Business and Management Query (Durham/Southampton)

Watch this thread
Merliin
Badges: 3
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hey,
So recently I've been considering applying for a Business and Management Course at either Durham or Southampton (I'm a Year 12 student currently), and I've been taking quite broad A-Levels, with Economics arguably being my favourite, however, I'm concerned a Business and Management Course may be heavily Maths based, I got a 7 in GCSE Maths and took A Levels Maths for 5 weeks before coming to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to cope later on considering how I wasn't doing so well. Are B+M courses heavily focused on Maths? Since if they are I might be considering against such a Degree, though I did reach a 7 (Predicted 8) in my GCSE.
Please provide any info if possible, thanks.
Durham Students
Badges: 12
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Merliin)
Hey,
So recently I've been considering applying for a Business and Management Course at either Durham or Southampton (I'm a Year 12 student currently), and I've been taking quite broad A-Levels, with Economics arguably being my favourite, however, I'm concerned a Business and Management Course may be heavily Maths based, I got a 7 in GCSE Maths and took A Levels Maths for 5 weeks before coming to the conclusion that I wouldn't be able to cope later on considering how I wasn't doing so well. Are B+M courses heavily focused on Maths? Since if they are I might be considering against such a Degree, though I did reach a 7 (Predicted 8) in my GCSE.
Hiya

At Durham, the business and management course is not maths dominated. You also don't need to have studied maths at A-level either. It's more important for finance students but not for business. You can find out more by talking to current business students here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/stude...t/unibuddy-uk/

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Merliin
Rep:
(Original post by Durham Students)
Hiya

At Durham, the business and management course is not maths dominated. You also don't need to have studied maths at A-level either. It's more important for finance students but not for business. You can find out more by talking to current business students here: https://www.durham.ac.uk/study/stude...t/unibuddy-uk/

-Himieka (Official DU Rep)
Ah. Great to hear, definitely will consider applying in the near future then, thank you! :')
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Lots of advice here about How to Avoid 5 Rejections - in particular, read the section about making sure you have a range of grade requirements carefully - https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/uni...ity-rejections
Merliin
Rep:
(Original post by Durham Students)
At Durham, the business and management course is not maths dominated.
When you mentioned this, which element of this course makes it so that a 7 in GCSE Maths is required? Not that I don't meet that, but why a 7?
swanseajack1
Badges: 19
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
Hey,
Business Management and Marketing courses usually are very Maths basds and often require Maths A level. Check this out. if a university has a Maths requirement they tend not to budge and you will almost certainly be rejected. If they dont ask for A level Maths they dont think you need it.
McGinger
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
As above - always, always, check the GCSE Maths and English requirements carefully for all Management / Marketing courses.
Uni of Southampton Students
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
Hey,
Hi Merliin,

Similar to a Durham from reading the posts below. Business Management courses at Southampton are not maths intensive, unless you choose for them to the be. The courses offers a lot of flexibility in 2nd and final year modules, whereby you heavily limit your maths based skills, if you choose to do so. The first year program offers an introduction to core business functions such as accountancy, management, marketing and analytics - some of these will include maths elements however not to the standard of which A-Level maths is required.

I hope this helps clarify!

All the best.

James
(Uos Business School Rep )
Last edited by Uni of Southampton Students; 4 weeks ago
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Y13s: How will you be receiving your A-level results?

In person (63)
68.48%
In the post (3)
3.26%
Text (13)
14.13%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (13)
14.13%

Watched Threads