Volunteering for Psychology

Watch this thread
green_212
Badges: 1
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Hello, does anyone have any summer volunteering ideas for a year 12 student interested in doing Psychology at university? I was thinking of something like a therapist's office/ reception work.
University of Suffolk student
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by green_212)
Hello, does anyone have any summer volunteering ideas for a year 12 student interested in doing Psychology at university? I was thinking of something like a therapist's office/ reception work.
Hey @green_212 !!

I am heavily biased when I say this but choosing Psychology for university is a great choice !! and I hope you find it as enjoyable as I did during my first year !!

The beauty about taking the Psychology route is that you can technically volunteer for any job over the summer. Albeit working in the health sector such as in a local surgery or care home would be most beneficial I wouldn't necessarily say that it's must-do volunteer work. During my first year, I had the same thought process as you with volunteering but after speaking to my professors they mentioned that in the field of Psychology you could find learning experiences in any work environment. So finding any workplace willing to have you in the grand scheme of things would be a great opportunity regardless of its relation to your desired specialty. Just apply for any job over the summer and choose one which you think you would have the most fun in or would expose you to the most people because it's beneficial later down the line to be sociable in order to conduct interviews if you decide to go that route in Psychology.

Best of luck !!!
Derrick
Nerol
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 4 weeks ago
(Original post by green_212)
Hi!

You might be fairly limited due to age and experience restrictions on many voluntary roles in this area, but as mentioned in the comment above - any kind of work experience could be helpful! In particular, something in a helping role could be useful (e.g. befriender for older adults or helping at a youth club). Maybe contact local services to see if you could volunteer for one of them in this kind of role. Being able to form positive helping relationships with different groups of people will be incredibly valuable if you are interested in a Psychology career.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How are you feeling about your SQA results?

They're better than I expected (16)
35.56%
They're what I expected (13)
28.89%
They're worse than what I expected (16)
35.56%

Watched Threads