The Student Room Group

Ucas points

I study applied science and have missed 1 resit exam but passed all my coursework, can i still achieve at least 48 ucas points to get a course through clearing ?
What is the name of the qualification? Is it one of these, perhaps, or something else?

BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Diploma in Applied Science

I ask as the associated UCAS points is different for each.
As above, it depends on
a) exactly which qual you are taking
b) what your final results/grades are.
Reply 3
Original post by DataVenia
What is the name of the qualification? Is it one of these, perhaps, or something else?

BTEC Level 3 National Certificate in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 National Extended Certificate in Applied Science
BTEC Level 3 National Foundation Diploma in Applied Science

I ask as the associated UCAS points is different for each.

Original post by damarie18

It is possible speak to your school. What was the reason for missing an exam. Is there possibly a case for special cosideration.

OK. So that can be worth anything between 48 UCAS tariff points (for a PPP) to 168 UCAS tariff (for a D*D*D*). Your original question was "can i still achieve at least 48 ucas points", so you're effectively asking, "Can I pass, given that I missed one exam resit." Agreed?

Looking at the BTEC Nationals - Grade Calculator the answer would appear to be "No".

If I enter the bare minimum to pass each mandatory and optional unit, then it shows PPP overall - as expected. However, if any unit (either a mandatory internal unit, an mandatory external unit, or an optional unit) drops to a U - which is what I assume a "missed exam" would result in - then the overall grade drops to a U.

I assume that when you say that you have "have missed 1 resit exam" you mean you just didn't turn-up on the day. Is that right?

Also, you refer to this as a "resit". Did you get a score/grade the first time you sat it? Or didn't you turn up that day either?
Reply 6
Yes I got a score the first time but couldn’t they use my first grade instead ?
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 7
Original post by swanseajack1
It is possible speak to your school. What was the reason for missing an exam. Is there possibly a case for special cosideration.

None at all that’s the thing
Yes I got a score the first time but couldn’t they use my first grade instead ?

If you got a score the time, why did you arrange to resit? Were you not happy with the score?

According the the "BTEC Qualifications: Re-sit Rules" here:

Resit Rules for BTEC Nationals:
Learners are permitted to resit the external assessment twice. This equates to THREE attempts in total - one inclusive of registration, the remaining two attempts as re-sits.

Q: Which grade will count if a learner has sat more than one attempt of the same external assessment?
A: If learners resit an externally assessed unit, the best grade achieved will count towards their overall qualification grade, not necessarily the most recent sitting.

I'm really no expert on BTECs (or much else, to be honest!), so you should check this with your school/college.
Reply 9
I decided to resit because i wasn’t satisfied with result but thank you for the advice i’ll try have a word with my college

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending