The Student Room Group

Please help Isaac Physics B7.6

I don't know how to complete this question, my answers seem to be wrong, could someone please help me answer it?

A spring with natural length 0.70 m requires 3.2 N to stretch it by 17.5cm. Work out the force required to stretch the spring to a length of 83cm.

Thank you
Reply 1
Original post by littleliv101
I don't know how to complete this question, my answers seem to be wrong, could someone please help me answer it?

A spring with natural length 0.70 m requires 3.2 N to stretch it by 17.5cm. Work out the force required to stretch the spring to a length of 83cm.

Thank you

What did you get for the spring constant? Could you show how you got to the incorrect answer?
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
What did you get for the spring constant? Could you show how you got to the incorrect answer?

i did 0.7m- 0.175 which i got 0.525 for extension
I divided that against 3.2N to get 6.09 for spring constant (which i think is wrong)
I then minused 0.83 against 0.7 for extension
then multiplied the numbers to get 0.7917 for the answer
I am just clueless i guess...
Reply 3
Original post by littleliv101
i did 0.7m- 0.175 which i got 0.525 for extension
I divided that against 3.2N to get 6.09 for spring constant (which i think is wrong)
I then minused 0.83 against 0.7 for extension
then multiplied the numbers to get 0.7917 for the answer
I am just clueless i guess...

Overall you approached the problem right but made some errors along the way.
They gave you the extension in the question - it's 17.5cm. the spring starts off at 70 cm, and then is extended by 17.5 cm, not to 17.5

Last two steps were correct, only you didn't have the right value for spring constant.
(edited 1 year ago)
Original post by Sinnoh
Overall you approached the problem right but made some errors along the way.
They gave you the extension in the question - it's 17.5cm. the spring starts off at 70 cm, and then is extended by 17.5 cm, not to 17.5

Last two steps were correct, only you didn't have the right value for spring constant.

Okay thank you

Quick Reply

Latest