hyacinth's gap year blog

Watch this thread
hyacinth77
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello there,

I go by Hyacinth on TSR and I've always wanted to make my own blog on here ever since GCSEs. Well somehow it's been two years and I thought I might as well start my blog now!

I'm currently planning on taking a gap year from 2022-23 and I'm both excited and anxious about it. I have applied through UCAS and I hold a conditional offer to study modern languages at university so if the world is in my favour all I won't have to worry about re-applying for now.

I'm quite new to making posts and everything so please be nice haha (this first post won't be the prettiest but I'm sure I'll learn as I go along )

Here are some of the goals I have in mind for the year ahead. It'd be really nice if I could stay consistent with some of them:

1) Get a part-time job that I'll commit to for the entire year
2) Volunteer at a theatre at least twice a week (they host plays in Spanish and I'd like to study languages at uni so I thought it'd help me with speaking practice/communication skills)
3) Learn how to drive and get my driver's license
4) Sign up for the gym and go at least three days a week
5) Join a judo club and attend their beginner's sessions every Friday
6) Get better at cooking by making at least one meal a day by myself, from start to end (not including breakfast of course)
7) Spend at least half an hour reading every day (I want to try and get through two books a week)
8) Maintain my ability in Spanish by offering tuition to GCSE students in my old school on Saturdays (I've heard that it's paid so I'll look into it)
9) Practice drawing more often (I was never particularly good but I've always really liked drawing) Aim to complete one drawing a day in an A5 sketchbook

I want to try and make a post at least once/twice a week updating you on how things are going

I'm really hoping I can create a nice space on here and I'm very much looking forward to it!

My GCSE Grades if you're curious:
Spoiler:
Show

Eduqas English Literature - 6
Eduqas English Language - 6
Edexcel Maths - 5 (Resat in November)
AQA Combined Science- 6-5
AQA History - 6
AQA Religious Studies - 7
AQA Spanish - 7
AQA Art and Design (Graphic Communication) - 6
OCR Computer Science - 5

note: I was in that year when covid arrived and ruined everything so I ended up with a set of random grades haha

A Levels and Predictions:
Spoiler:
Show

AQA Spanish - B
AQA Philosophy - C
OCR Classical Civilisation - C

My aspirational grades:
AQA Spanish - A
AQA Philosophy - A
OCR Classical Civilisation - B

I actually think my exams went quite well but we'll have to wait and see on results day- I only really need BBB to keep my offer but AAB would also be super nice

Tagged people <3
Spoiler:
Show
Last edited by hyacinth77; 4 weeks ago
TriplexA
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by hyacinth77)
Hello there,

I go by Hyacinth on TSR and I've always wanted to make my own blog on here ever since GCSEs. Well somehow it's been two years and I thought I might as well start my blog now!

I'm currently planning on taking a gap year from 2022-23 and I'm both excited and anxious about it. I have applied through UCAS and I hold a conditional offer to study modern languages at university so if the world is in my favour all I won't have to worry about re-applying for now.

I'm quite new to making posts and everything so please be nice haha (this first post won't be the prettiest but I'm sure I'll learn as I go along )

Here are some of the goals I have in mind for the year ahead. It'd be really nice if I could stay consistent with some of them:

2) Volunteer at a theatre at least twice a week (they host plays in Spanish and I'd like to study languages at uni so I thought it'd help me with speaking practice/communication skills)
6) Get better at cooking by making at least one meal a day by myself, from start to end (not including breakfast of course)
7) Spend at least half an hour reading every day (I want to try and get through two books a week)
8) Maintain my ability in Spanish by offering tuition to GCSE students in my old school on Saturdays (I've heard that it's paid so I'll look into it)
9) Practice drawing more often (I was never particularly good but I've always really liked drawing) Aim to complete one drawing a day in an A5 sketchbook

I want to try and make a post at least once/twice a week updating you on how things are going

I'm really hoping I can create a nice space on here and I'm very much looking forward to it!

Spoiler:
Show

AQA History - 6
AQA Spanish - 7
OCR Computer Science - 5

note: I was in that year when covid arrived and ruined everything so I ended up with a set of random grades haha

Spoiler:
Show

AQA Spanish - B
AQA Philosophy - C

My aspirational grades:
AQA Spanish - A
AQA Philosophy - A

I actually think my exams went quite well but we'll have to wait and see on results day- I only really need BBB to keep my offer but AAB would also be super nice
Hi again.

Sounds like a very productive gap year!

You can tag others into your blog like so hyacinth77. Feel free to tag me in your first post.

Best wishes.
Last edited by TriplexA; 1 month ago
hyacinth77
Rep:
(Original post by TriplexA)
Hi again.

Sounds like a very productive gap year!

You can tag others into your blog like so hyacinth77. Feel free to tag me in your first post.

Best wishes.
Hello!

I would be very happy to tag you
hyacinth77
Rep:
*:・゚✧*:・゚friday 24th june 2022 *:・゚✧*:・゚

I had meant to make a post yesterday but I completely forgot.

The last week or so has been mostly uneventful. I'm not sure how I'll be able to wait a whole two months before results day but I'll try my best. I've just been starting work experience at my current school to help GCSE students with their speaking practice. I'm also going to be doing some more work experience at my old primary school. It's a tad excessive but I'm still considering doing teaching in the future so hopefully this will help me get some more insight.

I've also been applying to a lot of jobs. I got my first rejection today which was disheartening but I'm really hoping that I get an interview soon. I'm really not fussed about the pay, I'd just like some structure and a chance to gain some discipline.

On my agenda for today we've got the following:
1. Read up about some internships my Philosophy teacher recommended to me to see if I actually want to apply to them
2. Attempt to start reading the Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern (I've had a dusty copy of her book for ages now)
3. Help out with the chores (today I've got to sort out my bedside table it's just so messy) alongside the typical hoovering, doing the dishes etc
4. Make a short list of two books in Spanish that I want to finish (completely) by the end of summer
5. Reply to an email I got nearly a week ago (oopsie)

UPDATE: I didn't end up doing any of these things
Last edited by hyacinth77; 1 month ago
hyacinth77
Rep:
☆⁺˚*♡⁺˚*☆ how the past week has been for me ☆⁺˚*♡⁺˚*☆

I should really try to be more consistent with this blog, but the past week was super busy!

Monday 27th June
On Monday I went back to my old primary school to do some work experience. It was super nice seeing all of my old teachers (and most of them actually remembered me!) I ended up in a Year 1 class, where my Year 1 teacher, who taught me all those years ago recognised me as soon as she saw me. Two other girls I was doing work experience also went to my old primary school, and they were in the year below me. The class I helped out with were really sweet, and it felt like a nice trip down memory lane.

Tuesday 28th June
Day 2 of my work experience at my old primary school. One of the boys in the Year 1 class I was introduced to yesterday remembered my name! There was an assembly in the morning so I just awkwardly sat on one of the spare chairs. It was quite similar to Monday, except that another teacher was teaching the class that day.

Wednesday 29th June
This was the first day of me actually conducting speaking exams for the Year 9s at my school. I ended up being quite late (which stressed my Spanish teacher out) so the start was a bit bumpy. But it ended up actually being ok- I got to do speaking practice with about 4 or 5 students, which isn't too bad. After the morning lessons, I walked home with two of my friends.

This was also the day that I got an email saying that I've got a job interview! I got to book my own slot for Saturday at half 2

Thursday 30th June
Thursday was a very eventful day indeed!
I wasn't late this time (thankfully), do some more speaking exams for the Year 9's. I feel that this time around I did a lot better compared to yesterday. It's not actually timed so I ended up doing another 4 students. One of them in particular was actually quite good in speaking!

Then there was an indoor picnic with all the A Level Spanish students from Year 12 and 13 (a whopping number of 6 ) and the department. Maybe it was because it was indoors due to the bad weather, but I didn't really enjoy it Maybe I was just having a bad day but I kinda just wanted to go home. I ended up forgetting about it until the day, so I couldn't bring any food with me. It could've been worse to be honest, if I had to rate it out of 10 I'd give it a 4.5.

After that, in the evening there was a performance at school- A Greek performance in fact!
It just felt so cool to know all the context behind the fragments of the four plays they performed (Medea, Oedipus Rex, Bacchae and Antigone) as I did A Level Classics. My sister was also part of the performance so it was fun to cheer her on (she did really well in her non-speaking role)

Friday 1st July
Today was the day of my prom, but I ended up not going. I had intially wanted to go (probably because we were made to buy tickets way back in April) but around two weeks prior I realised that I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I went. Overall, I don't really regret going but I'm so glad that my friends went and had such a good time

Saturday 2nd July
Mainly consisted of me worrying about my first ever job interview. Overall, I'd say that it went quite well (I was very nervous though) I got told that I'd be called to see if I was successful by Monday or Tuesday at the very latest.

Sunday 3rd July
Ended up doing some cleaning, changing the bedsheets etc. I usually assign Sunday as my reset day, and this is something that I want to keep doing

Hopefully this wasn't too long!
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
☆⁺˚*♡⁺˚*☆ how the past week has been for me ☆⁺˚*♡⁺˚*☆

I should really try to be more consistent with this blog, but the past week was super busy!

Monday 27th June
On Monday I went back to my old primary school to do some work experience. It was super nice seeing all of my old teachers (and most of them actually remembered me!) I ended up in a Year 1 class, where my Year 1 teacher, who taught me all those years ago recognised me as soon as she saw me. Two other girls I was doing work experience also went to my old primary school, and they were in the year below me. The class I helped out with were really sweet, and it felt like a nice trip down memory lane.

Tuesday 28th June
Day 2 of my work experience at my old primary school. One of the boys in the Year 1 class I was introduced to yesterday remembered my name! There was an assembly in the morning so I just awkwardly sat on one of the spare chairs. It was quite similar to Monday, except that another teacher was teaching the class that day.

Wednesday 29th June
This was the first day of me actually conducting speaking exams for the Year 9s at my school. I ended up being quite late (which stressed my Spanish teacher out) so the start was a bit bumpy. But it ended up actually being ok- I got to do speaking practice with about 4 or 5 students, which isn't too bad. After the morning lessons, I walked home with two of my friends.

This was also the day that I got an email saying that I've got a job interview! I got to book my own slot for Saturday at half 2

Thursday 30th June
Thursday was a very eventful day indeed!
I wasn't late this time (thankfully), do some more speaking exams for the Year 9's. I feel that this time around I did a lot better compared to yesterday. It's not actually timed so I ended up doing another 4 students. One of them in particular was actually quite good in speaking!

Then there was an indoor picnic with all the A Level Spanish students from Year 12 and 13 (a whopping number of 6 ) and the department. Maybe it was because it was indoors due to the bad weather, but I didn't really enjoy it Maybe I was just having a bad day but I kinda just wanted to go home. I ended up forgetting about it until the day, so I couldn't bring any food with me. It could've been worse to be honest, if I had to rate it out of 10 I'd give it a 4.5.

After that, in the evening there was a performance at school- A Greek performance in fact!
It just felt so cool to know all the context behind the fragments of the four plays they performed (Medea, Oedipus Rex, Bacchae and Antigone) as I did A Level Classics. My sister was also part of the performance so it was fun to cheer her on (she did really well in her non-speaking role)

Friday 1st July
Today was the day of my prom, but I ended up not going. I had intially wanted to go (probably because we were made to buy tickets way back in April) but around two weeks prior I realised that I probably wouldn't enjoy it if I went. Overall, I don't really regret going but I'm so glad that my friends went and had such a good time

Saturday 2nd July
Mainly consisted of me worrying about my first ever job interview. Overall, I'd say that it went quite well (I was very nervous though) I got told that I'd be called to see if I was successful by Monday or Tuesday at the very latest.

Sunday 3rd July
Ended up doing some cleaning, changing the bedsheets etc. I usually assign Sunday as my reset day, and this is something that I want to keep doing

Hopefully this wasn't too long!
Congrats on your job interview!
hyacinth77
Rep:
Thank you!!
hyacinth77
Rep:
I was called about two hours to say that I GOT THE JOB. I'm going to start next Friday and I'm so excited. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The pay is lovely as well <3
TriplexA
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I was called about two hours to say that I GOT THE JOB. I'm going to start next Friday and I'm so excited. WOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

The pay is lovely as well <3
That's great news - massive well done to you!

Do keep the blog updated about how it goes.
hyacinth77
Rep:
That's great news - massive well done to you!

Do keep the blog updated about how it goes.
Thank you!!!!!

I will definitely try and stay consistent with the blog updates :rofl3:
charliie7107
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
This sounds similar to my gap year plans, did you get an idea of spanish books that you wanted to read by the end of summer? if so would be great if you could drop them here bc i've been told to do that by my teacher but i do not have a clue

Hello there,

Spoiler:
Show

AQA History - 6
AQA Spanish - 7
OCR Computer Science - 5

Spoiler:
Show

AQA Spanish - B
AQA Philosophy - C

My aspirational grades:
AQA Spanish - A
AQA Philosophy - A

Tagged people <3
Spoiler:
Show
hyacinth77
Rep:
(Original post by charliie7107)
This sounds similar to my gap year plans, did you get an idea of spanish books that you wanted to read by the end of summer? if so would be great if you could drop them here bc i've been told to do that by my teacher but i do not have a clue
Hi! Funnily enough, I never ended up reading any Spanish literature during my A Levels (apart from La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca oops :/ )

My Spanish teacher actually gave me a list of Spanish books to read, now that I think about it. These are the books that she recommended to me:

El amor en los tiempos del colera by Gabriel García Márquez
Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Márquez
Como agua para chocolate by Laura Beatriz Esquivel Valdés
Paula by Isabel Allende

Hope this helps

P.S If you want, I could tag you in the first post because it looks like we're doing some similar stuff
Last edited by hyacinth77; 1 month ago
charliie7107
Badges: 1
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Thank you and yes go for it, are you going to study Spanish at uni?

Hi! Funnily enough, I never ended up reading any Spanish literature during my A Levels (apart from La Casa de Bernarda Alba by Federico García Lorca oops :/ )

My Spanish teacher actually gave me a list of Spanish books to read, now that I think about it. These are the books that she recommended to me:

El amor en los tiempos del colera by Gabriel García Márquez
Cien años de soledad by Gabriel García Márquez
Como agua para chocolate by Laura Beatriz Esquivel Valdés
Paula by Isabel Allende

Hope this helps

P.S If you want, I could tag you in the first post because it looks like we're doing some similar stuff
hyacinth77
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 weeks ago
(Original post by charliie7107)
Thank you and yes go for it, are you going to study Spanish at uni?
You're welcome! And yes, I'll be studying Spanish at uni and picking up French too
hyacinth77
Rep:
the last few days:

Hello, hello, hello! The last few days have been interesting to say the least.

On Monday I got offered a job! I'm starting a week from today which I'm very excited about, probably because this will be my first part time job ever!

I've been doing work experience at my school for the MFL department by conducting speaking exams for the Year 9's. I don't really feel like I've been doing much of a good job but it's been ok so far. I've been coming in for the last two weeks or so, every Wednesday and Thursday. Next week will be the last week and then the work experience will be over. I can definitely say it's been good in stopping my brain from turning into mush haha.

Tomorrow is Eid, which I don't really feel prepared for. There's still some things I need to do to get ready but I hope it'll be a good day. I'll probably visit some cousins like I usually do. Last Eid I went to mini golf for the first time with my dad and sister and it actually ended up being really fun! Maybe this time we can go bowling?

I think I'm going to start posting my to-do lists for each day, just to see if I stick with my plans UwU

Today's to-do list:
1. Put on a hair and face mask
2. Have a shower
3. Get my hair sorted out for tomorrow (as well as my outfit )
4. Make a short list of the two/three books I'd like to read this July!
5. Listen to a Duolingo Spanish podcast (this is something I used to do quite often, but I haven't done it in a while so it'd be nice to get back into it)

Let's see what I get done today
hyacinth77
Rep:
Today's to-do list:
1. Put on a hair and face mask
2. Have a shower
3. Get my hair sorted out for tomorrow (as well as my outfit )
4. Make a short list of the two/three books I'd like to read this July!
5. Listen to a Duolingo Spanish podcast (this is something I used to do quite often, but I haven't done it in a while so it'd be nice to get back into it)

I've just put on a homemade hair and face mask that my mum makes every now and again. I'll have to wait a little while before I can wash it out so I'll be making a shortlist of books I want to read in the meantime

UPDATE AS OF 09/07/22
I ended up doing everything except number 5 (ended up going to bed quite late so it just didn't happen)
Eid has been ok so far, I just wish it was a bit cooler!
Last edited by hyacinth77; 4 weeks ago
hyacinth77
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
a late post

It's been about two weeks since I last posted on here, so I do hope that moving forward I can be a bit more consistent.

Not much has happened apart from getting used to my new job, which I've been enjoying thankfully. I also joined a group chat recently with other gap year students and that's been really fun as well.

I'm nearly finished with Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro, and it's been super good so far! Once I finish it I want to give Min Jin Lee's Pachinko a go before cracking down with some Spanish Literature- the top one on my list would be Paula by Isabel Allende.

I wish I had more to say but I don't at the moment.

Have a good rest of your day!
hyacinth77
Rep:
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
a brief update

From today it's exactly two weeks until A Level results day (how has this summer gone so quickly????) I'm super scared but at long last this period of my life will be over- hopefully I did ok.

I recently finished Never Let Me Go and my god was it good. It was sad in a way that was reflective and made me reconsider the power of memories and how they change over time. If you're into dystopian/science fiction I'd highly recommend it! I started Pachinko a few days ago and I have been enjoying it so far- the pace is a lot slower so I tend to read it in little chunks just so that I can appreciate the worldbuilding some more.

I've been really enjoying my new job- everyone's super nice and I haven't majorly messed up so I'm happy I'll have to do some overtime from next week for a bit as most of the staff will be on holiday (I'm planning on going next month hopefully) so I'll get the chance to get some extra cash!

I really hope you've had a nice day today.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Do you know what you'll do if you don't get the grades you're hoping for?

Find something else in clearing (8)
34.78%
Take a gap year (5)
21.74%
Resit my exams (6)
26.09%
Look for alternate pathways to the career I want (2)
8.7%
I don't know yet (1)
4.35%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (1)
4.35%

Watched Threads