Is it possible/useful to do a Master degree after Cambridge?

Watch this thread
Azra3l
Badges: 2
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
So I plan on applying to Cambridge next year, but I realized that they do some weird thing as "the MA is conferred by right on holders of the BA degree of the University". In the end you get a bachelor and a master in 4 years.

I always wanted to do my bachelor in the UK and a master in the US, but as it seems like if I get accepted and get my degree, I'll be granted a bachelor, I don't know if makes sense for me to go there. Indeed, it would be quite strange to apply for a master in the US when I already have one from Cambridge.

I just don't get how Cambridge grants something that takes two years to complete elsewhere, including in other top institutions.

So what value does the Cambridge granted Master have? and is it normal to go complete another one somewhere else or not?
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Azra3l)
So I plan on applying to Cambridge next year, but I realized that they do some weird thing as "the MA is conferred by right on holders of the BA degree of the University". In the end you get a bachelor and a master in 4 years.

I always wanted to do my bachelor in the UK and a master in the US, but as it seems like if I get accepted and get my degree, I'll be granted a bachelor, I don't know if makes sense for me to go there. Indeed, it would be quite strange to apply for a master in the US when I already have one from Cambridge.

I just don't get how Cambridge grants something that takes two years to complete elsewhere, including in other top institutions.

So what value does the Cambridge granted Master have? and is it normal to go complete another one somewhere else or not?
Hi there!

Masters degrees at Cambridge are a bit confusing. Leaving aside postgraduate courses for which you have to apply separately and are studied after graduating from an undergraduate course, there are two main sorts of Masters degrees. One is what's called a 'combined Masters' which is only offered in a limited number of science subjects (Maths, Engineering, Computer Science and some options within the Natural Sciences course). This is where you do not graduate after the third year of your course but move straight on to a Masters, subject to good exam performance in your third year. The advantage of this is that you are still eligible for undergraduate level student finance because you haven't yet graduated with your first degree. However, this option is not available in the Arts, Social Sciences, Humanities and most Biological Sciences.

The second sort of Masters is what's called the 'Cambridge MA'. This is not a qualification you do any studying for. It's optional and can be conferred a certain amount of time after you've finished your BA (all Cambridge courses are BAs, even the science ones). This is a historical legacy (I'm not quite sure why it still exists - I have one and I'm none the wiser!) and carries no weight with employers as it's not something you have to study for. You can find out more information about it here.

More generally, it's possible for people to have two Masters degrees in different areas, or that they've gained in different ways. For example, you might do a taught Masters course where you attend lectures and write essays (an MA, MSc or MPhil) and you might do another where you do research (an MRes). Although they're at the same level, they're different qualifications which show different skill sets so both are valuable.

I hope this helps!
Azra3l
Badges: 2
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Yes, thank you for your help !
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your results?

They're better than I expected (35)
33.33%