The Student Room Group

A level subject choices

Hey! I'm choosing my A level subjects and I'm thinking about doing economics English literature, psychology and law. Hoping to study Law in University. These days I'm not sure if i should pick between law and sociology a level. Pls help me will sociology be better? Are there anything called soft subjects?
Hey! I'm choosing my A level subjects and I'm thinking about doing economics, English literature, psychology and law. Hoping to study Law in University. These days I'm not sure if i should pick between law and sociology a level. Pls help me will sociology be better? Are there anything called soft subjects?
(Original post by Student6789067)Hey! I'm choosing my A level subjects and I'm thinking about doing economics English literature, psychology and law. Hoping to study Law in University. These days I'm not sure if i should pick between law and sociology a level. Pls help me will sociology be better? Are there anything called soft subjects?

Forget the soft subject nonsense. That sailed years ago. Basically universities have a list of preferred subjects and you need to be taking 2. All the subjects you have stated are preferred subjects so it wont matter. The bigger issue is whether taking 4 subjects is necessary or helpful. All universities make offers on 3 and taking 4 can spread the load too lightly and could cause you grades to be lower. Universities prefer AAA to BBB and your aim should be to get the highest possible grades in 3 subjects whatever that takes
I've finished a levels recently and law was one of my favourite subjects- its not too hard :rave:

For uni, you don't need to do a level law to do a degree in it- any a levels would be sufficient! If you're 100% certain with a law degree, I'd pick law over sociology as it probably gives you the foundation (and also because I have friends that picked both and ended up hating sociology, they're now going to uni for law)

I don't think 'soft subjects' would include any of your a level choices plus who cares if they're 'soft' as long you enjoy what you're doing :biggrin:

(Also try to aim for really good grades to enter prestigious unis as I heard stories of people struggling to find jobs due to the large supply)
Original post by swanseajack1
(Original post by Student6789067)Hey! I'm choosing my A level subjects and I'm thinking about doing economics English literature, psychology and law. Hoping to study Law in University. These days I'm not sure if i should pick between law and sociology a level. Pls help me will sociology be better? Are there anything called soft subjects?

Forget the soft subject nonsense. That sailed years ago. Basically universities have a list of preferred subjects and you need to be taking 2. All the subjects you have stated are preferred subjects so it wont matter. The bigger issue is whether taking 4 subjects is necessary or helpful. All universities make offers on 3 and taking 4 can spread the load too lightly and could cause you grades to be lower. Universities prefer AAA to BBB and your aim should be to get the highest possible grades in 3 subjects whatever that takes

Thank you for taking the time to reply😊. In my school its compulsory to take 4 subjects for the AS level :/ that's why i have to do a 4th subject... I'm planning to drop one at the end of AS so that it won't be a heavy workload for A2! Thank you again <3
Original post by Brrrrrrrrrr6
I've finished a levels recently and law was one of my favourite subjects- its not too hard :rave:

For uni, you don't need to do a level law to do a degree in it- any a levels would be sufficient! If you're 100% certain with a law degree, I'd pick law over sociology as it probably gives you the foundation (and also because I have friends that picked both and ended up hating sociology, they're now going to uni for law)

I don't think 'soft subjects' would include any of your a level choices plus who cares if they're 'soft' as long you enjoy what you're doing :biggrin:

(Also try to aim for really good grades to enter prestigious unis as I heard stories of people struggling to find jobs due to the large supply)

Thank you for replying!! This helped with me clearing the doubt between sociology and law! I'm also interesting in doing law as an a level subject so i think I won't change it for sociology....hope you're a levels went great! Thanks again <3
Original post by Student6789067
Hey! I'm choosing my A level subjects and I'm thinking about doing economics English literature, psychology and law. Hoping to study Law in University. These days I'm not sure if i should pick between law and sociology a level. Pls help me will sociology be better? Are there anything called soft subjects?

If you want to study law then best to study law at A level.
Original post by Wired_1800
If you want to study law then best to study law at A level.

Thank you <33

Quick Reply

Latest