The Student Room Group

Hey should I redo the yr and choose maths for med for Cambridge Medicine

Help
Which uni are you considering? Do they require maths?
Cambridge
Original post by Roxibox123
Cambridge

No it doesn't require maths, what other a levels are you doing?
Help

Absolutely not. There are 30+ other medical schools to choose from and rankings do not matter at all for medicine.
Help

Why Cambridge? There's about 35 med schools in the UK and only Cambridge ask for bio, chem and physics/maths. Have you applied this year or are you 2023 entry? What A levels are you taking and roughly what grades are you on track for?
Still I would have to pick smthn else eda
In bio chem Latin
In bio chem Latin

Those three would leave every med school aside from 1 as an option, allowing you a good chance to apply strategically based on your GCSEs/UCAT etc.

I've not checked where individual med schools stand on taking 3 years for A levels recently, but would you not be limiting your choices more by resitting a year?
I'm not sure but my mocks were baaad EDA
No, just apply to literally any other medical school in the UK.

Cambridge is the only medical school that requires a 3rd science/maths subject.

Doing your A-levels over 3 years (rather than resitting exams after taking them in the normal 2 year period, or starting with completely different subjects and changing to those ones) would in fact most likely put you out of the running for most if not all medical schools.

All around terrible idea.
(edited 1 year ago)
A lot of unis require you to complete A levels within the normal two years. Don’t do it. Look at Oxford instead, if you must.
Should I resit or not tho based off my mocks
Should I resit or not tho based off my mocks

Again some med schools are funny about resitting an entire year, check with individual ones but I don't think many allow it. Your mock grades don't matter directly, but if those become your predictions they will definitely limit your options this cycle (Although you might be able to find 4 med schools that don't look at predictions, again check websites). If you're set on med, you can apply after year 13 with AAA achieved grades, but based on those mocks you need to consider if achieving AAA is realistic for you. If not, you don't have many options to study med in the UK so it might be worth looking into backup plans that require lower grades.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending