Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

There are A LOT of things I can't eat :( Watch

ReputationRep:
    Basically, my mum has a lot of food allergies and intolerences and so there's a lot of things she can't eat. I, being the delightful daughter that I am, offered to eat the same as her so that she would at least not be the only deprived one in the house. Foolish of me, because now the list of things that I can't eat is longer than my arm.
    Here goes:
    Wheat
    Yeast
    Gluten
    Sugar
    Dairy (including eggs)
    Some cured meats
    Some seafood
    Fermented stuff (so no alcohol, vinegar etc)

It's rubbish. Really rubbish.
    Is there anyone who has anything like this? Also, anyone got any suggestions for something DELICIOUS I can have that doesn't involve anything listed above?

On a plus side, I've been needing to shift a few pounds (only a few mind!) and since starting this new regime about a week and a half ago I've lost NINE pounds. Actually nine. Not too bad

ReputationRep:
    What meals do you have?!

ReputationRep:
    I have a nut allergy so I have to avoid everything that says "may contain traces of nuts" or "made in a factory that uses nut ingredients" so it means I have to avoid virtually everything that Tesco sell... :p: Wow I can't think of anything you can actually eat! But you can get allergy free cookbooks, I have one, so try those

ReputationRep:
    Well, what does your mum have to eat?

ReputationRep:
    Has your other seen a dietician to get ideas of what she can eat?

ReputationRep:
    We eat mostly rice, vegetables and meat.
    Hahah, when I write it down it sounds so ridiculous!

I can eat some fruit, but not too much as it has quite a lot of sugar in it.

I just want a really lovely thing to eat, but I can't think of anything!
    The idea of crisps is just so tempting. Mmm, and toast! Mmmm...

ReputationRep:
    My housemate is allergic to dairy, eggs and yeast (and a few other things that I can't remember) and she eats a lot of 'Free from...' stuff, e.g. dairy free mayo...could that be an option?

ReputationRep:
    I'm wheat intolerant/coeliac disease (don't know which one yet, doctor lost my blood results) and it's a pain in the arse. Worst thing is going on holiday but it's so worth cutting it out. Make sure you get the correct vitamins etc as you are cutting out a LOT there. Even consider a multivitamin.

I can't even think of a meal you could possibly eat with all those.

ReputationRep:
    Oooh I forget that "free from" exist! I got some pizza bases from them the other day and had cheese-free pizza. Wasn't too bad at all

junglemonkey - the doctor LOST your results?! Talk about incompetence!
    That's pretty bad. I feel bad for people with genuine intolerences/allergies because I'm whinging on about not being able to eat anything, when in reality there are people who have it loads worse.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    I'm wheat intolerant/coeliac disease (don't know which one yet, doctor lost my blood results) and it's a pain in the arse. Worst thing is going on holiday but it's so worth cutting it out. Make sure you get the correct vitamins etc as you are cutting out a LOT there. Even consider a multivitamin.

I can't even think of a meal you could possibly eat with all those.
    Hope that you do have Coeliac Disease - free prescriptions on the NHS for bread, some biscuits, pasta, flour, etc. It is definitely worth getting considering how ridiculously expensive a lot of gluten-free food is when it needn't be. Yeah, it can be a pain in the arse, especially if you'd eaten food with gluten beforehand so you're actually having to cut food out of your already existing diet. Fortunately, I was diagnosed at the age of 2 with Coeliac Disease (ridiculous term anyway, 'disease') and so it's not as though I miss any foods I used to like.

OP, I think it's sweet that you offered to do this for your mum. Of course it'll be difficult, but it'll open you up to many strange diverse foods you might not have even heard of before. "Free From" food would certainly be useful, though be wary of its comparatively expensive price. I assume your mum has to cook quite a lot of her food? Why not help her out and/or ask her to make larger portions so you can have the same. Alternatively, seek a dietician who will be able to give you advice and might suggest foods you can cook yourself.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Brook Taylor)
    Hope that you do have Coeliac Disease - free prescriptions on the NHS for bread, some biscuits, pasta, flour, etc. It is definitely worth getting considering how ridiculously expensive a lot of gluten-free food is when it needn't be. Yeah, it can be a pain in the arse, especially if you'd eaten food with gluten beforehand so you're actually having to cut food out of your already existing diet. Fortunately, I was diagnosed at the age of 2 with Coeliac Disease (ridiculous term anyway, 'disease') and so it's not as though I miss any foods I used to like.
    How do you eat on holiday?! I find restaurant eating really daunting lol. I think the waiters think I'm being picky! I'd def rather have Coeliacs, mainly because people take it seriously + free food (£5 for a loaf of rank bread in Holland and Barrett!). I'd had chronic stomach pain for 10 years and was so depressed because of it so I was more than willing to cut gluten out and it was gone in a few days! My doctor says you don't get abdominal pain with coeliacs though :rolleyes:

It's a lot harder to work out a wheat free diet, though, than a gluten free because it's not as well labelled.

To the OP, I think it's nice you're eating the same as your mum. Just make sure you're healthy with it. My whole family had a chinese takeout in front of me last night

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of an intolerance to sugar before.

ReputationRep:
    My mum can't eat exactly the same stuff, only she can cope with eggs!

ReputationRep:
    Quinoa's good, you can get it in lots of shops.
    And I love Tesco Gluten Free porridge.
    Just get lots of vegetables, stuff like curly kale's full of calcium
    With no sugar, can you still have honey (I guess, seeing as how starch converts to a sugar anywho)
    Also, sod the rubbish soya milk, have almond milk, it's awesome =)
    You can also easily make gluten free tortillas with your allergies, PM me for the recipe if you want it.
    And finally, Sheeze isn't a bad substitute, I love the smoked stuff personally. Also, tofu is nice if it's marinaded.
    Spices and herbs will soon be your bestest friend

ReputationRep:
    The similar food list with me, but i'm accustomed to my diet now.
    PS: I have some albumen powder imported from New Zealand everyday.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by junglemonkey)
    How do you eat on holiday?! I find restaurant eating really daunting lol. I think the waiters think I'm being picky! I'd def rather have Coeliacs, mainly because people take it seriously + free food (£5 for a loaf of rank bread in Holland and Barrett!). I'd had chronic stomach pain for 10 years and was so depressed because of it so I was more than willing to cut gluten out and it was gone in a few days! My doctor says you don't get abdominal pain with coeliacs though :rolleyes:

It's a lot harder to work out a wheat free diet, though, than a gluten free because it's not as well labelled.

To the OP, I think it's nice you're eating the same as your mum. Just make sure you're healthy with it. My whole family had a chinese takeout in front of me last night
    Eating on holiday is a case of common sense (thinking logically about what could contain gluten, for example, pastries, breads and pastas are almost certainly a no-go), and learning a little of the local language (w00t for unintended alliteration) so you can ask whether certain sauces or such things contain flour (arguably the main thing you have to watch out for, as it's often used to thicken). Alternatively, you can print out restaurant cards from here, which I personally haven't used before, though I can imagine they're very useful.

I also tend to feel guilty when eating out as I worry people think my diet is just a choice of mine, and it often takes some effort to try and find out what foods contain gluten, usually having to go through various waiters/waitresses and chefs. I envy countries like Italy where it's compulsory for people in the restaurant business to be aware of what foods contain gluten.

And I feel your pain when everyone seems to be enjoying all their food in front of you which you can't eat. I never used to be bothered by it at all, until my girlfriend (well, now ex) worked her arse off to make me feel "normal", insisting on not eating gluten in front of me, cooking us way too many amazing gluten-free meals. I will never be able to repay her wonderful kindness.

</threadhijack>

ReputationRep:
    Ahh thanks guys. I was beginning to feel like maybe I was just being silly doing it, because thus far the majority reaction has been "Why are you doing that? It's stupid"

Peanut42 - Yeah, it's something to do with it activating yeast within the body? It gives my ma eczema IN her ears
    Brook Taylor - How sweet! That's a really kind thing for her to have done. I guess that's what I'm trying to do with my mum. Because her intolerences have gotten to a stage where she mostly can't eat "normal" stuff, she ends up cooking two meals -one for her and one for everyone else. So I kinda thought I'd try it too
    QuantumTheory - I love quinoa! I ate it a lot before this whole thing anyway, so it's not as if I'm adding this weird new thing to my diet, which is good. Also, I've never heard of almond milk! Where can I get some? I'm not too sure if I can have honey to be honest. I've only been doing it for about a week and half, but the difference is very noticeable already. With the sugar thing, I'm reluctant to try it, because I ate some birthday cake (my little sister was nine; my mum and I had a tiny piece each ) but it really upset my stomach. I think it's because refined sugar isn't a natural part of the human diet, so when you cut it out then re-introduce it, your body goes "NOOOOO!" FAIL.
    Junglemonkey - Yeah, you're so right, I have to read food packaging so carefully now - there's wheat hidden in the weirdest places! Aww I feel your pain! That's so mean of them. Mum and I have certain foods in the house that are delicious (for instance: pumpkin seeds toasted in wheat/gluten free soya sauce) that only we are allowed to eat, so that it feels like we still have special treats.

To be honest, it's fairly difficult not to be healthy with what I'm eating! I mean, a typical days food would be: cooked brown rice, with some bacon and chopped tomato for breakfast (sounds odd, but is yummy), wheat free pasta salad with green lettuce and beans for lunch, and roasted vegetables with some chicken for dinner.
    That sounds okay yeah? I mean, like I said, I can't have too much fruit, but I do have some during the and I drink a lot of water.
    For all you seasoned chaps with intolerences (or in fact anyone who knows even slightly what they're talking about), does it sound like I'm missing anything out?

ReputationRep:
    ok,
    there is lentils (red ones i like)
    rice
    beans
    veggie mix (anything you can think of!)
    corn pasta
    quinoa
    gluten free bulgur
    (cuouscous, but not sure about that)
    (sweet) potatoes
    green salads

all of the above come in different forms that may also help with variation in taste your diet. you can eat whatever meat you can eat, tofu, seitan, etc with it.
    bases for sauce is tomatosuce, soycream, coconut milk, tahin and stock up a variation of spices to make delicious sauces and dressings.

i, for example like vegetable curries, dal, tofu scramble, gluten free pasta with sauce, quinoa salad, rucola with tahin dressing, ...
    allso all of the above you can eat cold for your next day lunch.
    as for taste without salt, sometimes a little oil does help.

buy a vegan cookbook, and then go from there substituting all things containing gluten, and skip whatever you cant eat.
    look out for dairy free chocolat (there also is milk chocolate with soymilk out there), or add cocoa powder to your vegan cookies. you might like dates as a sweet snack.

it's incredibly nice of you to support your mum this way. seriously, this is the sweetest thing!
    but it doesnt mean, you cant treat yourself sometimes with eating out with freinds, or just eat a regular bar of chocolate or whatever when you dont eat with her, right?
    but be prepared that after you cannged your diet, salted and sugared things etc will taste too "strong" and artificial to you.
    good luck with everything.

ReputationRep:
    my sister has very similar intolerences
    she is intolerant to:
    lactose - so dairy
    fructose - fruit
    sucrose - sugar
    eggs
    yeast - so no bread and all fermented foods mushrooms, alcohol
    rice
    red meat and fish have too much sugar in
    wheat

so she lives on corn foods she has corn cracker, corn pasta etc. potatoes she can only have roast or jacket or else it has too much sugar
    she eats alot of salads and vegetables
    soups are good
    chicken
    we make some cakes without eggs and use glucose instead (if i remember what the recipe is ill let you know)
    and this might not be the case with you but she can eat very yellow/green bananas as low in sugar.
    and she can have french yeast as it is fermented in a different way (we found this out in france- and the doctor told her why but it might not be the same for you)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Slice)
    Basically, my mum has a lot of food allergies and intolerences and so there's a lot of things she can't eat. I, being the delightful daughter that I am, offered to eat the same as her so that she would at least not be the only deprived one in the house. Foolish of me, because now the list of things that I can't eat is longer than my arm.
    Here goes:
    Wheat
    Yeast
    Gluten
    Sugar
    Dairy (including eggs)
    Some cured meats
    Some seafood
    Fermented stuff (so no alcohol, vinegar etc)

It's rubbish. Really rubbish.
    Is there anyone who has anything like this? Also, anyone got any suggestions for something DELICIOUS I can have that doesn't involve anything listed above?

On a plus side, I've been needing to shift a few pounds (only a few mind!) and since starting this new regime about a week and a half ago I've lost NINE pounds. Actually nine. Not too bad
    Okay.. Thinking of some things you CAN eat...

Avocado-on it's own, with lemon juice or balsamic dressing, chopped up in salad, as guacamole, as a smoothie, as a Brazilian dessert

Nuts (search raw recipes for a vast array of raw foods, think cashew cream, almond milk, raw pecan pie, raw cashew cheese filled zuccini 'ravioli', almond cakes and biscuits (www.elenaspantry.com)
    Peanut, almond or cashew butter of course as well :P

Rice-really versatile... Mushroom or saffron or cherry tomato or butternut squash or pumpkin risotto, paella, biriyani, combine with tofu to make burgers.

Chickpeas-Chana masala, chickpea burgers, casseroles, snacks, cutlets, use chickpea flour to make crepes and pancake and dough

Beans-Chilli, salad, fajitahs, burritos, soup, refried beans, curry, burgers

Coconut-Use in desserts, lots of lovely thai desserts like mango and sticky coconut rice, warm sweet coconut milk with cooked bananas inside, smoothies, to flavor curries and rice, often replaces cream in soups, sauces and desserts.

Tofu-use instead of eggs and cheese in cakes, cheesecake, cube and deep fry for some extra protein, slicely thin and marinade in spices and olive oil and bake, Japanese tofu steak, inari, beancurd, lots of options! A really versatile food.

Sweet potato and potato-The only thing I like normal potatos for are wedgies and gnocci (you could probably have either of these), but potato starch can also be a good thickening agent. Sweet potato on the other hand i'm at the moment addicted to, bake one for an hour, put on a little salt and top with Channa masala or just a bit of salt! MMM.

Of course you can also do lots of roast and baked vegetables, casseroles with rice made dumplings, stir fries with rice noodles and various sources (try peanut satay!), salads, grated carrot give a lot of flavor to things, not forgetting salt and mustard.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.