The Student Room Group

Where can i find jobs as a 16 year old during gcse summer

Anyone know a good website or even a good place to work ?
Original post by sarank

Try local independent shops, pubs or restaurants. They are much more likely to accept young workers with no experience than supermarkets or chains.
Original post by sarank

Boots the chemist, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Argos and other supermarkets as well as local wee shop's.
Majority of vacancies are done via the companies own website as probably have more success than using other site's. McDonald's and KFC as well.

The supermarkets and boots do employ young people like yourself but you'll be restricted in what departments ( areas of the stores / shop's ) due to the age 18 restrictions rules.

Tesco pays all there staff £10.55p per hour from July. And others are starting to follow them with increasing the hourly pay.
Work at ur local fish and chips place
im 15 and get paid £7 and hr
Fish and chips lad
Original post by sarank
Reply 5
Original post by Aronisah8
Fish and chips lad

bet thanks
Reply 6
Original post by Tracey_W
Boots the chemist, Tesco, Asda, Sainsbury's and Argos and other supermarkets as well as local wee shop's.
Majority of vacancies are done via the companies own website as probably have more success than using other site's. McDonald's and KFC as well.

The supermarkets and boots do employ young people like yourself but you'll be restricted in what departments ( areas of the stores / shop's ) due to the age 18 restrictions rules.

Tesco pays all there staff £10.55p per hour from July. And others are starting to follow them with increasing the hourly pay.

wait so 16yr olds get £10 an hour ? damn

Original post by bea_murray0
Try local independent shops, pubs or restaurants. They are much more likely to accept young workers with no experience than supermarkets or chains.

ok thanks
do u know if it’s all tesco branches as i’m in south london
Don’t work at supermarkets There’s too much red tape involvedWork at a local restaurant The pay is similar
Original post by michaela341
do u know if it’s all tesco branches as i’m in south london

If you meaning about the pay for all the Tesco stores in London then yes it applies to every store not only in London but UK.
Londoners tends to be paid a higher pay than the rest of the UK so you'll need to ask what the hourly rate is for the London stores if applying.
Original post by sarank
wait so 16yr olds get £10 an hour ? damn

ok thanks

Yeah all the staff gets paid equally okay.
Original post by Tracey_W
If you meaning about the pay for all the Tesco stores in London then yes it applies to every store not only in London but UK.
Londoners tends to be paid a higher pay than the rest of the UK so you'll need to ask what the hourly rate is for the London stores if applying.

i’ve written up my cv but how does applying for a temp (i’m looking at 1-2 weeks) job differ from anormal one?
Original post by michaela341
i’ve written up my cv but how does applying for a temp (i’m looking at 1-2 weeks) job differ from anormal one?

There's not much positions offering a one to two weeks like with majority of any retailer's.

Something like what you are looking for would be best probably looking at local stores.

There's usually a minimum of say 12 weeks with Tesco and other supermarkets prior to perhaps being offered a permanent job.

You could apply for a job still with them and then after your first week hand in your notice that you are leaving the end of the following week say but is it worth the hassle for few weeks as your pay for this won't probably go through until say the following month but you will need to request it to be paid asap.
If you're looking for a longer term part time job indeed.com is great
https://uk.indeed.com/jobs?q=part%20time%2016%20year%20old&l&from=searchOnHP&vjk=37dcfd8093bfe9c4
Original post by sarank

Use indeed they have good jobs
Original post by sarank

Have a look at my pocket skill.
Original post by sarank

Most shops, supermarkets, fast food places, cafes, restaurants, cinemas, local attractions, touristy type places etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending