Some good news for a change!

Watch this thread
mrlittlebigman
Badges: 12
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 1 month ago
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...2k-from-August

Just to show that it isn't always bad news!
Boots offering £42k to newly-qualified-pharmacists is a step in the right direction.
(Disclaimer: I do not work or locum for this company)
Last edited by mrlittlebigman; 1 month ago
Claremont4ever
Badges: 11
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 1 month ago
My back of cigarette packet calculations on a 37.5 hour week points to £21.50/hour. I don't see many NQs rejoicing with this pittance of a wage when they can locum and average £40/hour in the NE with less stress.
mrlittlebigman
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
My back of cigarette packet calculations on a 37.5 hour week points to £21.50/hour. I don't see many NQs rejoicing with this pittance of a wage when they can locum and average £40/hour in the NE with less stress.
Ohhh, I was trying to offer some positive news, as I'm often accused as being v. negative on pharmacy careers. I must admit I hadn't done any sums as I don't smoke!
mrlittlebigman
(Original post by Claremont4ever)
2 points:
Firstly, when the median wage in the UK is c.£26k, I wouldn't call £42k a year a pittance. Certainly in some deprived areas of the NE, where you live, that is probably 2 to nearly 3 times what people earn there. Obviously people have worked hard for their degree, but that's another discussion.
I'm sure SarahH, who lives in your area could tell us what kind of lifestyle you could afford there, with £42k a year? I'm sure it wouldn't be too bad?

Secondly, you only earn your £40/hour because of location and circumstance. As many other have pointed out to you, if you look on any locum site, and from emails I receive from locateAlocum, the rates, certainly in and around the Midlands range from £19.50, which, yes is pretty bad, up towards £30 for short notice, and £30-£40 for emergency and 'nightmare' shops. Much of the work tends to be £23, £25, then £28/30 on Saturdays if you want to book a couple of months ahead in shops you know.
If you're happy to go anywhere, any times, then you can earn £30/hr, yes, but it is usually all work coming up this week or next that has not been covered. I don't think , down here, that you could build a reliable high income, of the type you mention, without being extremely flexible and not minding which companies or branches you work for, and willing to travel, do early morning and late night supermarket work and also work Sat and Sun too.
(If anyone else uses that site and can offer a contribution from another area of the country besides the NE and Midlands that would be helpful!)

And...if the multiples decide to do a mass recruitment from abroad, which they could do now, as pharmacy has been put on the shortage occupation list, then the rates and even vacancies for locums will drop like a stone. I've seen it happen twice before in the late 90s, and then again in the 2000s. I probably still have the letter in my files somewhere, that Lloyds sent out saying they were cutting their rates. (this was about 20-ish yrs ago when they did their European recruitment drive.)
ChillBear
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
I guess we can put the new starting salaries from the multiple here to give context what a realistic wage for pharmacists is in 2022. And mind you this is an increase as of recent, it was substantially lower previously.
quasa
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 1 month ago
(Original post by ChillBear)
I guess we can put the new starting salaries from the multiple here to give context what a realistic wage for pharmacists is in 2022. And mind you this is an increase as of recent, it was substantially lower previously.
Also worth adding info re band6 and 7 wages as well as industry roles
mrlittlebigman
Tesco have increased their locum rates! but...... there's a cap.
https://www.chemistanddruggist.co.uk...-from-mid-July
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest

How did The Student Room help you with your university application?

Talking to current university students (12)
17.65%
Talking to peers going through the same thing (24)
35.29%
Speaking to student ambassadors from the universities (5)
7.35%
Speaking to staff members from universities (1)
1.47%
Using the personal statement builder, library or helper service (7)
10.29%
Reading articles about what steps to take (14)
20.59%
Learning about/speaking to Student Finance England (2)
2.94%
Something else (tell us in the thread) (3)
4.41%

Watched Threads