Short chemistry question

Watch this thread
Lemonadestars
Badges: 13
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
2-methylpropene can be obtained by dehydrating 2-methylpropan-1-ol.
(CH3)2CHCH2OH(l) →*(CH3)2C=CH2(g) + H2O(l)
The standard enthalpies of formation of 2-methylpropan-1-ol, 2-methylpropene and water are −335, −17 and −286 kJ mol−1*respectively.
What is the standard enthalpy change for the dehydration of 2-methylpropan-1-ol?

Idk did I done it right, I was thinking since the 2-methylpropan-1-ol did not shows up as a final product, so only add up heat of 2-methylpropan-1-ol and water, is it the right answer?
bl0bf1sh
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
with these kinds of questions, what do you normally need to do if you are given values for standard enthalpies of formation?
Spoiler:
Show
hint
Spoiler:
Show
can you draw a Hess cycle?
Spoiler:
Show
remember the definition of "standard enthalpy of formation" – you need to make sure you use the right numbers

Lemonadestars
Rep:
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
Ty! I tried to calculate it, since formation of water have same enthalpy as these two adds up, so the equation should be -286-(-335-17)=66kJ/mol, is it the right answer?
(Original post by bl0bf1sh)
with these kinds of questions, what do you normally need to do if you are given values for standard enthalpies of formation?
Spoiler:
Show
hint
Spoiler:
Show
can you draw a Hess cycle?
Spoiler:
Show
remember the definition of "standard enthalpy of formation" – you need to make sure you use the right numbers

bl0bf1sh
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
not quite sure what you mean by "formation of water have same enthalpy as these two adds up"?
I got a different value

have you drawn a Hess cycle? are your arrows pointing in the right direction? are you changing the sign (+/-) if you are going the opposite way to the direction of the arrow?

handy page on Hess cycles: https://chemguide.co.uk/physical/energetics/sums.html
charco
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by Lemonadestars)
2-methylpropene can be obtained by dehydrating 2-methylpropan-1-ol.
(CH3)2CHCH2OH(l) →*(CH3)2C=CH2(g) + H2O(l)
The standard enthalpies of formation of 2-methylpropan-1-ol, 2-methylpropene and water are −335, −17 and −286 kJ mol−1*respectively.
What is the standard enthalpy change for the dehydration of 2-methylpropan-1-ol?

Idk did I done it right, I was thinking since the 2-methylpropan-1-ol did not shows up as a final product, so only add up heat of 2-methylpropan-1-ol and water, is it the right answer?
The equation shows the dehydration. If yo are using formation enthalpy then the sum of the formation enthalpies of the products minus the enthalpy of formation of the reactant will give you the reaction enthalpy.

Here is a video that shows you how to apply enthalpy changes to determine reaction enthalpy.

X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads