Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Those people in council houses with their 40" plasma tvs... Watch

• Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    It reminds me of how (in the North) families spend loads of money they haven't got on making their daughters look nice. Girls in my year at school would be living in council houses yet being bought designer bags and clothes and having laser hair removal and teeth whitening.
    is this a Northern thing? why?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by arisk01)
    is this a Northern thing? why?
    I don't know if it's just in the North...
    I know in Liverpool though certainly that most working class girls pay a lot of attention to their appearance and "live for the weekend", spending all their money on designer clothes, planning outfits for friday night on monday. People always comment that in Liverpool the girls always look too glamourous and overdressed, but it's the culture. Hence parents think that by making their daughters look nice they'll be considered socially more successful?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Yuffie)
    I don't know if it's just in the North...
    I know in Liverpool though certainly that most working class girls pay a lot of attention to their appearance and "live for the weekend", spending all their money on designer clothes, planning outfits for friday night on monday. People always comment that in Liverpool the girls always look too glamourous and overdressed, but it's the culture. Hence parents think that by making their daughters look nice they'll be considered socially more successful?
    that makes sense :p: social acceptability gets you far in life, maybe they're trying to get them duffed up so the bloke has to support them

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jaydoh)
    But honestly, if it wasn't for an influx of foreigners we'd have enough social housing to go round. I challenge anyone to contradict me.
    That has been a massive issue, and foreigners have put huge strain on the system, but probably the main reason there isn't enough social housing to go around is Thatcher's 'right to buy' scheme, which meant los of tenants bought their properties, did them up and sold them on to absentee landlords, who rented them out to randomers, which broke down the previous tight community of council estates and led to massive hikes in crime and antisocial behaviour (along with economic restructuring, meaning many of the blue collar manual jobs people on the estates worked in no longer existed).

You need to look in a more economic/social context than just blaming the immigrants - there are lots of factors involved.

I'd recommend people read 'Dark Heart - the shocking truth about hidden Britain' by Nick Davies. It's a little sensationalist as it's written by a journalist, but it really paints a vivid picture of how bad life on the estates can be (or at least how it was in the mid 90s).

40" - minor still.

ReputationRep:
    i have 3 HDTV's. 40", 26" and 19" respectively. 3 bedrooms and 2 PC's. And 3 fridges. 5 people. COuncil flat.

ReputationRep:
    i sort of agree. I mean they amount of money my parents pay in taxes is huge. Then there is the council estate en route to my school and there are 2 houses in particular. One has an 08 Merc C Class..the other has a Audi A8 2008...i for one would have a house in a better location over a nice car any day.

Im not nocking the people who live in council houses. I know many that do and they have the right to be on benefits in their circumstances. Its actually a lot of people living in nice areas in semis and detatched houses. Its very simple for someone to claim benefits and live in a 5 bedroom house. ive seen countless examples. One of the worst is Taxi drivers. One guy lives on my street, drives a taxi full time but owns a BMW along with a brand new Golf GTi...and hes on benefits =S. The best case is, another guy who lives around the street from the corner. Never seen him leave the home. News floated around he was on disability benefits but just had a 50k extension

ReputationRep:
    Are those houses definitely still owned by the council though? On many estates, most of the houses have been bought up privately and can end up becoming quite valuable!

ReputationRep:
    Why is a plasma tv a good thing?
    They're **** and cheap, LCD is the best...

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Annie72)
    I live in a council house and everything we have was paid for by sheer hard work. We have a 32in normal tv, my PC is second hand and so are the kids playstation and N64. Also my husband drives around in an old beat up astra thats on its last legs. We are struggling beyond anything we have ever experienced, infact we may even lose our home...hopefully not. It also annoys me when there are certain individuals who appear to get everything for jack all. My husband works 48 hours a week to support us, sometimes I dont know why he bothers as it seems we would be better off with him out of work!

Grrrr:mad:

I really hate to say this, but if you're that hard up that you're going to lose your home, why not cut your internet access and TSR subscription?

Anything is worth it if it stops you being homeless I would have thought.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by starz10)
    the thing that really gets on my nerves is the fact that because my parents earn enough to keep us going that i have to pay the whole loan off when i go to uni whereas people who have everything given to them on a plate are being thrown money for them to go to uni. like an advert i just saw on TV stating 2 thirds of students are entitled to a non repayable grant. I'M NOT!!
    looking at statistics as well about how much debt students get in it averages out to be £7k...how comes mine will be over £28k??
    also EMA!!! what's that all about?? £30 a week for school stuff?? it's really not that expensive! i know someone who gets this money just because she lives with her mum who doesnt work but is able to and her dad lives away but happens to be rich and puts £500 in her account every month!! why is she getting £30??? oh and what really gets me is that she's saving her ema for a holiday to china! is that a need?? does she need to go there? NO!

So what do you suggest, we close the door to uni access for kids whose parents don't work/earn enough to support them? Not everyone is like the person you know, some people genuinely need the help in order to get them through higher education. It's just that some people give the others a bad name.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elipsis)
    It's not just luck, i've worked hard and the idea that I should have my wealth given to those who had identical opportunities
    totally agree

my mam and dad both grew up on council estates. My mam left school with the equvilent of GCSE and nothing else she now works in the police control room earning around 30k. My dad left school with even less qualification than my mam and now owns his own buisness and is MD of another company.

My step dads parents came from Hong Kong and lived out the back of restuarants in order to earn enough for a down payment on their own takeaway.

I have alot of family that arived in this country with nothing and through pure hard work and determination have built up their own lives to the point buying 6k diamond rings is like going out a buying a CD to most people. They have never sponged off the state yet people born here make it out that it is their right to be supported instead of getting off their backside and helping themselves.

If you truely cant find job then the person should be forced to do voluntary work for the same amount of hours as a full time job in order to get their benefits.

I am not applying this to disabled people who truely need help only the lazy back and fronts that dont go out everyday looking for a job.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on. Just because you can afford sky plus and a nice TV doesn't mean you can afford a mortgage. My parents earn about £30k a year together, and we used to live in council housing. Last year we bought our own land and are building a house on it. But when we lived in council housing - in a nice area, not full of drunken chavs and burnt out cars - we had Sky, plasma TV, a nice car. Neither had a drinking problem. Both worked hard and neither has ever been on the jam roll. It's desperatly unfair to judge someone because they can't afford a mortgage but want a few luxuries. Our rent was £430 a month in that council house.

ReputationRep:
    I find this thread amusing. You can get a fairly good 40" HD TV for under £500 these days, considering you might get 10 years out of a good TV if you're not well off then you're looking at less than £1 a week. That's hardly going to pay the extra rent on a better home. TVs in other rooms tend to be older CRT type TVs that either used to be in the living room or bought cheap in shops. The price of those things are really low these days.

The fact is you can't control what people spend their money on. Some people may buy cheap food and save up for TVs while others may spend more on food, clothes, travel etc. and can't afford expensive TVs and such. Unless you assess each family individually and get a yearly breakdown of what they intend to spend on necessities you're not going to be able to accurately judge how much they can spend on rent. Doing that would cost more than it's worth. I'm surprised you don't see this kind of situation at uni. The ones complaining about having no money to go out with you are usually those who eat out 3-4 times a week and shop at places like Subway and Starbucks. Some people spend their money in different ways. And I definitely don't believe people should live a miserable life just because they can't afford the rent on a privately owned property.

ReputationRep:
    Those students on Internet forums moaning as if they actually pay taxes...

ReputationRep:
    From a brief look at the article, the legislation makes total sense.

However, while it annoys me that some 'poor' people drive brand new cars, own massive TVs, etc, it does make some sense - it is easier to raise a little cash for a TV than it is to raise a LOAD of cash for higher rents or even their own house. Some people are just rubbish at saving, or would rather immediate gratification over a long term investment.

I don't think this is right, but it helps to explain why this situation arises.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by g_star_raw_1989)
    40" - minor still.
    and what type of house do you live in?

ReputationRep:
    None of this would be a problem if dear ol' mags and others hadn't sold off all the ccouncil houses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sephiroth)
    I find this thread amusing. You can get a fairly good 40" HD TV for under £500 these days, considering you might get 10 years out of a good TV if you're not well off then you're looking at less than £1 a week. That's hardly going to pay the extra rent on a better home. TVs in other rooms tend to be older CRT type TVs that either used to be in the living room or bought cheap in shops. The price of those things are really low these days.

The fact is you can't control what people spend their money on. Some people may buy cheap food and save up for TVs while others may spend more on food, clothes, travel etc. and can't afford expensive TVs and such. Unless you assess each family individually and get a yearly breakdown of what they intend to spend on necessities you're not going to be able to accurately judge how much they can spend on rent. Doing that would cost more than it's worth. I'm surprised you don't see this kind of situation at uni. The ones complaining about having no money to go out with you are usually those who eat out 3-4 times a week and shop at places like Subway and Starbucks. Some people spend their money in different ways. And I definitely don't believe people should live a miserable life just because they can't afford the rent on a privately owned property.
    Thats me, I spend my savings on electicals i.e I have a 1080p Samsung hd tv, a xbox 360, a quad core pc and widescreen monitor.

Clothes wise I have a £8 pair of jeans, 2 £3 pairs and a £6 pair and about 10 £5 t shirts

If I go on a night out its about 4 times in 3 months and I spend about £10-£20.

But people I know at uni who have brand name clothes, go drinking a lot, go on days out etc think im better off than them as they might just have a laptop and a portable tv.

ReputationRep:
    I hate it when people talk about things they don't understand. I used to live in a council house in a rather nice area. My parents worked two jobs to send me and my sister to school, pay the rent and pay for Sky and other hi tech gadgets. We never took a penny off thegovernment yet people looked down on us because of the council house stereotype. Living in a council house, is no different from living in a flat.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: November 12, 2008
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.