How long should you wait to hear back for a direct university application?

Watch this thread
memphis180
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
I applied to several universities at the start of March (directly to the university - not through UCAS) and while most have responded in several weeks or less, my main choice is not responding. Would it be reasonable to continue waiting or is nearly 4 months extensive for an application? Many thanks!!!
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 days ago
Email those Unis and ask them.
memphis180
Rep:
Report Thread starter 5 days ago
(Original post by McGinger)
Email those Unis and ask them.
They just say how long is a piece of string. "Every university has its process" or "no comment"

Would like to know from someone experienced what the ballpark should be
Admit-One
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by memphis180)
They just say how long is a piece of string. "Every university has its process" or "no comment"

Would like to know from someone experienced what the ballpark should be
They should be able to confirm the latest that you should hear, or an approximate timescale in weeks from the point that you submit all the required info.

A postgrad app could take 4-12 weeks to hear back. But as you say, it's one of those "how long is a piece of string?" Q's because you could hear back within a week, or be on hold for several months.

If you have deadlines elsewhere or are concerned about visas etc, tell them and get them to give you a latest date.
memphis180
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
If you have deadlines elsewhere or are concerned about visas etc, tell them and get them to give you a latest date.
They flat out refuse to give a date and say it's with the admissions tutor who will hopefully respond soon. They've suggested that they may or may not supply a decision by the UCAS deadline, but the application isn't even through UCAS. I really do need to get some kind of control over this otherwise I might not be able to sort things out in time - I did not anticipate they would not give a timeframe.
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
They flat out refuse to give a date and say it's with the admissions tutor who will hopefully respond soon. They've suggested that they may or may not supply a decision by the UCAS deadline, but the application isn't even through UCAS. I really do need to get some kind of control over this otherwise I might not be able to sort things out in time - I did not anticipate they would not give a timeframe.
It sounds like you've either gotten through to the wrong person, or a generic team who deals with all admissions but hasn't realised you're a postgrad app.

I would suggest calling the academic department to see if you can get a bit more sense out of them.
memphis180
Rep:
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Admit-One)
It sounds like you've either gotten through to the wrong person, or a generic team who deals with all admissions but hasn't realised you're a postgrad app.

I would suggest calling the academic department to see if you can get a bit more sense out of them.
Sorry, I meant this is an undergrad application. Just tried the department who were none the wiser but suggested it may take as long as August. People give different answers too i.e. sometimes it's with the course team, other times it is in the hands of an admissions tutor. All a bit silly!
Admit-One
Rep:
Report 3 days ago
Sorry, I meant this is an undergrad application. Just tried the department who were none the wiser but suggested it may take as long as August. People give different answers too i.e. sometimes it's with the course team, other times it is in the hands of an admissions tutor. All a bit silly!
Ah ok, so it's an undergrad app, but direct to the uni (not via UCAS)? In that case, yes, they are not beholden to the UCAS dates but I am still surprised they cannot tell you the latest date you may hear back.

It can help to nudge them to let them know you have deadlines elsewhere. Whilst I would never encourage you to lie, that of course may or may not be true
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (19)
27.54%
As I expected (22)
31.88%
Harder (25)
36.23%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.35%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed