Turn on thread page Beta

beat the credit crunch - motorbikes watch

ReputationRep:
    I am going to do my bike test soon, to full unrestricted license.

But it is £770 to do lessons and all the tests, and then you have to add on helmets and gear. And then add on insurance and finally the cost of the bike. It is going to cost thousands...that is a lot of driving!

Going to try and get myself a Bandit 600. Should do the job nicely!

ReputationRep:
    If your buying second hand check the front forks... bandit forks dont like winter weather.

And that seems excessive, given my brothers been quoted 590£ for a weeks intensive including bike hire.

Your gear can be got for less than £200.

For insurance try express, as they charged my bf £1000 for a brand new 600cc bike, fully comp, where as everywhere else were £2000 odd

ReputationRep:
    i'm new to this. how much do you guys spend on petrol??

ReputationRep:
    last bike 14£ did 260km, on this bike i think it'll be £15 for 150... but i've only just got the tank full so need to find out

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    If your buying second hand check the front forks... bandit forks dont like winter weather.

And that seems excessive, given my brothers been quoted 590£ for a weeks intensive including bike hire.

Your gear can be got for less than £200.

For insurance try express, as they charged my bf £1000 for a brand new 600cc bike, fully comp, where as everywhere else were £2000 odd
    Thanks!

£1000 insurance :eek: I am used to paying £400 on a car, surely it will be less than that on a bike!?!

I will look for cheaper alternatives with training, thanks for the heads up on the Bandit as well. My best mate has a Bandit 400 and literally we changed the fork seals on Saturday :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gbduo)
    Thanks!

£1000 insurance :eek: I am used to paying £400 on a car, surely it will be less than that on a bike!?!

I will look for cheaper alternatives with training, thanks for the heads up on the Bandit as well. My best mate has a Bandit 400 and literally we changed the fork seals on Saturday :p:
    I just got rid of my 400cc bandit, their amazing bikes, great fun and nippy, but i have spent the last 2 years taking it to pieces to fix it continously, fork seals, chain and sprocket, engine serviced, wheel bearing gone now, the spark plugs have been murder, but i can take it to pieces in minutes and put it back together with no problems

As i said bf's bike was a 2008 brand new out the show room, and hes 20 and just got off the restriction and fully comp..

My bandit was 340 to insure with 2 years no claims fully comp.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bathwiggle)
    I just got rid of my 400cc bandit, their amazing bikes, great fun and nippy, but i have spent the last 2 years taking it to pieces to fix it continously, fork seals, chain and sprocket, engine serviced, wheel bearing gone now, the spark plugs have been murder, but i can take it to pieces in minutes and put it back together with no problems

As i said bf's bike was a 2008 brand new out the show room, and hes 20 and just got off the restriction and fully comp..

My bandit was 340 to insure with 2 years no claims fully comp.
    Lol, I am a Engineer so I would enjoy taking a bike apart and putting it back together! My mate also has a KTM620, that is good fun...never works! lol!

I definately need to get my bike license before the rules change in March...

ReputationRep:
    So's bf... but i found it wasn't so fun when at uni, with no dry garage, and you needed to do something in the rain as it wasnt working.

But yeah definatly get it done before march

ReputationRep:
    Yeh fair enough, I have huge workshops here so all good

ReputationRep:
    my parents wouldn't buy me a house with a garage, as apparently 'you're not meant to be spoilt at uni, so they just got me a flat..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    The whole "credit crunch" media hype is ********.

Petrol is at a lower price than it has been in months.
    Cars are getting cheaper.

Sod it. Look for something with a big donk under the bonnet. I'm looking at V12 jags at the moment!

5.3 / 6.0 litres? Yes please!
    The credit crunch has nothing to do with the price of petrol, or the cost of cars. Both are a result of the "credit crunch". People have no money, so buy less, so prices of goods and basic commondities come down. Commodities, such as petrol, are affected most because much of the price is speculation, so the prices rises in a self fulfilling spiral. When the bottom falls out the market then the price tumbles back down to its true price, maybe about 50-60$/barrel. Which is where it is at the minuet funnily enough, and where it was quite stably about 5 years ago.

If you've got cash in the bank then now is a great time to spend, but people who take a loan to afford a car will be fubared.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    The credit crunch has nothing to do with the price of petrol, or the cost of cars.

(Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Both are a result of the "credit crunch".
    Who were you calling retarded, sorry?

ReputationRep:
    Your confused between inflation and the credit crunch. Yes there is a credit crunch, no its not media hype, and you cant say its a load of ******** just because the car prices and oil prices are lower. The fact the prices are lower is proof of the credit crunch, because nobody can afford them, for the last few years inflation and speculation has ruled the market, rather than "real" values. Now we are seeing a return to those real values once the facts are looked at and speculation is removed. The credit crunch was caused by the sub-prime mortgauge market, bugger all to do with the cost of oil/metal/plastic (and therefor cars).

ReputationRep:
    If you say so...

I have more money at the moment than I've had in years. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.

Now is a great time to buy a car as morons who believe this garbage have put down their prices.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    If you say so...

I have more money at the moment than I've had in years. Don't believe everything you read in the papers.
    Well done, I dont nessisarily believe everything I read in the papers, im a Management student! I read all sorts of financial magazines and articles, so while YOU may have more money than you've had in years, insitutuions, housebuyers, governments etc have less acess to cash.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Well done, I dont nessisarily believe everything I read in the papers, im a Management student! I read all sorts of financial magazines and articles, so while YOU may have more money than you've had in years, insitutuions, housebuyers, governments etc have less acess to cash.
    Scare-mongering. Nothing more.
    Still, if you buy into all this propegander ********, then that's your look-out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Scare-mongering. Nothing more.
    Still, if you buy into all this propegander ********, then that's your look-out.
    Not according to the IMF, The City and BoE statistics. But yeh, I'll believe Jon over these financial organisations.

The country is going to be pretty ****** in a years time, the IMF recently said that the UK was going to be worse hit by the global recession because of the amount of debt the country is in, the lack of gold reserves and the huge decline in investors in GBP combined with the distinct lack of industry make tough times ahead for the UK.

I agree that it is getting way too much media coverage, but to call the coverage propaganda is a bit of an exaggeration!

Unemployment in the UK has risen, there are less jobs, the housing market has collapsed. I would say that is a sign of economic slowdown.

ReputationRep:
    These same people recconed petrol would be over £1.50 by the end of the year.
    95p a litre here and falling... still, there's 41 days of 2008 to go...
    Whilst we are on the subject of institutionalised ********, didn't so called "government experts" say there were weapons of mass distruction in iraq?

Believe what you like, grasshopper. Although, do give my regards to santa claus and the tooth fairy when you next see them.

ReputationRep:
    Non of the above are government organisations, and no, non of them said petrol was going to be £1.50 a litre. The people who said petrol was going to be £1.50/l were the traders, oil dealers, and stockbrokers who wanted (or needed) oil to be that high to make profit. Stocks were bought on the belief that in X ammount of time they would be worth Y% more. As soon as people stop believing that they will be worth Y% more then we remove all the speculation from the market and the price returns to a real level, as we are seeing at the moment. The reason people dont believe it will be £1.50 a litre any more is that people who would have bought it at that price cant get the finance together due to the credit crunch.

Please mate, dont argue with me on this, you will only lose.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Non of the above are government organisations, and no, non of them said petrol was going to be £1.50 a litre. The people who said petrol was going to be £1.50/l were the traders, oil dealers, and stockbrokers who wanted (or needed) oil to be that high to make profit. Stocks were bought on the belief that in X ammount of time they would be worth Y% more. As soon as people stop believing that they will be worth Y% more then we remove all the speculation from the market and the price returns to a real level, as we are seeing at the moment. The reason people dont believe it will be £1.50 a litre any more is that people who would have bought it at that price cant get the finance together due to the credit crunch.

Please mate, dont argue with me on this, you will only lose.
    All based on the simple theory of demand and supply.

China had all the demand due to boom in industry powered by the West --> world in recession --> consumers and business not buying from China anymore --> Industry in China slower --> oil consumption down --> Less demand, same supply --> Price tumbles --> OPEC reduce Supply --> Price stabilises/goes up slightly --> Demand reduces --> Price falls --> Supply falls --> Price stabilises, etc.

Jon seriously, don't try and deny there is a Global Recession!

The IMF is a UN organisation and as such is not government, the BoE is independent of the government and the City is DEFINATELY independent of the government. So not sure what you are harping on about.

If anything, the government has done nothing to aid the recession except the token gesture to the banks, which didn't work.

The only government agency is the Treasury (funnily enough!) which has done bugger all except acquire a few banks.

Poll
Is the Big Bang theory correct?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.