Diagnostic Radiography or Biomedical Science?

Watch this thread
Pandalovesfood
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I applied for diagnostic Radiography through UCAS Extra but I have still not received any offers at the moment. I have applied for Keele University but when I call them, they always say my application is being processed. UCAS Extra is ending soon in July 5th and I really don't wanna do UCAS clearing if I don't have but I don't think Keel will reply in time so I don't know if I should just change to biomedical science now? One of my friends who did UCAS Extra got her offer for Biomedical Science in 2 days. I don't know what I should do, please help me.
Last edited by Pandalovesfood; 1 month ago
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Pandalovesfood)
Hi, I'm in a bit of a dilemma right now. I applied for diagnostic Radiography through UCAS Extra but I have still not received any offers at the moment. I have applied for Keele University but when I call them, they always say my application is being processed. UCAS Extra is ending soon in July 5th and I really don't wanna do UCAS clearing if I don't have but I don't think Keel will reply in time so I don't know if I should just change to biomedical science now? One of my friends who did UCAS Extra got her offer for Biomedical Science in 2 days. I don't know what I should do, please help me.
diagnostic radiography and biomed are two very different courses. If you want to do radiography, why would you accept a biomed offer? It's not worth it just for the sake of having an offer/going to uni as you'd be wasting 3 years and thousands in tuition fees doing a course you don't want. What's wrong with clearing or a gap year to reapply?
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Radiography is very difficult to get into unless you have a lot of relevant work experience etc - this is probably why its in Extra, they just cant recruit the right people for the course. So, weigh up your experience etc and if you think Biomed etc is a safer bet, then ask about a course switch at Keele or apply somewhere else.
Pandalovesfood
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
diagnostic radiography and biomed are two very different courses. If you want to do radiography, why would you accept a biomed offer? It's not worth it just for the sake of having an offer/going to uni as you'd be wasting 3 years and thousands in tuition fees doing a course you don't want. What's wrong with clearing or a gap year to reapply?
I don't mind doing clearing but if I do clearing, I don't think Radiography will be there, even now in UCAS Extra, there's barely any universities left with places in radiography so by the time Clearing opens up, I think most off the places will be gone so I would have no option but to apply for another course like Biomedical Science.
Pandalovesfood
Rep:
(Original post by McGinger)
Radiography is very difficult to get into unless you have a lot of relevant work experience etc - this is probably why its in Extra, they just cant recruit the right people for the course. So, weigh up your experience etc and if you think Biomed etc is a safer bet, then ask about a course switch at Keele or apply somewhere else.
To be honest, I don't really have any work experience for Radiography, like I haven't been able to do any hospital visits due to COVID. However, due to this situation, they are more lenient with work experience because my first choice was nursing and I did my interviews for that course and they were okay with having no or few work experience as long as I could talk about transferable skills I have learnt from other work experience e.g. working in charity shops.
Pandalovesfood
Rep:
(Original post by bea_murray0)
Also, my parents would never allow me to take a gap year, even if I have to change my course to something else and I don't want to do a gap year either.
bea_murray0
Badges: 15
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
To be honest, I don't really have any work experience for Radiography, like I haven't been able to do any hospital visits due to COVID. However, due to this situation, they are more lenient with work experience because my first choice was nursing and I did my interviews for that course and they were okay with having no or few work experience as long as I could talk about transferable skills I have learnt from other work experience e.g. working in charity shops.
Also, my parents would never allow me to take a gap year, even if I have to change my course to something else and I don't want to do a gap year either.
Why don't you want to take a gap year? You could get a healthcare job to earn some money and healthcare experience (e.g. in a HCA job) and go for nursing again, in the grand scheme of a 40+ year career, a year out is a small price to pay for a career you love. I know people have different fmaily dynamics but a lot of parents have misconceptions so you could try to explain to your parents why it's a good idea to take a gap year? I know some parents view it as lazy or don't like the fact that it means you've been unsuccessful but if you use it productively it can be a brilliant thing, and hopefully your parents want what's best for you and want to you have a career you like. Maybe you could give them a plan of what you're going to do to make it productive if they're worried about it being a waste of time? At the end of the day, it's your future and they shouldn't stand in the way of a gap year. But like I said I understand families can be difficult and reasons for not wanting to take gap years are very individual and personal so I don't need to hear your reasons, just some food for thought because a lot of people go to uni just because they don't want to be seen as a failure or to be the only one 'left behind' etc. Basically, if you can avoid it, it's not worth doing any old course just to go to uni. Do you like biomed? Have you got an idea of careers you can do with a biomed degree? If you genuinely like biomed then go for it, I'm not saying you shouldn't do biomed, but I definitely am saying avoid doing biomed if it's not something you really want to do. Again, your reasons are not really my business so I'm not asking for answers the these questions, just things to think about before making a decision. Good luck with whatever you decide!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (19)
18.63%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (35)
34.31%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (6)
5.88%
Speaking to staff members from universities (2)
1.96%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (10)
9.8%
Reading articles about what steps to take (19)
18.63%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (4)
3.92%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (7)
6.86%

Watched Threads