Turn on thread page Beta

beat the credit crunch - motorbikes watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cj-Tj)
    Please mate, dont argue with me on this, you will only lose.
    Uhhuh.... see, the thing about this sort of thing, is there is no tangible evidence.

We will see who is right in time. I Personally have more money than I have ever had and when I buy goods I cite the "credit crunch" and people quickly knock money off their prices.
    I think it's amazing that there are idiots that believe this rubbish.

Still, as I said, buy into the hype and propegander all you like. However, people in the real world can see past the b/s.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    Uhhuh.... see, the thing about this sort of thing, is there is no tangible evidence.

We will see who is right in time. I Personally have more money than I have ever had and when I buy goods I cite the "credit crunch" and people quickly knock money off their prices.
    I think it's amazing that there are idiots that believe this rubbish.

Still, as I said, buy into the hype and propegander all you like. However, people in the real world can see past the b/s.
    You are an obnoxious **** arnt you?

No evidence? Let me see; interbank lending is at a 15 year lows, interbank landing rates are at a 15 year high. Sterling is worth bugger all against any other currency. Jobs are being shed in the manufacturing and finance sectors faster than you can count. House prices have dropped by 15% in the past 18 months and are expected to drop by another 15-20% in 2009.

These are all MEASURABLE, QUANTIFIABLE things, written, understood, and acted upon by people many many times more clever than you. How can you call me an idiot, yet talk such ******** about stuff you dont understand.

Funny enough, I have more money than ever before as well. Am I the general economy? No, there are reasons why my fiances are good, and ive worked for them. Does it mean I think anyone who has lost their job before christmas, or has had to take a huge paycut to keep their job, is talking ********? No course not.

Get back under the hood of your car. At least there people might believe what your talking about.

ReputationRep:
    LOL! What a wally.
    When you have to resort to swear words it means you're losing the argument.

I'm sorry, but the average man on the street just simply isn't affected by any of this media hype and government nonsensical propegander.

I also love how I am an "obnoxious ****" purely because I have a differing point of view to yours.

It's not my fault you are a gulliable fool.

Like I said, time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
    4 years ago, I and a small minority of people said MG/Rover would probably go under. I was shouted down then by similar so called "experts" with similar mickey mouse degrees.
    I see they are still thriving in longbridge... oh...wait...

Seriously, believe what you like in your fantasy world along with the other idiots that buy into this nonsense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    LOL! What a wally.
    When you have to resort to swear words it means you're losing the argument.

I'm sorry, but the average man on the street just simply isn't affected by any of this media hype and government nonsensical propegander.

I also love how I am an "obnoxious ****" purely because I have a differing point of view to yours.

It's not my fault you are a gulliable fool.

Like I said, time will tell who is right and who is wrong.
    4 years ago, I and a small minority of people said MG/Rover would probably go under. I was shouted down then by similar so called "experts" with similar mickey mouse degrees.
    I see they are still thriving in longbridge... oh...wait...

Seriously, believe what you like in your fantasy world along with the other idiots that buy into this nonsense.

I'm confused by this, why is it in the Governments interest to suggest that there is a recession and negative growth? It is the governments job to keep the country in growth, if they say there is a credit crunch then that is an epic failure of government. I somehow doubt that the government would release 'propaganda' to this effect.

I think everyone knew MG Rover would go under, it was blatantly obvious, there line up was old, dated and no match to the German, Japanese and French competition.

I would hardly call a degree in Economics a mickey mouse degree, it is respected everywhere. Do you have a degree Jon?

We will see who is right, but I can tell you now, it won't be you. There is a recession, it has been coming for years, since about 2006, it has just taken this long to hit home. This is only the beginning, it is going to get much worse.

For example, Woolworths, a huge high street chain has got huge problems and is up as a growing concern for ONE POUND! This shows two things, first and most important, people are not spending on the high street and secondly, banks are not willing to support through loans a huge high street bank and rather it went under. That is a clear sign of a lack of money in the economy as a whole.

Whenever you generalise there will be exceptions to the rule, and as a rule students and young people always fare a recession better than our parents or older people due to less dependencies, but even so, this is not to say that it is not affected other people more than you.

Just look at the comments sections of The Times atm, it is full of woe stories from the public.

ReputationRep:
    Not sure why you feel the need to convince me?

I KNOW it's all b/s. I've been independant from parents for 2 years now. I'm running a household and 3 cars. Yet, I still have spending money?

This so called "recession" isn't affecting me. Well... it is... the world is full of ********s who are dropping their prices left right and centre based on the ******** the papers churn out. This is great as it means that my money goes further than it ever did before.

With regards to woolworths, they've been in trouble for years and years. With the exception of pick n mix what do they sell that you can't get anywhere else for less money?

It's all hype and that's that.

ReputationRep:
    I feel the need to swear because im frustrated at you being so close-minded and arrogent. Its not attractive, or anywhere close to correct.

Average man is affected.... 2 years ago estate agents could turn over 40 houses a month. August/September they managed 2 a month. This says that "man on the street" isnt buying any houses, because he cant get money due to the credit crunch. Thie means that builders dont build as many houses and people get laid off, they spend less in the high street shops, so the shops struggle, then they lay off people and things go downhill from there. Its a self fulfilling propecy.

What degree do you have - what job do you do? Has it got anything to do with understanding economics Jon? Mine does, so get your head out the sand and see what everyone else can see.

The recession might not be affecting YOU, but despite the fact you dont care about them, there are more people in the world than just you, some of whome may well have lost their jobs in the last 6 months. :rolleyes:

Look here;

Data provided by the Nationwide group suggests that house prices have dropped by £30,000 in 12 months! (Source; Nationwide group)

Uk Unemployment stats;

Unemployment has risen by 0.5% to September from the previous September. The figure of unemployed people is expected to reach 2million by Christmas (source; ONS)

How much more EVIDENCE do you want that it is affecting people outside your little bubble?

ReputationRep:
    I'm sorry but this is all total ********.

There have always been unemployed. There always will be. There is also a greater number of people emigrating into this country than ever before and yet only a finite amount of jobs.

As far as house prices go?
    If I have £100k in the bank and house prices come down £30k then my £100k will now buy a £130k house. My money is therefore worth more that it was.

Anyway, like I said, you scare mongers can wring your hands all you like. Those of us in the real world are having it large.

ReputationRep:
    No no Jon, yes there will always be unemployed but the numbers of unemployed has gone up, that is what is important! Surely you can put 2 and 2 together and make 4 to see why the number of people out of work is critically important and good indicator to the state of the economy!?

As for your 100k thing, that is true, but a) not many people have 100k cash in the bank and b) not many people are selling their houses right now as they cannot get a mortgage because they don't have 100k cash in the bank or ii) the banks are unwilling to lend.

So unless you found a empty property with no chain and could keep your current house (because no one can buy that of you because they don't have b) or ii) ) then the housing market becomes stagnant, which it has.

Simple stuff.

YOU may be having it large, by YOUR standards. But many others, are not.

ReputationRep:
    It's a fact of life some have hard times and others are better off.

As far as unemployment goes, as I said, more people moving into the country all competing for a finite amount of jobs.

Seriously, this is getting boring. You're not going to convince me. I believe passionately that this whole concept is total ********. In time, I will be proven to be correct. You can disagree with me all you like, but time will tell...

ReputationRep:
    Ok, your wrong, basically every financial institutions full of people better off than you hanging their jobs on the line disagree with you.

Why on earth would you artificially create a credit crunch is beyond me.

I never did think you were ignorant and stupid Jon, but seriously mate!

But whatever, your wrong. And you won't be proven correct, the UK has a boom/bust economy, we are in a bust.

In fact here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boom_and_bust

Gives you a quick insight into basic economics, not that I think you will be remotely interested but we can only try.

I also think immigration is weak argument for explaining the rise in unemployment.

ReputationRep:
    I think its a bit naive to say its all ********.

Yes, it may not be affecting you yet. But that doesn't mean its not happening.

I'm sure that a few weeks ago the 3000 RBS, 2000 Rolls Royce, 600 Jaguar Land Rover and countless others were all pretty confident they were in a good position, with safe jobs in good companies. How wrong they now are...

Out of interest, what Industry do you work in? There really can't be many left which aren't feeling at least some effects.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JC.)
    As far as unemployment goes, as I said, more people moving into the country all competing for a finite amount of jobs.
    Do you not think there are people clever enough in the ONS who can take account of people entering the country? In fact, immigration has fallen by a very large percentage in the last 2 years, and alot of people are actually going back home, therefore taking themselves out of the labour market.

Ive presented facts and graphs produced by people, who, if anything have agendas to be talking UP the price of houses (they do mortgauges!!) not talking them down. And another set of figures by an independent body whos job is to tell the truth. If you wont believe them, fine. Be ignorant.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure why you've made it your mission in life to indoctrinate me into your little world of imaginary problems.

I think it's nonsense and that's that.

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year
Poll
Do you want your parents to be with you when you collect your A-level results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.