What does the men think of girls with

Watch this thread
Anonymous #1
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Mental health! I really do wonder if you find weirdness in girls who are open about their mental health or those we you know live with mental health.
londonmyst
Badges: 19
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
Depends on the specific guy, his attitudes towards mental health and discussing related issues.
Can vary a lot between different guys and age groups.
asif007
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
I think lots of girls use the term "mental health" too loosely these days. Being quirky or "weird" or having alternative interests has no bearing on your mental health. But if you're talking about a genuine diagnosis of clinical depression, generalised anxiety disorder or personality disorders then that's a separate discussion. I think most guys would find it hard dating a girl with a mental illness diagnosis like any of these I've mentioned.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by asif007)
I think lots of girls use the term "mental health" too loosely these days. Being quirky or "weird" or having alternative interests has no bearing on your mental health. But if you're talking about a genuine diagnosis of clinical depression, generalised anxiety disorder or personality disorders then that's a separate discussion. I think most guys would find it hard dating a girl with a mental illness diagnosis like any of these I've mentioned.
Honestly I agree but mh doesn’t have to be diagnosed to be valid. We all struggle with it and depending on the person, how deeply.
anosmianAcrimony
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I mean. There are two types of girls - the girls that are open about the fact that they have challenges with their mental health sometimes, and the girls who also have challenges but don't talk about it. And for the record that describes guys too. I'll take a person from the first category, thank you.
asif007
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Anonymous)
Honestly I agree but mh doesn’t have to be diagnosed to be valid. We all struggle with it and depending on the person, how deeply.
This is true. But I think men would take a woman's mental health more seriously if they had a genuine diagnosis. The reason I said that lots of girls use "mental health" too loosely these days is because some of them just want men to listen to their issues, give them emotional support and label it "mental health" even when there is no genuine problem. Everybody has their ups and downs, but not everybody who has ups and downs has a problem with their mental health.
DarylO
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Mental health! I really do wonder if you find weirdness in girls who are open about their mental health or those we you know live with mental health.
As a lady with mental health issues, I honestly don't know and don't even have the energy to care. But based on how people receive me, I hide the signs very well so they're usually shocked when they find out about my issues. There have been a handful who have caught me at my worst moments, and they either saw me as crazy in a 'hot way' ( I absolutely despise this reaction) or weird in a fascinating way. I guess I don't get too much of a negative reaction because when I don't hide the signs, I don't behave in the stereotypical way they seem to expect. Perhaps, my soft countenance also plays a part in it. If someone who looked scarier or didn't sound like a mouse had an episode in front of them, I strongly doubt they would find it hot or fascinating.

I've literally had a dude say 'aww' during one of my episodes where I was catatonic. He really said aww.... He had no idea what I almost did to him minutes prior. I hope no one else experiences such silliness. I wish people in general were more educated about mental health so they would know how to react in certain situations.
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
I mean. There are two types of girls - the girls that are open about the fact that they have challenges with their mental health sometimes, and the girls who also have challenges but don't talk about it. And for the record that describes guys too. I'll take a person from the first category, thank you.
Your comment really made me wonder what category I would fit into. I used to be quite open about it. But some experiences made me feel safer keeping it to myself. Maybe I'm in-between both categories. I think I would only be open about it if my health can negatively affect the way I interact with someone.
Anonymous #1
(Original post by asif007)
This is true. But I think men would take a woman's mental health more seriously if they had a genuine diagnosis. The reason I said that lots of girls use "mental health" too loosely these days is because some of them just want men to listen to their issues, give them emotional support and label it "mental health" even when there is no genuine problem. Everybody has their ups and downs, but not everybody who has ups and downs has a problem with their mental health.
I agree actually not every down fall is a mental health struggle. I reckon actually if a girl struggles with let’s say depression and she’s just negative and always down, I suppose that can affect the guy who’s in the relationship/ friendship and that’s when it can be the turnoff

I struggle with anxiety and sometimes I can’t help but mention it and mention how it makes me think differently to others. I don’t know why I do it but i guess its so others can understand me
Anonymous #1
(Original post by DarylO)
As a lady with mental health issues, I honestly don't know and don't even have the energy to care. But based on how people receive me, I hide the signs very well so they're usually shocked when they find out about my issues. There have been a handful who have caught me at my worst moments, and they either saw me as crazy in a 'hot way' ( I absolutely despise this reaction) or weird in a fascinating way. I guess I don't get too much of a negative reaction because when I don't hide the signs, I don't behave in the stereotypical way they seem to expect. Perhaps, my soft countenance also plays a part in it. If someone who looked scarier or didn't sound like a mouse had an episode in front of them, I strongly doubt they would find it hot or fascinating.

I've literally had a dude say 'aww' during one of my episodes where I was catatonic. He really said aww.... He had no idea what I almost did to him minutes prior. I hope no one else experiences such silliness. I wish people in general were more educated about mental health so they would know how to react in certain situations.
Neither do I but I think it’ll be interesting to see how they view us. I’m starting to guess it’s more common than usual. For example some musicians will sing about how they like their girls “crazy” and that could be categorised as mental health too or “clingy” idk I just see things symptoms of some mental health issues. I guess men actually notice and acknowledge these things without knowing
DarylO
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Neither do I but I think it’ll be interesting to see how they view us. I’m starting to guess it’s more common than usual. For example some musicians will sing about how they like their girls “crazy” and that could be categorised as mental health too or “clingy” idk I just see things symptoms of some mental health issues. I guess men actually notice and acknowledge these things without knowing
Absolutely agree with everything you typed. A lot of musicians do romanticize these problems especially if it gives you severe mood swings. I've heard some songs with lyrics like 'she changes her moods like the English weather and I love it'. What's so lovable about that, though?

Also, men do indeed notice the signs. I mean, they're human too. They have the same problems and usually the same signs. I think the main issue for me is how some acknowledge it. It's not cute. It's serious. It usually takes something drastic to get proper acknowledgement.
londonmyst
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Sometimes those musicians say "mad" when they really mean wild without limites, very volatile, erratic or adventurous to the point of extreme recklessness.
Anonymous #2
Report 1 month ago
Depends what you mean by mental health, if you mean things along the lines of depression, I personally stay away from them
Awaitingquavers
Badges: 6
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by anosmianAcrimony)
Are you sure because in my experience many people who are very expressive and open about themselves, particularly when stressed, can talk non stop about themselves and be emotionally draining.

Whereas people who are more reserved might discuss their issues more in moderation but not be as draining
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How confident are you that you'll achieve the grades you need to get into your firm uni?

I think I've exceeded the grades for my university offer (23)
17.83%
I think I've met the grades for my university offer (31)
24.03%
I think I've missed the grades for my university offer (70)
54.26%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (5)
3.88%

Watched Threads