Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If you get to OASC and you fail... do they offer you other options withing the RAF you could join? Thanks Paul

ReputationRep:
    it depends which part you fail on and why you are at OASC (e.g. 6th for scholarship etc)

ReputationRep:
    i see, iv applied for NCA WSOp, say if you failed the apptitude test? (which is my biggest concern)

ReputationRep:
    Generally no....not voluntarily but careers counselling is available while you are there should you require it. If you fail aptitude you used to be able to change to a different branch (say you failed pilot but passed WSO). On some occasions you may not have considered pilot but score exceptionally highly, they may ask you to consider changing your options.

If you fail at interview, you will get feedback from your AFCO and they can make suggestions. Generally if they think you just need some more maturing time or practise in a position of leadership they say this in their advice such as 'go to university and apply in 2 years' but they will not say 'Bloggs should join as an airman'. If you fail OASC you don't get an offer. Although Head above the clouds! found that she was invited back...

No one really knows the workings of OASC apart form perhaps Wzz. I still stand by GR29KHSs comment that they use a dartboard........

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ph0en1x23)
    i see, iv applied for NCA WSOp, say if you failed the apptitude test? (which is my biggest concern)
    They cannot offer you NCO trades other than WSOp. You would have to go back to the AFCO. You could however switch to a commissioned ground branch ad continue with the OASC process. Although I did hear rumour that they aren't doing that any more, possibly to stop all the failed pilots from continuing with OASC doing well for supply then turning the job down and going back to OASC 1 year later.

ReputationRep:
    If you get to OASC and you fail... do they offer you other options withing the RAF you could join? Thanks Paul
    The answer is simply no!

If for whatever reason fail apptitude or any other phase of the selection process they will not offer you anything else. They will advise you on alternative routes (airman entry) or explain why you failed and the best way to strenghthen your application for next time. You then leave and are able to take time to make the right decision not one you will regret later.

They did at one time in the past, offer alternatives there and then, this has now ceased. i.e. You went to OASC having applied to be a pilot, you fail the apptitude, they then offer you a job as a supply officer. You accept the offer, complete IOT, complete 18 weeks supply officer training, get to your first unit and hate your job and want to leave the RAF. Reason for PVRing, I really wanted to be a pilot!!!!

Get where I'm coming from!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cashew868)
    They did at one time in the past, offer alternatives there and then, this has now ceased. i.e. You went to OASC having applied to be a pilot, you fail the apptitude, they then offer you a job as a supply officer. You accept the offer, complete IOT, complete 18 weeks supply officer training, get to your first unit and hate your job and want to leave the RAF. Reason for PVRing, I really wanted to be a pilot!!!!

Get where I'm coming from!

Yaaargh, rumour mill was correct then

ReputationRep:
    yeah so you dont make a rash dicision just because youve failed. As for maturing im 23 and feel that shouldnt be a problem, i know exactly my reason for joinning.
    The reason iv been worried bout apptitude is basicaly i havnt done any maths or anythin in a while (if ya dont use it ya lose it, term comes to mind) so im rusty, but i guess ill have plenty time to scrub up if i get through the AFCO filter interview, which i have soon.

iv got to wait 6 month before i can re apply after failing havnt i?

ReputationRep:
    I think it's possible they could say they never want to see you again. And some get told a year I believe. Sorry, that's patchy information at best, someone else'll give you a more accurate response.

ReputationRep:
    ''never want to see you again'' think that could be alittle extreme! ... or atleast i hope! ! lol

ReputationRep:
    It's a year minimum between attempts at aptitude.

ReputationRep:
    ''never want to see you again'' think that could be alittle extreme! ... or atleast i hope! ! lol
    From what I've heard, they are fairly blunt. Maybe not that blunt though haha.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    From what I've heard, they are fairly blunt. Maybe not that blunt though haha.
    The don't waste words. My AOSB debrief was blunt and to the point. There's not point in waffling away with niceties. That's why reports are often demoralising, there's no point on telling a candidate what they're good at.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    They'll allow you to continue for another branch that was on your choice list anyway, but won't let you add a new branch there in case it's a rash decision.

What would you want to do as a second choice to WSOp? Have you thought about it?

ReputationRep:
    no havnt thought about it.... i didnt put a second choice on my informal application (yellow form) iv not filled in my formal application yet (green one you take to interview) can i put my 2nd choice on that after iv looked through and decided... or is to late seen as i didnt put it on my yellow form?

thanks paul

ReputationRep:
    i've got OASC in 3 weeks and just been told you can still add choices if you want just by calling Cranwell.

i'm going for WSO and WSOp and thinking of adding intelligence too.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, i think im definatly going to add another choice, because i dont really want to be waiting another year to re-apply if i was unfortunate enought to fail.
    Basically if rejected... would they stream you into your 2nd choice if you knew adequete information and were good enough... because i wouldnt wanna be another 6 - 12 months! !

ReputationRep:
    Just make sure that you're not just adding something for the sake of it.

I had Pilot and WSO down, but really I only wanted to be a Pilot, adding something else too would have been a big mistake as I could have been offered it and started doing a job that I didn't really want to do.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.