Science department to contact you to discuss the modules and offer advice to you on the best thing to do.

I hope this helps. If you can mention that I (Del) have advised you to contact us.

Del

Quick Reply

Latest