The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Does Korean with Japanese usually have clearing spaces?

Hi,

After sitting my A level exams in Biology , Chemistry and Maths I realised I didn't want to do science content at uni. I don't have a language A- level so I looked at foundation years like at SOAS and Sheffield. I was wondering if the language foundation years had spaces for clearing usually/ can I do a degree like Modern languages and cultures/ korean studies with Japanese through clearing straight away as the languages would be as a beginner? I'm going to prepare a personal statement over summer before results day for clearing. I just saw modern languages at Sheffield and liked how you could do three languages as a beginner. I was interested in Russian, Japanese and Korean. I'm in a bit of a dilemma because I feel like I realised it too late that I don't actually enjoy learning science content and it was kind of forced. I don't know how popular East Asian studies is and whether it would all be full. Also would the grade requirements be strict through clearing like a cut off? I'm an estranged student so I had a lot of circumstances too.
I’ve seen the sheffield course on clearing before (not sure about soas) so I think you’d have a chance:smile: the grades are usually ABB
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
At Sheffield, European and East Asian languages are taught in different departments. You could do BA Modern Languages and Cultures, which includes Russian, or you could do BA Korean with Japanese, but I don't think you can combine them. You could check that with the uni, though.

Last year BAMLC and some East Asian courses were definitely in clearing. I can't remember which ones and obviously that's no guarantee they will be this year. BA Korean with Japanese doesn't require language A-levels. BAMLC says it typically requires A-level languages but can consider language GCSEs too. If you're interested it's probably worth applying although obviously nobody can guarantee whether you'd get accepted or not.

Quick Reply