Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter
    Offline

    1
    ReputationRep:
    I have an summer vacation job for which I have already signed the contract. I have just been told I have an interview for another firm (firm B) in a different area (trading) which I would really really love it if I got it, as its what I want to do long term, but it's not as fun flying halfway across the country and taking care of myself for the summer which I would be doing if I did go with Firm A.

    But I have already signed the contract for employer A, and do not want to screw myself over by rescinding the contract/renegging especially in this job market, and I was only 1 of 2 people to get the exact package I did in Western Australia. And also I was rejected by every other company so my pickings will be slim when im a grad.

    I have a phone interview for firm B in a few days, and was wondering how I can tell them that I would really want to work for them but dont want to burn myself by renegging Firm A in this bad job market.

    I was thinking of waiting until if I get a real interview to tell them at the end (if I get it) that I would love to work for them, but cant as have just signed another exploding offer and would appreciate it if they could keep my details for the next summer or if I could go part time during the sem? (I think the place operates 24h a day). Would that be reasonable?

    Any thoughts? I'm quite new to this, so would appreciate any advice.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bally)
    I have an summer vacation job for which I have already signed the contract. I have just been told I have an interview for another firm (firm B) in a different area (trading) which I would really really love it if I got it, as its what I want to do long term, but it's not as fun flying halfway across the country and taking care of myself for the summer which I would be doing if I did go with Firm A.

    But I have already signed the contract for employer A, and do not want to screw myself over by rescinding the contract/renegging especially in this job market, and I was only 1 of 2 people to get the exact package I did in Western Australia. And also I was rejected by every other company so my pickings will be slim when im a grad.

    I have a phone interview for firm B in a few days, and was wondering how I can tell them that I would really want to work for them but dont want to burn myself by renegging Firm A in this bad job market.

    I was thinking of waiting until if I get a real interview to tell them at the end (if I get it) that I would love to work for them, but cant as have just signed another exploding offer and would appreciate it if they could keep my details for the next summer or if I could go part time during the sem? (I think the place operates 24h a day). Would that be reasonable?

    Any thoughts? I'm quite new to this, so would appreciate any advice.
    I think your best bet would be to tell them as early as possible - if you string them along until interview stage they will be pretty cross. So I'd say contacting them to say that you've accepted an alternative offer, but you're still very interested in their firm, and would they consider holding onto your details for next year. Let them know where you're going and keep in touch with things like a grad offer etc.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    Read similar threads off of Nicube from last application year. They unsurprisingly disagree with love2learn - who has chalked up another for the list.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    For me it's quite easy:

    If trading is really what you want to do in the long-term then go to the interviews and don't tell them about the other offer. If you get it, take it and if you don't go to Firm A.
    Offline

    2
    ReputationRep:
    (Original post by martiandogeater)
    Read similar threads off of Nicube from last application year. They unsurprisingly disagree with love2learn - who has chalked up another for the list.
    Nice.

    While the general consensus is that firms are OK with going back on a contract, this post (from what I understood of it) was asking about something different.

    He's already signed and accepted and intends to work there
    However a new firm has come up which he would like to work at next year.
    Therefore the question is what can he say to this firm to keep his options open for next year.
    Therefore what I've said is an appropriate course of action. You may wish to read the opening thread before you just criticise what I've said.
    Offline

    0
    ReputationRep:
    No I'm quite happy. Thanks for asking.
 
 
 
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

    Articles:

    Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

    Featured recruiter profiles:

    Deutsche Bank logo

    Deutsche Bank is recruiting

    "Thrive in an international banking environment"

    Quick link:

    Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

    Groups associated with this forum:

    View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

    You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

  • The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

    Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

    Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.