The Student Room Group

how harshly do examiners mark

hi everyone

Ive just finished my A level exams and generally they went well but I am an extremely bad at spellling and grammar some part due to being dyslexic. How harsh do they gernally mark spelling and grammar in essay based subjects (not english) and would there be a possiblility of my grade being lowered due to poor spelling and grammar.

I understand that if its unreadbe then they cant give marks. I get that 100% but I would hate for something i cant really controll to lose me marks in the exams. I know its all over now anyways so theres not much I can do but would love to know what others think.

thanks
Original post by Rosiemae885
hi everyone

Ive just finished my A level exams and generally they went well but I am an extremely bad at spellling and grammar some part due to being dyslexic. How harsh do they gernally mark spelling and grammar in essay based subjects (not english) and would there be a possiblility of my grade being lowered due to poor spelling and grammar.

I understand that if its unreadbe then they cant give marks. I get that 100% but I would hate for something i cant really controll to lose me marks in the exams. I know its all over now anyways so theres not much I can do but would love to know what others think.

thanks

Hello! I’m assuming that your school knows about your dyslexia? If so, then the exam board would know as well and so may be a bit more lienient about it. Of course if it’s unreadable then you wouldn’t be marked well but assuming that the exam board knows about your dyslexia, I’m sure everything will be fine. Good luck!!
Original post by sickofthis
Hello! I’m assuming that your school knows about your dyslexia? If so, then the exam board would know as well and so may be a bit more lienient about it. Of course if it’s unreadable then you wouldn’t be marked well but assuming that the exam board knows about your dyslexia, I’m sure everything will be fine. Good luck!!

hi I didn't know they did this. My school are aware of it and I know they were able to explain it for coursework units but I didn't realize they could for exams as well. Thank you for this it has definitely put me more at ease.
I think way back when my friend did his History A level exams, the teacher said spelling, grammar and punctuation weren't taken into account? (I could be wrong). But it really depends on the subject. English for example, you'd probably be slightly marked down for 'improper' usages of spelling, grammar and punctuation.
(edited 1 year ago)
hi I didn't know they did this. My school are aware of it and I know they were able to explain it for coursework units but I didn't realize they could for exams as well. Thank you for this it has definitely put me more at ease.

Hi, you’re welcome! Just to add, it might be helpful to contact your school just to make sure this is absolutely the case seeing as A-Levels are just finished. I’m sure it will be fine but confirming that the exam boards know 100% means that you won’t have to worry about it.
hi everyone

thanks

They dont mark harshly, they just mark according to the mark scheme, they will implement whatever is dictated in the specification.

If the spelling or grammar means your answer is incoherent and they cant determine what you meant then i suppose, but if they can read it and understand the point even if it is misspelled or poor grammar, they will mark that.
Original post by mnot
They dont mark harshly, they just mark according to the mark scheme, they will implement whatever is dictated in the specification.

If the spelling or grammar means your answer is incoherent and they cant determine what you meant then i suppose, but if they can read it and understand the point even if it is misspelled or poor grammar, they will mark that.

sorry if the word harsh was the wrong choice but I was just referring to the fact that if someone with dyslexia gets marked down for something they cannot really prevent from happening to some extent in an exam can be quite harsh in my opinion. I'm hoping that as my subject is not English and has no specific marks for spelling i shouldn't get marked down and i agree I'm hoping that if they can read it surely they should mark the content
Original post by Funtimes01_
I think way back when my friend did his History A level exams, the teacher said spelling, grammar and punctuation weren't taken into account? (I could be wrong). But it really depends on the subject. English for example, you'd probably be slightly marked down for 'improper' usages of spelling, grammar and punctuation.

this is what I'm hoping that because its not English I shouldn't lose specific marks fore spelling etc especially if its still readable to some extent

Quick Reply