Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I just thought I would share this with the forum, regardless of whether a story like this has been posted before, to remind people to be careful about what they leave in their cars when going swimming.

I have just finished speaking to my mum on the phone, the story is as follows:

Sunday afternoon, Mum, dad and little brother went to the Snowdome in Tamworth to make use of the swimming baths there - whilst they were swimming their locker was broken into, the car keys were stolen along with my dad's wallet and my little brother's wallet. The house keys were all on the same keyring and were therefore stolen too.

The thief took the car and when he reached the exit barrier with no ticket, called the security office and told them he'd lost/dropped the card, they let him through without question.

After swimming they returned to the locker to find all their valuables gone - they contacted security within minutes and called the police to go round to our house to make sure the thief was not there cleaning us out, which luckily he wasn't - bear in mind that our home address and addresses of friends and family are all stored in the COMAND system

Looking at the CCTV, the guy was watching my family as they got out the car and went in, he followed my dad and brother in by jumping over the turnstile without paying to swim, which they are furious about as they should have security watching!

They got a great shot of his face, but he is not known in the area - they hope to find him but the chances of seeing the car ever again are almost nil according to PC Copper, as it has the signs of one of those 'stolen to order' jobs.

Got back last night, they had to change all the locks in the house, costing over £1000, luckily covered on insurance - insurance should pay out on the car (Merc C220) however the book price is now roughly £10,000 less than what was paid for it, but we have to wait a week incase the car is recovered until we find out their offer.

This whole thing is so distressing, I feel sick to the stomach and can only say how glad I am that I'm here in Nottingham and away from it, how could anyone be so heartless as to steal a Young kids' wallet as well as everything else? I think I've truly lost my faith in people.

I would just ask anyone to be careful next time they go swimming, PC Copper says it's very, VERY common!

Please try and delete home addresses from your SatNavs and only take keys/money that you will NEED, and leave as little identification in the car as possible!

Cheers

Chris
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    I just thought I would share this with the forum, regardless of whether a story like this has been posted before, to remind people to be careful about what they leave in their cars when going swimming.

I have just finished speaking to my mum on the phone, the story is as follows:

Sunday afternoon, Mum, dad and little brother went to the Snowdome in Tamworth to make use of the swimming baths there - whilst they were swimming their locker was broken into, the car keys were stolen along with my dad's wallet and my little brother's wallet. The house keys were all on the same keyring and were therefore stolen too.

The thief took the car and when he reached the exit barrier with no ticket, called the security office and told them he'd lost/dropped the card, they let him through without question.

After swimming they returned to the locker to find all their valuables gone - they contacted security within minutes and called the police to go round to our house to make sure the thief was not there cleaning us out, which luckily he wasn't - bear in mind that our home address and addresses of friends and family are all stored in the COMAND system

Looking at the CCTV, the guy was watching my family as they got out the car and went in, he followed my dad and brother in by jumping over the turnstile without paying to swim, which they are furious about as they should have security watching!

They got a great shot of his face, but he is not known in the area - they hope to find him but the chances of seeing the car ever again are almost nil according to PC Copper, as it has the signs of one of those 'stolen to order' jobs.

Got back last night, they had to change all the locks in the house, costing over £1000, luckily covered on insurance - insurance should pay out on the car (Merc C220) however the book price is now roughly £10,000 less than what was paid for it, but we have to wait a week incase the car is recovered until we find out their offer.

This whole thing is so distressing, I feel sick to the stomach and can only say how glad I am that I'm here in Nottingham and away from it, how could anyone be so heartless as to steal a Young kids' wallet as well as everything else? I think I've truly lost my faith in people.

I would just ask anyone to be careful next time they go swimming, PC Copper says it's very, VERY common!

Please try and delete home addresses from your SatNavs and only take keys/money that you will NEED, and leave as little identification in the car as possible!

Cheers

Chris
    a grand to change locks.. ****.. you were robbed there too by the looks of it..

ReputationRep:
    As I say, I wasn't there, just relaying what I've been told - I'm sure she said over £1,000 but he had to let evey body in, off-peak times, I dunno really, I didn't ask..

ReputationRep:
    Good point about deleting home from your sat nav.

I never keep my house keys and car keys on the same fob, for the reason you've mentioned above.

I hope it gets sorted swiftly.

ReputationRep:
    Bloody hell, with that car, i'm not surprised he stole it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Christian_j)
    I feel sick to the stomach and can only say how glad I am that I'm here in Nottingham and away from it,
    You are GLAD you are not besides your family helping and comforting them?

ReputationRep:
    About your little bro's wallet; I agree it was heartless to steal it, but IMO it was heartless to steal your mum/dad's car as well.

ReputationRep:
    we are in a recession. you have to be alert to these things. any person that openly admits to driving a merc is probably an onanist.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah it was heartless to steal your little bro's wallet, but we gotta remember this guy is a criminal. He dont give a toss whose wallet it is, neither does he have the time to check whats inside the wallets.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snookercraze)
    You are GLAD you are not besides your family helping and comforting them?
    God no, don't get me wrong, I wish I could go back and see them, but I'm glad that I didn't have to go through it, I hate the invasion of space of it all and it's pretty upsetting even from here, so I'd hate to have actually had to experience it

ReputationRep:
    Thank U for reminding us

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to hear that. But where else are you supposed to store your keys?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure, the car you may have to let go but it's more about taking preventative action against the thief finding out where you live and using the keys...

ReputationRep:
    well you have changed the locks. **** happens in life. that's what insurance is for.

ReputationRep:
    Deleting the home address wouldn't really help, tbh. All it takes is a look at the recent destinations, and to go to them, if the key fits, it's your house.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rockrunride)
    About your little bro's wallet; I agree it was heartless to steal it, but IMO it was heartless to steal your mum/dad's car as well.
    LOL this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeTSR)
    Deleting the home address wouldn't really help, tbh. All it takes is a look at the recent destinations, and to go to them, if the key fits, it's your house.
    why why why did you post in this 8 month old thread?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lollypop036)
    LOL this.
    Flipping heck, I barely remember posting that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexsheppard11)
    why why why did you post in this 8 month old thread?
    Shiiiiiit sorry, first time I've ever done that, it's just the related threads sidebar doesn't exclude old ones.

Arrgh! :eek:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.