Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Those people in council houses with their 40" plasma tvs... watch

ReputationRep:
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/new...cle5120047.ece

Finally, something which I commend the Labour government for proposing.

I get infuriated when people (there was a BBC report last week, about the credit crunch with one single mother moaning about not being able to afford food prices or something. In the background was a massive plasma TV and vast array of other expensive items :rolleyes:) who live in council estates and have more expensive electrics like TV's, a laptop and games console and TV for each child etc. than someone living within their means and not supported by the state.

Now, hopefully they will have to pay full rent if they can afford it. About bloody time I say.

ReputationRep:
    Oh tell me about it. It really gets on my nerves when my parents have to work hard for our TV and the Sky+ in my room etc, and other people just get it all for free. It really riles me. OK rant over.

ReputationRep:
    But honestly, if it wasn't for an influx of foreigners we'd have enough social housing to go round. I challenge anyone to contradict me.

ReputationRep:
    i agree, you also often find those people driving around in brand new cars. another thing that annoys me is the way some people just sponge off the government for money, saying there is something wrong with them when there isnt really anything wrong with them, they are just too lazy to go out and get a job!

ReputationRep:
    Thing is my parents have worked hard for 30 years, and now they cant afford the mortgage because of various family and personal reasons. We will have to move in a council house cos we cant afford the mortgage. Consequentially instead of paying 900 pound a month mortgage we'll be paying about 300 and so will have more money to buy stuff. I couldnt care less if people look down on us cos they probably have never even had any hardship whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    Because they buy on credit.....and not every council house family have expensive electricals. It's an unfair generalisation.

ReputationRep:
    It makes total sense. Why would we subsidise anyone who could pay their own way? At the very least they should be renting at the same price levels as people in the local area who aren't council housed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danpayne118)
    Thing is my parents have worked hard for 30 years, and now they cant afford the mortgage because of various family and personal reasons. We will have to move in a council house cos we cant afford the mortgage. Consequentially instead of paying 900 pound a month mortgage we'll be paying about 300 and so will have more money to buy stuff. I couldnt care less if people look down on us cos they probably have never even had any hardship whatsoever
    Your parents aren't the sort of people being targeted. It's those people who have lived all their lives in council estates, fobbing off work with various excuses, and living well beyond their means that are being targeted.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    But honestly, if it wasn't for an influx of foreigners we'd have enough social housing to go round. I challenge anyone to contradict me.
    Challenge accepted. I contradict you.

If we didn't have such an over-inflated welfare system there wouldn't be as many of them pesky foreigners.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aack)
    Because they buy on credit.....and not every council house family have expensive electricals. It's an unfair generalisation.
    Err... Did I say "every" anywhere?

I have a member of my family who lives on a council estate, who I'm embarrassed by. She's exactly this sort of person, and despite all the promises me and various other members of my family have made to help her financially if she sorts out her spending, she doesn't bother, and continues to buy more than what someone with a 40k salary and living in their own house would buy.

I'd say about 90% of her neighbours have plasma TVs, and spend well over £300 at Christmas on each child, and the same again on birthdays.

And yes, they do buy everything on credit, what point are you making?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yusufu)
    Challenge accepted. I contradict you.
    How can you? The logic is simple. Extra people (1 million Poles, for example) living in what could be considered social housing which quite clearly a British-born person should live in, if they have lived here the majority of their lives, means less housing.

Surely?

ReputationRep:
    These people most probably don't have the money for these plasma TVs, and have instead bought it on credit and have a lot of debt. Why do you think all of the 'consolidate all of you loans!' ads are on TV during the day?

My family are on benefits, we don't live in a council house though, and we aren't in any debt - we only buy things we can afford. Unfortunately, a lot of people aren't like this. And no, we don't have a plasma TV, just a silly little square thing.

There are people abusing the system who aren't in debt and actually have the money to buy these things, and it is unfair that they have this housing, so hopefully this new system will stop that.

(Original post by danpayne118)
    In all frankness if you have surplus "money to buy stuff" then you should not be allocated a council house with an artificially low mortgage. People in council housing should have enough money left over at the end of the month for necessities and little else. If the mortgage has to be further artificially altered to cause that then so be it.

ReputationRep:
    you know, thats probably true

youll probably get called 'racist' for saying that at some point though

I seem to remember reading a short while ago that employment rates for immigrants were about on par if not a little higher than for English-born people. Couldn't cite a source, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Indievertigo)
    Err... Did I say "every" anywhere?

I have a member of my family who lives on a council estate, who I'm embarrassed by. She's exactly this sort of person, and despite all the promises me and various other members of my family have made to help her financially if she sorts out her spending, she doesn't bother, and continues to buy more than what someone with a 40k salary and living in their own house would buy.

I'd say about 90% of her neighbours have plasma TVs, and spend well over £300 at Christmas on each child, and the same again on birthdays.

And yes, they do buy everything on credit, what point are you making?
    My uncle has ALWAYS had the biggest TV you can get with a full sky subscription. His drink never runs dry and of course he needs to smoke 40 **** a day. It's some shameful ****.

ReputationRep:
    What about families who have kids in full time education and a job so they can pay for their own TV, car, Xbox etc.?

ReputationRep:
    How can you? The logic is simple. Extra people (1 million Poles, for example) living in what could be considered social housing which quite clearly a British-born person should live in, if they have lived here the majority of their lives, means less housing.

Surely?
    Do you read the Daily Mail? :rofl: Heh that's low, I know.

I know what you're saying though. I think they have to have worked here for 4 years before they can get council housing though?

I'm all for tightening up our immigration laws as well, our rules are the most liberal in Europe I believe.

(Original post by numb3rb0y)
    I seem to remember reading a short while ago that employment rates for immigrants were about on par if not a little higher than for English-born people. Couldn't cite a source, though.

There is the problem though, employment rates for immigrants should be 100% IMO. Obviously barring refugees.

(Original post by hobo06)
    What about families who have kids in full time education and a job so they can pay for their own TV, car, Xbox etc.?
    And living in Council housing?

ReputationRep:
    You get them free when you sign on.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.