The Student Room Group

Hearing weird things when you wake up

I woke up at some point in the morning or night I'm not sure and I heard someone sounding upset and they said stop just stop. I was confused and was like who said that? What's going on? It wasn't my sister cause she was on a nightshift, it wasn't dad and it didn't sound like mum. It sounded like me saying it but I didn't say anything. When I was more awake later on I realised I said basically what I said in a flashback I had in November where I was being help down and said stop stop. It was really weird and I don't know why that happened. I know you can hear things when you wake up but why did I hear that?
Sometimes something similar happenes to me. I tend to talk in my sleep and it wakes me up sometimes when I’m loud. Then I hear myself while waking up because I’m in the middle of talking. So my theory is either maybe you were talking while asleep, recalling your memory. Or you were still in the dream state thinking about that situation and so you heard it

Original post by tigerkat
I woke up at some point in the morning or night I'm not sure and I heard someone sounding upset and they said stop just stop. I was confused and was like who said that? What's going on? It wasn't my sister cause she was on a nightshift, it wasn't dad and it didn't sound like mum. It sounded like me saying it but I didn't say anything. When I was more awake later on I realised I said basically what I said in a flashback I had in November where I was being help down and said stop stop. It was really weird and I don't know why that happened. I know you can hear things when you wake up but why did I hear that?
Reply 2

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You were still half asleep and getting used to your surroundings. You were probably mumbling stuff about the memory. However, if whatever happened in November was quite traumatic, you might be having nightmares about it which your fully conscious mind is suppressing.
Reply 3
Original post by Katrysya2004
Sometimes something similar happenes to me. I tend to talk in my sleep and it wakes me up sometimes when I’m loud. Then I hear myself while waking up because I’m in the middle of talking. So my theory is either maybe you were talking while asleep, recalling your memory. Or you were still in the dream state thinking about that situation and so you heard it

I wasn't talking in my sleep. I woke up layed there for a couple of seconds then heard it. I'm thinking it was possibly a flashback, I just didn't think originally you could get flashbacks when you wake up but I think you can.
It sounds like the memory from November is haunting you. I think it would help you a lot if you talked to someone about it :redface:
Hypnopompic hallucinations. :wizard:
Reply 6
Original post by rosy_posy
It sounds like the memory from November is haunting you. I think it would help you a lot if you talked to someone about it :redface:

I had a flashback in November of abuse I don't remember I wouldn't call it a memory since I have no memory of it. I've had counselling before and mentioned the November flashback then but she only said in her experience flashbacks are real.
(edited 1 year ago)
I had a flashback in November of abuse I don't remember I wouldn't call it a memory since I have no memory of it. I've had counselling before and mentioned the November flashback then but she only said in her experience flashbacks are real.

It could have been a traumatic experience from when you were younger that you don't consciously remember.

Quick Reply

Latest