Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I apologise for the amount of threads I've made on this board during the last week or so.. But anyway..

Would transferring universities between 1st and 2nd year look bad on my application for GEM? I understand dropping out and starting a new course would, but I am slightly unsure about transfers. How are they perceived by admissions?

Is this something I should avoid at all costs? I will be staying within the same degree programme, so I don't see the trouble, but I thought I should double check

ReputationRep:
    If all your results are good regardless of your transfer, I don't think it'd be the end of the world.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think it indicate to the school that you're a flight risk?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Renal)
    Do you think it indicate to the school that you're a flight risk?
    That's what I'm worried about.

To be fair, I can understand it. If I were an admissions tutor, I'd think the same.

ReputationRep:
    I imagine it would depend on your circumstances - if you wanted to be closer to home because a relative was ill (for example) I assume that would be more reasonable than a search for better nightlife! Try emailing a few places and explaining the situation for advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by michaela_banana)
    I imagine it would depend on your circumstances - if you wanted to be closer to home because a relative was ill (for example) I assume that would be more reasonable than a search for better nightlife!
    I would not assume that medical schools are going to care for excuses. Maybe they do, maybe they don't.

ReputationRep:
    I thought I'd elaborate more on my situation.

The reason I am transferring is due to the fact that my girlfriend and I are struggling being so distant. It would also give me a chance to live with her and her relatives, allowing me to save a huge chunk of my maintenance loan which I intended to use as financial support for if I gained entry to GEM. So, in a way, it is preparation for medicine; I just worry that admissions may see it as a failure of some sort and I'd hate to be a person with excuses.

ReputationRep:
    So don't use it as an excuse.

ReputationRep:
    From where to where? I don't see why it would be that big of a deal to be honest as long as you met the requirements when applying.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    From where to where? I don't see why it would be that big of a deal to be honest as long as you met the requirements when applying.
    Kent to Royal Holloway.

ReputationRep:
    Could you try transferring to a university that has a med school? I've heard many Grad Entry med schools treat internal applicants more favourably.

ReputationRep:
    Royal Holloway in merging with St. Georges is it not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sarky)
    Royal Holloway in merging with St. Georges is it not?
    If that the case then I think the OP should go for the transfer! OP, you're studying psychology, right? I think St. Georges have around 100 places and they don't specify a degree and you won't need A' Level Chemistry. Degree class needs to be at least 2:ii. You do have to sit the GAMSAT though.

ReputationRep:
    Not if you transfer to a 'better' university -- it would be silly if it did anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, great.

Thanks for all the advice, guys. Much appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GodspeedGehenna)
    I thought I'd elaborate more on my situation.

The reason I am transferring is due to the fact that my girlfriend and I are struggling being so distant. It would also give me a chance to live with her and her relatives, allowing me to save a huge chunk of my maintenance loan which I intended to use as financial support for if I gained entry to GEM. So, in a way, it is preparation for medicine; I just worry that admissions may see it as a failure of some sort and I'd hate to be a person with excuses.
    You'll probably break up soon. and if you don't your gf will probably end up as a medic 'widow' whilst you work your arse off.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wangers)
    and if you don't your gf will probably end up as a medic 'widow' whilst you work your arse off.
    Actually I'll be far too busy making sure dinner is waiting on the table for him when he gets home :yep:

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Hm, well chosen time to make an entrance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Democracy)
    Hm, well chosen time to make an entrance.
    No, bad D. Get out right now.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.