Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm currently self-teaching myself mei maths a level. I was wondering if anyone could help with the coursework for C3. I just need some ideas of formulas I could use to base my work on? I've been told that often teachers give their students a list of formulas to choose from, so hopefully this isn't breaking any rules?
    Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    I think we need to know more.

ReputationRep:
    I have been told to select 3 different equations, here is what I have to do:

TASK: Candidates will investigate the solution of equations using the following three methods.
    (i) Systematic search for change of sign using one of the methods: bisection, decimal search, linear interpolation.
    (ii) Fixed point iteration using the Newton-Raphson method.
    (iii) Fixed point iteration after rearranging the equation f(x) = 0 into the form x = g(x).

Students should avoid trivial equations both when solving them, and when demonstrating failure.

ReputationRep:
    x=sin x might be ok for a start.

This has been discussed here before. Try searching for the old thread and you might find something useful.

ReputationRep:
    Well, the C3 coursework is quite tricky. I'd recommend getting a maths program like autograph to help. As it is impossible to draw the graphs by hand!
    There are 3 methods you need to use to work out the graphs:
    1. change of sign - decimal search. find one root
    2. Newton-Raphson iteration. equation must have at least 2 roots and all must be solved
    3. fixed point iteration - one root to be found
    The graphs have to be different for each method and unsolvable numerically.

1. basically you are searching for the area of the graph where the graph crosses the x axis. Use a range of x values and solve f(x) for each of them. e.g. say that the change in sign occurs between x=a and x=b. root lies between a and b. increase range to 1 dp between a and b. do this until you get the answer to 4 significant figures
    2. based on iteration: x(subscript: n+1) = x(subscript: n) - (f(x(subscript:n) over the differential of f(x)) when n=1,2,3,4... when the inital approximation is x (subscript:0)
    3. rearrange y=f(x) into x=g(x)

If you need more info. PM me

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, I've been searching through old threads but still cant find any equations I can use! And I thought the exam was supposed to be the hard part!

ReputationRep:
    So if anyone can give any examples of equations they were given to use in their coursework that would be great thanks

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.