The Student Room Group

Further Maths A-level if not studying maths at Uni?

I’m in year 11, almost finished with my GCSEs. In my mocks i got a 9 in regular maths and an 8 in further maths. My subject choices for college are currently German, Philosophy and Maths. Although I do enjoy maths a lot, especially further maths, it’s not something i’m *extremely* passionate about. I’m also not great at self discipline, so am not too efficient at home-learning. However, my parents are encouraging me to do further maths, as they say it’d be a waste for me to not do 4 alevels (got 9s in all other subjects). At Uni im planning to study Criminology and possibly German, which obviously does not require any maths, but i’m worried that i might regret not taking further maths at a-level, if normal maths feels too simple. Therefore, the only reason for me doing further maths would be to see how far i can develop my maths skills, as well as maybe gain some bragging rights for completing one of the hardest Alevels. Are these good enough reasons for putting myself through the extra workload and stress? Thanks
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by katjavdb
I’m in year 11, almost finished with my GCSEs. In my mocks i got a 9 in regular maths and an 8 in further maths. My subject choices for college are currently German, Philosophy and Maths. Although I do enjoy maths a lot, especially further maths, it’s not something i’m *extremely* passionate about. I’m also not great at self discipline, so am not too efficient at home-learning. However, my parents are encouraging me to do further maths, as they say it’d be a waste for me to not do 4 alevels (got 9s in all other subjects). At Uni im planning to study Criminology and possibly German, which obviously does not require any maths, but i’m worried that i might regret not taking further maths at a-level, if normal maths feels too simple. Therefore, the only reason for me doing further maths would be to see how far i can develop my maths skills, as well as maybe gain some bragging rights for completing one of the hardest Alevels. Are these good enough reasons for putting myself through the extra workload and stress? Thanks

The jump between GCSE and Alevels is bigger than the jump between Alevels and Uni work, meaning that a levels are more challenging. However getting a 9 and 8 in those two maths subjects is amazing. You could do further maths for AS and then drop it at A2, however if you do three subjects and the EPQ then that is also very good. It's whatever you feel confident doing, I don't think you'll regret not doing it, especially if you don't need it for your subjects, but as you've already done so much at gcse then go for it if you feel up for it :smile: Maybe speak to a college or a levels advisor?
Original post by Jake9920
The jump between GCSE and Alevels is bigger than the jump between Alevels and Uni work, meaning that a levels are more challenging. However getting a 9 and 8 in those two maths subjects is amazing. You could do further maths for AS and then drop it at A2, however if you do three subjects and the EPQ then that is also very good. It's whatever you feel confident doing, I don't think you'll regret not doing it, especially if you don't need it for your subjects, but as you've already done so much at gcse then go for it if you feel up for it :smile: Maybe speak to a college or a levels advisor?

Disagree with that in terms of maths, it's a whole different world at degree level.

Original post by katjavdb

Honestly I think there will be no benefit in taking it. If you find the core A-level Maths content sufficient for you and want to challenge yourself, you can look at trying your hand on old STEP I papers (which only presupposed A-level Maths - no longer runs now), UKMT challenges (does not require or presuppose FM as far as I'm aware), self teaching some of the more broadly relevant topics from FM while skipping over more narrowly relevant ones (so looking at matrices/complex numbers yourself, while not bother so much with conic sections or something), or looking at degree level mathematical material accessible to strong school maths students (e.g. introductory analysis type stuff ala Spivak's Calculus, or something similar in other areas like linear algebra or number theory maybe).

All of those will let you explore maths more beyond the syllabus, but also all give you the flexibility of being able to spend more time on your actual academics when needed, and does not overly stretch your abilities during e.g. exam season etc.

Although as an aside, following from your thread title I'd point out FM is very useful for quite a few degrees other than maths, just not the ones you're considering. It's very useful for e.g. CS, engineering, physics, materials science, and reasonably useful for chemistry and earth sciences degrees too.
(edited 1 year ago)

Quick Reply

Latest