The Student Room Group

Best lecturer/lecture you've ever had?

Super interested in this! Mostly because I am doing a guest lecture at my university (as postgrad student) soon

What stood out for your the most?
Reply 1
Richard Gombrich at Oxford, by a country mile.

Depth of knowledge but also clarity of complex information. His love of the subject matter really came through, and he was very engaging - left a lot of time for questions, was very patient and was hilarious.
Original post by Noodlzzz
Super interested in this! Mostly because I am doing a guest lecture at my university (as postgrad student) soon

Hi @Noodlzzz

My best lecturer has been the one who is consistently friendly and engaging with us students. We have a relatively small, regular class so I appreciate it might not be possible in all cases, but he knew us all by name very early on, and made us feel really welcome. He is also really enthusiastic about what he teaches! Reading the tiny font of a 200 year old newspaper doesn't sound the most exciting thing to do on a Thursday afternoon, but the passion our lecturer had really rubbed off on us students (and me in particular, as I will be starting a PhD in October based on the research I began as a result of his third-year module!)

Being friendly and passionate, those are the best qualities I've experienced within lecturers :smile:

Grace
BA History
MA Nineteenth Century Studies (History and English Literature)

Hey @Noodlzzz,

This definitely goes to my pre-production lecturer. He is a fountain of knowledge; each lecture got me hooked from start to finish—his ability to tie theory to industry practice is enlightening.

It's such a shame that I'll be graduating this year. I would have loved to keep learning invaluable insights that he picked up from working in the industry and a decade of teaching.

I hope this helps,
- Jesse, 3rd Year Animation Student

As a one off, a slightly squiffy but very happy Australian carrying a six pack of beer announcing the discovery of the W boson that he and others had been looking for, and then explaining how and why that was important. A bit of a hard one to replicate however, your timing needs to be just right and you only get to do it once :smile:.
William Doyle, a series of lectures for first year undergraduates titled something like "The French Revolution as a Disaster". Scheduled for 9am on a Monday morning he wasn't sure if anyone would turn up, but the hall was packed with students from all 3 years. Standing room only.
Best lecturer I ever had was my undergrad dissertation supervisor's second year course on 'ethnomusicology and the urban encounter' (so basically how music shapes a city, and how a city shapes the music). It was packed full of interesting and varied case studies but it didn't feel like we were being rushed through any of them. His intelligence and enthusiasm really shone through in a very natural and unassuming way (he's THE most famous British scholar in the field, but you wouldn't think it or know it by looking at him/the way he acts: he's very humble and unassuming). Even people who don't have an interest in ethnomusicology but who tried out the course anyway, loved it! :biggrin:

Interestingly, though: his first year lecture series was the first lecture series I had at Oxford and I didn't think much of it at all. It stood out for all the wrong reasons :tongue: So it's not like he had a natural/automatic knack for it :nah:

Quick Reply

Latest