The Student Room Group

FSMQ or further maths

I'm in Year 10 and our school has asked us whether we want to do further maths or FSMQ. I'm currently expecting a grade 8/9. Does anyone have any advice about what should I do? (I'm probably going to take further maths and maths along with computer science for a-level)
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 1
I did the FSMQ (OCR). I think it definitely helped the progression to A Level maths, a lot of the topics are the basis of what you learn at a level - just there are less of them and they don't go into as much detail. I enjoyed taking the qualification and found it a lot more interesting and challenging than GCSE maths. I would definitely recommend if you are interested in maths, however, I don't know much about further maths so I'm afraid I won't be able to help you compare the two! Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some more insight into further maths! Best of luck :smile:
Original post by exex!
I did the FSMQ (OCR). I think it definitely helped the progression to A Level maths, a lot of the topics are the basis of what you learn at a level - just there are less of them and they don't go into as much detail. I enjoyed taking the qualification and found it a lot more interesting and challenging than GCSE maths. I would definitely recommend if you are interested in maths, however, I don't know much about further maths so I'm afraid I won't be able to help you compare the two! Hopefully someone else will be able to give you some more insight into further maths! Best of luck :smile:

thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by oceanblue99
I'm in Year 10 and our school has asked us whether we want to do further maths or FSMQ. I'm currently expecting a grade 8/9. Does anyone have any advice about what should I do? (I'm probably going to take further maths and maths along with computer science for a-level)

Im about to do my fsmq exam tmrw and the differences between further maths and FSMQ is that FSMQ is level 3 so it is a bit harder than further maths which is only a level 2 qualification (gcse). fsmq exams are 2hrs long btw. i love FSMQ the topics are really interesting and i would recommend it if you have the time. you dont want to have too much on your plate for when the exam comes up your jeopardising your other grades. Also, some places (sixth forms) omit it as it is a level 3 qualification on your aplication btw.
Original post by oceanblue99

Sorry, I am a bit late but would strongly advise you to take the FSMQ. It is a higher level qualification (level 3 rather than level 2) and instead of going into some types of random maths which are interesting but not entirely useful, they only include topics which are taught at A-Level. This is a real advantage as it makes Year 12 A-Level Maths quite a bit easier (as you will have done quite a lot of the basic content for that year before) especially as you plan to take Further Maths. The good/bad thing about FSMQ is that it is not counted as a GCSE (you cannot put it under GCSEs on a UCAS form) but it does mean that, if you don't do so well on it, you aren't obliged to put it on your form when applying which you are with GCSEs. This does put a little less pressure/stress on you when you first start taking the course as you will struggle for a bit before you get the content down.

Quick Reply

Latest