Turn on thread page Beta

Unprotected sex, now i'm worried sick. watch

Okay on Saturday night my boyfriend came over and we were having sex using a condom but he kept slipping out, since I'm on the pill we decided to go for it without a condom...
    However now I'm worried sick that I may have caught something, even though he said he's clean. And even though I'm on the pill I'm so paranoid that I might be pregnant. I've definitely learnt from my mistake and can't believe I was so stupid to have sex without a condom.
    But I was wondering, how soon can I take a pregnancy test? I just want to know as soon as possible so I can either put my mind to rest or deal with it. Also the same for how soon can I get tested for STI's?

Any help appreciated, has anyone been in this situation and what did you do?

ReputationRep:
    First of it is highly highly unlikely that you are pregnant, your on the pill which is a good contraceptive. I was on the pill for a year and never used a condom and didnt get prenant. Although both me and my partner had full checks at a GUM clinic before we stopped using condoms. If I was you I would go with your partner and both get checked at the GUM clinic that way if it ever happens again you know that you will both be okay and give you peace of mind.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 5697)
    First of it is highly highly unlikely that you are pregnant, your on the pill which is a good contraceptive. I was on the pill for a year and never used a condom and didnt get prenant. Although both me and my partner had full checks at a GUM clinic before we stopped using condoms. If I was you I would go with your partner and both get checked at the GUM clinic that way if it ever happens again you know that you will both be okay and give you peace of mind.
    Says it better than I can.
    :yep:

Thanks so much for your advice! I know the chances of me being pregnant are very very very small, I'm just one of those people who is convinced that out of the 99% of people who don't get pregnant, i'll be the 1% that does!!
    I was looking on the internet and it suggests waiting 10 days before getting checked for STI's so guess i'll have to wait.

ReputationRep:
    I think a good saying here is.. better to be safe than to be sorry! I think that is it..

Chances are you do not have to worry.. but it is good you are taking precautions!

Does your partner's past experiences lead you to believe there is a strong chance of STI?

(Original post by Guru Sauce)
    I think a good saying here is.. better to be safe than to be sorry! I think that is it..

Chances are you do not have to worry.. but it is good you are taking precautions!

Does your partner's past experiences lead you to believe there is a strong chance of STI?
    Not really, well he seems like a nice guy. The thing is i'm 18 and he's 29, so even though i trust him, i'm not sure what he could have picked up from the girls before me...if that makes sense?

Also even though i'm on the pill, could I take the morning after pill as an extra precaution?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Not really, well he seems like a nice guy. The thing is i'm 18 and he's 29, so even though i trust him, i'm not sure what he could have picked up from the girls before me...if that makes sense?

Also even though i'm on the pill, could I take the morning after pill as an extra precaution?
    There is seriously no need, plus taking the morning after pill will just mess you up when you're already on the pill. I know it's a weird concept to get used to if you're used to condoms but provided you're taking it correctly the pill is an incredibly reliable contraceptive.

STIs is a different issue. You'll probably be fine but go to a GUM clinic and get tested anyway to put your mind at rest. I'm not actually sure how long before you can get tested but it's not very long at all, I know for HIV it's months but it is so so unlikely you'd get that so just get tested for everything else.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks so much for your advice! I know the chances of me being pregnant are very very very small, I'm just one of those people who is convinced that out of the 99% of people who don't get pregnant, i'll be the 1% that does!!
    I was looking on the internet and it suggests waiting 10 days before getting checked for STI's so guess i'll have to wait.
    The pill is more effective at preventing pregnancy than a condom when taken correctly! It's like 99.7% effective which is to say that if 100 women take the pill properly for a year, only 0.3% will become pregnant throughout that year. (Rather than it being 99.7% of times you have sex).

Don't bother with the MAP - seriously! Many many women use the pill as their sole contraceptive!

DO get checked out at a GUM clinic though, in 10 days or so. Not because I'm saying it's really likely you'll have something, but from experience you'll just have that niggly feeling eating away at you until you do and the only way to get peace of mind is get checked, so do

So what? Doesn't matter 1 in 8 young people in the UK get chlamydia.

I was one of them. I'm a nice girl and I hadn't had sex for almost three years when I picked it up from a one night thing with a friend. What are the odds eh?

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry about pregnancy. A lot of people use the contraceptive pill as their only form of contraception.

Also taking the morning after pill is completely unnecessary. It works by preventing ovulation if you haven't already ovulated. But you're already taking something which does exactly the same job, and more reliably. I could be wrong, but I think the hormones in the MAP are the same as what's in your pills, but in a higher dose.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 11, 2008
The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.