Anglo-Saxon Norse and Celtic Studies Essay Requirements

Watch this thread
ladymacbeth182
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 week ago
Hi - I'm in Year 12, looking to study ASNC at Cambridge, but have noticed that two essays need to be sent as part of the admissions process.
Should these essays be written for the purpose of sending them, so on an ASNC-related topic? Or should they be taken from work done as part of my A-Levels?
Should they be typed or hand-written? Done under exam conditions? Timed?
I would really appreciate some guidance - thank you so much in advance!
Christ's Admissions
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 week ago
Typically these are essays written as part of your school studies, marked by a teacher, not something you need to write just for us. As the deadline to submit written works tends to be early November, exact details on 'type' of written work may only be made available from September (as is the case for us!) if it's not already on the website (and even if it is I would double check the requirements before sending). Requirements/'types' can vary by college in terms of things like length of the piece, number of pieces, typed/hand-written, or if any part needs to have been done under timed conditions, for example, which is why you need to check with the specific college.

I hope that helps!
Peterhouse Admissions
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 1 week ago
(Original post by ladymacbeth182)
Hi - I'm in Year 12, looking to study ASNC at Cambridge, but have noticed that two essays need to be sent as part of the admissions process.
Should these essays be written for the purpose of sending them, so on an ASNC-related topic? Or should they be taken from work done as part of my A-Levels?
Should they be typed or hand-written? Done under exam conditions? Timed?
I would really appreciate some guidance - thank you so much in advance!
Hi there!

This page might be of some help. Briefly, we're looking for work that's been written during the ordinary course of your A Level studies for a subject that you're already studying which has been marked by a teacher and not redrafted. It doesn't need to be related to ASNaC. Something from History or English (if you're studying them) would be ideal, but there are plenty of other options if you're not. A homework or classwork essay is fine. Typed is probably easier to submit, but as long as you have clear handwriting, there's no problem with submitting something that's handwritten.

We ask people not to send us stuff they've written specifically for submission to us, for two reasons. One is that we don't want to ask you to spend any more time on this than is necessary. If we asked you to write something specially, or redraft something you've already written, people might spend hours trying to create the perfect piece of work, to the detriment of their A Levels. We also want to see the kind of feedback/marking you're getting from your school/college to give us some context of how much support you're getting with written work.

Hope this helps!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

Were exams easier or harder than you expected?

Easier (56)
26.42%
As I expected (67)
31.6%
Harder (81)
38.21%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (8)
3.77%

Watched Threads