Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

beat the credit crunch - motorbikes Watch

ReputationRep:
    Its been in the news all the time. The two words that i hate hearing so much 'credit crunch' and being at the bottom of the earners pile, times can be hard for students.

I never had my parents paying for driving lessons or a car or petrol so i have to run my own transport by scrimping and saving

get a 125cc motorbike or a scooter.

All that is required is a 1 CBT test which costs about 110 pound and pretty much anyone can pass it without any lessons. Then you can drive on L plates

Petrol efficiency - 80mpg at least, on a scooter even more

there arent many parking spaces at my college but theres always about 30 scooters down the bike sheds and they are cheap to run and brilliant for getting from a - b. plus you never get rung at 3 in the morning asking for a lift

if anyone has a bike then i encourage you to post here so we can share views

thank you

ReputationRep:
    I had a moped before my car, but it got nicked :mad:

I have been considering getting a motorbike for next year though.. Hmm..

*ponders*

ReputationRep:
    i want to get a scooter but my mother hates it because its dangerous. T_T

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lolicon)
    i want to get a scooter but my mother hates it because its dangerous. T_T
    my mum did as well but if u have a few lessons with a qualified instructor im sure she'll get use to the idea... maybe, i dont know ure mum

ReputationRep:
    what about the cost of scooters or motors?

ReputationRep:
    cheaper than cars? new and secondhand.

im getting a bike next year anyway. damn age 21 restriction

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    im getting a bike next year anyway. damn age 21 restriction
    wait, what? i'm 18 can't i get a bike?

ReputationRep:
    wait, what? i'm 18 can't i get a bike?
    "Motorcycles up to 25kW(33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg"

http://www.desktoplawyer.co.uk/dt/br...5968&aid=34592

ReputationRep:
    thanks, i don't mind if i get a 125cc. i bet dh0001 wants a 750cc.:p:

ReputationRep:
    This has been a known fact for a while... bike sales soared in the USA over the summer as people realised you can still have a fast bike but the fuel efficiency is so much better as you don't stop - start in traffic. I can fill up 2x 600cc and 1x 1200cc for the price of a tank of fuel for my car.

thanks, i don't mind if i get a 125cc. i bet dh0001 wants a 750cc.:p:
    close, i want a 600 :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dh00001)
    close, i want a 600 :p:
    Likewise :yep:

ReputationRep:
    cheaper than cars? new and secondhand.
    I got a brand new Yamaha YBR125 for £1799.... 2nd hand would be dirt cheap

My bf's 2002 Honda CB250 was £1600 last year.

ReputationRep:
    I'm a biker too, but i wouldnt suggest anyone gets a new bike into the winter if they've never ridden... much more chance of an accident;

on the other hand i've (just) got a 8 year old bike, 4000 miles and less than £2000, and its cost me £500 to insure it, plus petrols cheaper... so they are cheaper in most ways

ReputationRep:
    Oh yeah I am just silly and wanted a new bike. 2nd hand is much better value for money!!

ReputationRep:
    well mines as good as... so i'm happy, even if they did *try* to charge me £1152 on top of my original policy to insure it

ReputationRep:
    Worked this out a while back. To recoup the cost of doing my CBT, buying and insuring a CHEAP bike, buying helmet, jacket, gloves etc, and putting petrol in the thing was going to take me 14,000 miles if I took the bike instead of my car. Ive had my car 2.5 years and have only done about 20,000 miles. I wouldnt want to drive the bike at the moment, screw getting wet and being so at risk of accidents, either your fault or the fault of whoever causes you to crash, you cant control the latter. So, I would have to do about 75% of my journies by bike in the next 2.5 years for it to be viable. Thats a tall order.

Yes it might well work if you dont already have a car. But its not as cut and dry as you lot make it out to be.

ReputationRep:
    The whole "credit crunch" media hype is ********.

Petrol is at a lower price than it has been in months.
    Cars are getting cheaper.

Sod it. Look for something with a big donk under the bonnet. I'm looking at V12 jags at the moment!

5.3 / 6.0 litres? Yes please!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The whole "credit crunch" media hype is ********.

Petrol is at a lower price than it has been in months.
    Cars are getting cheaper.

Sod it. Look for something with a big donk under the bonnet. I'm looking at V12 jags at the moment!

5.3 / 6.0 litres? Yes please!
    I went through £100 of diesel in Wales over the last two days. That was fun

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 21, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.