The Student Room Group

is this normal?:(

I am hoping to start uni this september, it’s something I really want to do but i’m anxious and indecisive like every day. i’ve taken a year off and it’s been good but I don’t know how to get back into the flow of things? and i’m freaking out about moving away from family and my bf and starting a new life.. i’m not confident about choosing unis either. I really want this for myself and I want to do well but literally what am I doing:frown:
Perhaps the first thing to do is consider what course you would enjoy doing and what unis you’d attend. Once you’ve figured all of that out, you may realised that suddenly you’re very excited about it, it might help in your choice of actually taking the leap and going to uni.

About your family and bf, it’s natural to feel worried about it and not want to leave but sometimes you have to put yourself, your eduction, and your future first. Everything that follows after, you’d deal with when the time comes. You will absolutely do well in the future, you wouldn’t be considering this big change if you didn't deeply think you could do it. Good luck!!
Original post by Anonymous
I am hoping to start uni this september, it’s something I really want to do but i’m anxious and indecisive like every day. i’ve taken a year off and it’s been good but I don’t know how to get back into the flow of things? and i’m freaking out about moving away from family and my bf and starting a new life.. i’m not confident about choosing unis either. I really want this for myself and I want to do well but literally what am I doing:frown:

Hey! :h:

Sorry to hear you're struggling with the anxiety and indecision of going to uni! It's something I experienced myself a good few years ago, and I remember it being a very challenging time - I couldn't think about much else, so I completely empathise with how you are feeling. What are you thinking of studying?

I think the important thing to remember is you're in control every step of the way. Whatever decision you make, it can be changed if necessary to your health and wellbeing. If you go to university and it is too much - you can come home. If you decide not to go and regret it, universities will still be there waiting for you. Moving away from family and starting a new journey is a daunting thing, and it's scary to know we won't really know how we'll deal with it until we do it.

As for getting back into the flow of things, I was out of education for 2 years before I started uni and it didn't take me too long to get into the swing of it! Lecturers and seminar leaders (generally all staff you'll come across) are very supportive and will be there to help and guide you should you choose to go. If you're going into first year, you'll all be in the same boat of it being new. Some people will be coming straight from sixth form/college and others will have had a year or two out, and some will possibly be mature students! As for choosing unis, visiting open days and the locations you're thinking of applying for can be really helpful!

I'd also advise having a little look at the student support the universities you're thinking of applying to offer, it may be reassuring for you to know if there will be people around to help if you find it difficult.

Ultimately, make sure you do what is best for you! That might look like facing your fears in order to do something you want to do, or it might look like giving yourself some more time to think things through. Either is totally okay and I hope that whatever you decide, it all works out wonderfully! If you have any questions at all about university please do feel free to let me know and I'll be happy to help! Wishing you all the best :h:

Danielle :smile:
Film and Television Studies
(edited 1 year ago)

Have you actually applied to any unis through UCAS?

Hey there!

My name is El and like you, I was quite unprepared for University and wasn't sure if I wanted to go due to my anxiety. I took a gap year too to do a Foundation Diploma in Arts which helped me a lot with preparing and getting ready for Uni- they always helped us talk through our worries about the idea of Uni which was lovely.

I knew for sure that I couldn't live away as I'm very close to my family and still wanted the ability to see them whenever I desired by also lived far away enough that I could live by myself if I enjoyed it. That is why I chose Coventry.
Coventry was the Uni that my dad went to when he was a student, which was lovely as he was able to show me around and told me many stories of his time there which made the place feel familiar and homely. My dad commuted everyday from our home village and so I knew it was possible to still live at home if I decided I didn't enjoy living away.

What helped me get into the love and passion of moving away was getting aid through Coventry's Student Health & Wellbeing department. At Coventry, they offer a 3 day stay in one of their nicest/newest accommodation with other students who had disabilities, mental health and were just overall nervous about moving too!
This was extremely useful as it got me to make new friends that I would have to rely on once Uni officially started, got me used to living away and living in a city and also got me used to the campus and what life is like being independent. This was truly a wonderful experience and helped me so much with my anxieties... I remember going home afterwards so joyful and excited which was so different to how I felt before this 3 day event.
So, I would highly advise getting in touch with you student health and wellbeing department to see what they have to offer for someone like you! Even if they don't have this offer, they may have other ways to hep you out or able to give you a Mental Health Mentor which I also had.

I hope this helps! Good luck, you've got this!

El

Hey!

I have just completed my first year at uni and I genuinely felt the exact same way this time last year! It's completely valid to be feeling this way because moving to uni is a big thing! It is a big life change and change in your routine!

It might take a few weeks to get into the swing off things but you will pick it up soon once you're there. I had about a 3 and half month summer off after A levels and I remember finding it a bit weird being back in education once again but you do adapt and get to used to it quicker than you think! From my experience the first few weeks often requires you making notes from the lectures and doing reading and then a few activities that get you thinking so hopefully this will help you ease into the education side of things more and then you'll be in the swing of it before any assignments or exams are set. Also, they should be really understanding that its first year and lots of people have taken time out of education. One of my friends hadn't been in education for 7 years and the uni should be aware that that not everyone has come immediately straight from education.

It is daunting moving away but its also a very exciting step in your life! At first, I felt really weird not seeing my family and friends often but after a little while, it does become the norm and you don't even realise that you haven't seen them for a few weeks! Always bare in mind that they are at the end of the phone and depending on how near your uni is, you can always pop back for a few days if you need to!

It might seem like agg what am i doing but from my experience once you get your close friends at uni, uni does become a second home! And then you have two separate groups of close people in your life! I've still kept friends with my friends from last year. Try and see uni as a chance to make new friendships but that doesn't mean saying goodbye to any of the friendships/relationships you have currently!

Best of luck with everything,
Abby, University of Chichester, First Year Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest