Turn on thread page Beta

(as)rep Available: Temporary And Permanent Dipoles watch

ReputationRep:
    hi there,

just trying to get my head around it, so any help will be appreciated, thanks.

Okay so:

you have an electron cloud around a cl2 molecule.
    when we say 'electron cloud', does this refer to the outer electrons of that atom?

how can an elctron cloud be evenly distributed? Are they saying that there are 1 electron on one side and 1 electron on the other side of the cloud?

how does the electron cloud change? I mean, if you have the cloud evenly distributed, they why would it change?

if something is unpolarised isnt it neutral? and is this the reason water is attracted to it?

thanks
    rep available

ReputationRep:
    Electron cloud means all of the electrons around the molecule.

If the electron cloud is evenly distributed, it means that there is no real bunching up, as it were, of electrons in any one place around the molecule. So, there's approximately the same number at the 'top' and the 'bottom' or so on and so forth. The cloud will change because electrons are constantly moving, or orbiting, around the nucleus. For this reason, at some point, you may end up with an unevenly distributed electron cloud, which will lead to a temporary dipole.

If something in unpolarised, then it doesn't have any centres of positive/negative charge. A polar molecule could be neutral as well.

ReputationRep:
    da electron init bizzles n stuff n goes to the postiv one n shizzle i finnk

ReputationRep:
    A dipole refers to a difference in charge. (Hence, di = two, so 2 charges) Dipole-dipole bonding refers to how two or more dipolar molecules interact and bond with each other.

When you refer to electron cloud, this takes into account all electrons in all orbitals. In the case of a Cl2 molecule, since the 2 atoms have the same number of electrons, the charge is distributed evenly, and as a result, there is no dipole.

The electron cloud does not change around the atom, unless you add or remove electrons. It is simply how electrostatic forces interact with each other. HCL, for example, is a polar molecule, as there is a difference in charge between the Hydrogen and Choline atoms.

I think...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Mute)
    A dipole refers to a difference in charge. (Hence, di = two, so 2 charges) Dipole-dipole bonding refers to how two or more dipolar molecules interact and bond with each other.

When you refer to electron cloud, this takes into account all electrons in all orbitals. In the case of a Cl2 molecule, since the 2 atoms have the same number of electrons, the charge is distributed evenly, and as a result, there is no dipole.

The electron cloud does not change around the atom, unless you add or remove electrons. It is simply how electrostatic forces interact with each other. HCL, for example, is a polar molecule, as there is a difference in charge between the Hydrogen and Choline atoms.

I think...
    Chlorine! Choline is C5H14NO+ and it is a very big difference as Eier von Satan can tell you =)

By the way, a permanent dipole may arise from differences in electronegativity such as the polarisation of the distribution of the electron cloud in the H-Cl bond, resulting in partially positive and partially negative charges which may bond to each other. A temporary dipole, if I'm not wrong, is always present due to the random distribution of charges in a molecule =)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oracle_163)
    Chlorine! Choline is C5H14NO+ and it is a very big difference as Eier von Satan can tell you =)
    Oh my!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: November 10, 2008

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
  2. Norwich University of the Arts
    Undergraduate Open Days Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Sep '18
  3. Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 29 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.